Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ikea boxes and xyz doors?

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 18:34

When buying Doors & Drawers for the IKEA boxes from other vendors, how do you know what sizes to order? I already have the boxes, should I just measure the opening and deduct 1/8 or something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ikea boxes and xyz doors?

I think if you tell them the boxes, they know all of the sizes for the doors (assuming you use a company that is familiar with and does doors for Ikea). Best to call them (Scherrs, Barker, etc.) and ask them the process.

Bonnie

This post was edited by bons on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 21:03

o

With Scherrs, all you have to do is email your Ikea plan to them (you can do that through the Ikea software program) and they go from there. As my 5yo says, "easy peasey lemon squeezy." :)

o

My husband has a friend who can get us a good deal on doors and drawers. I'm convinced the quality will be fine, but I doubt this company will know about IKEA - I think we need to know exactly what to ask for.

Do you think measuring from side to side and top to bottom and subtracting 1/8 inch from each should do it?

o

You would be better off getting to an ikea and buying some cheap doors for templates. You can probably find some in as-is and for others get Harlig, which starts at around 5 bucks a door. Door vendors not familiar with the whole Ikea line (Scherr is, but AFAIK they're the only one) need not only the overall measurements but also the drilling patterns.

I know that Shelayne had to do quite a bit of work for her Advantage doors. You might post a shoutout for her. I haven't seen her in here recently, but she posted in Smaller Homes a couple of days ago.

o

A whole cottage industry has sprung up around building custom doors for Ikea cabinets, chosen because they're inexpensive, decent quality, and (crucially) they sell cabinets boxes to comsumers separately without requiring doors to be bought with them. Besides Scherr, there's also Semihandmade, Palette Doors, and several others.

o

writersblock has a good idea. We used Scherrs and all we had to do was send them our plans. We wanted them to bore the holes for us. I believe IKEA uses metric tools so you want to be exact. Part of the beauty of IKEA is their "innards" so it would be worth the extra few $$ to buy one of each size door/drawer so they can be made and bored properly.

o

Yes, semihandmade is just for ikea, so they know, but I feel pretty sure that for advantage, cabinetnow, barkers, maplecraft, etc. you're in charge of providing all the specs, not just that you have a 21" three drawer base, or a 30" x 39" wall cabinet, for example, the way you can with Scherrs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here