Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is stainless really on the way out??

Posted by horseyonz (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 18:35

I kinda hope so...is integrated (panels) still in? What is the new must have in kitchen appliances?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is stainless really on the way out??

No, stainless remains VERY strong in all mid grade appliance selections. In upper end appliances, it's always been THE thing to have in ranges and cooking equipment. Color has crept it's way into that realm though. As in red, eggplant, royal blue. It remains a minor trend, but it's more significant than it was 5 years ago. For refrigeration, your slip is showing panels are out, and fully integrated where's the fridge is in. Steam ovens seem to be the new gadgets that are must haves for the now, with warming drawers taking a back seat to them.

o

I think it depends on the look you are trying to achieve. I felt like panels were a no-no in my kitchen. My cabinets are white and my panels would be white and I have 2 active boys and everyone seems to hang out at our house. I also have water/ice on the outside of our SubZero, so panels don't look to great with that feature. So, I see dirty hands on my white panels.
I am putting panels on my ice maker and dishwasher - they flank my sink area.
If your fridge is a focal wall, then maybe panels would be better.
I agre with Greendesigns....the steam oven is really in...I can't wait to get mine!
I also think a trend is microwaves being "hidden." Instead of being built into the cabinets like an oven, people are hiding them in an appliance garage or like me, I will put it in my walk in pantry. We only use it to re-heat coffee and make popcorn.
I think the bottom line is to make your kitchen what you want it to be! Function is often more important than fashion!
Enjoy your new kitchen!
Pam

o

The cooktop in my previous c.1961 kitchen was stainless, as was the sink and faucet. The dishwasher had a panel to match the cabs. The original fridge was white, but it had a custom cabinet around it. So I'd say that both stainless and panels are timeless, or at least they keep coming back.

o

No, I think it will now stay as an option.

Integrated panels continue to make inroads particularly for dishwashers, but most people will not spend $5000-10000 on a built in fridge, and I think panels on an obvious fridge are not so popular anymore, so panels will always be "in" at one tier of the market.

Colors occasionally rear their heads. I would buy colored appliances, but only ranges and laundry appliances show much diversity here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here