Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One final white beaded inset cabinet question . . .

Posted by maggie530 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 18:36

I have to put the deposit down on my cabinets this week. (Using Miller's Dutch Haus - the cabinet maker who did Tinker 2006's kitchen). I have been going back and forth for months now on bead/no bead, slab front drawer/5 piece drawer.

I emailed the cabinet company and said we had finally decided to go with beaded inset, slab front drawers. They responded by asking if I wanted slab doors also. WHAT? There's slab doors also? I swear I have looked at Gardenweb pictures for the last six months and even the kitchens with slab front drawer fronts have five piece doors.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but could someone please save me some time and help me find a beaded inset all slab kitchen?

Thanks,
Maggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One final white beaded inset cabinet question . . .

Hard for me to find... These are close but the side panel and the door are still 5 piece. I have no idea of your kitchen plan but all slab seems way too flat for ME.

o

Thanks, I kept looking and never found a beaded inset slab door. Every kitchen has had the 5 piece doors. I think I must have misunderstood.

o

I'm sure they exist. You can do whatever you like : ) They probably just asked to clarify as they don't want to assume anything.

o

I am going and making slab drawers and doors. I love its clean, smooth look that lets the bead be the decoration.

After literally years of looking at cabinets that didn't wow me, I saw a pic of a dresser with slab drawers. My jaw dropped, my eyes rolled back in my head, I started to shake and I screamed, "THAT'S IT!!!!!"

So... slab and beaded inset it is.

Iin other rooms I keep finding myself going Shaker. Again, a nice flat panel. I'm fighting that, because of a 17' bank of cabs in my MBR, but I'm just love them, too.

But I keep returning to the smoothness of the slabs. Saves a bunch of money, too. :)

o

CEF, can you post some of your progress? I always like hearing what you are up to and would love to see what you have done so far.

o

Here are inset slab doors (note that they are not beaded).

photo CIMG1272_zps92cd9610.jpg

o

francoise47,
The drawers in your picture are slab, but the door is not.

maggie530,
It doesn't matter if you can find a picture of slab doors. You can have them if that's what you want. They aren't normally done because of the problem with warping and swelling, particularly with large doors. You see them more on contemporary cabinets that are full overlay, because the swelling problem isn't as much of an issue then.

o

Hi Catbuilder,

Now I'm confused And curious...
What makes the door in the picture I posted above not a slab. And what would you call that kind of door?
For future reference I'd love to know because I really like that clean, spare style.

(I thought a slab inset door was a door constructed of one piece, not a raised panel or recessed panel door. But I'm not a professional kitchen designer!)

o

francoise- the door you posted is a 5 piece door. It has the "frame" around the center panel. A slab would be totally flat like the drawers are.

o

We have made a lot of inset with bead cabinets and have never done slab doors with it. Slab df yes but not doors.

Travis Alfrey
Pinehurst, NC

o

Hi 2littlefishies -- thanks!
I was just looking at the slab drawers.
(I need my morning coffee.)

o

I think catbuilder has a good point. I think that the swelling/warping issue would sway me away from them on inset cabinets.

o

Thank you all, I think I finally get it!

o

Thank you all, I think I finally get it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here