Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Layout - Reposted and Cab Design ? (pic hvy)

toddimt
14 years ago

Well I haven't been here in a while. had a very frustrating couple of months. My hard drive crashed and I lost my plans. Luckily I had one older backup copy but took a long time to get back to where I was.

Spent this time meeting with a cabinet maker as well as going to the Design building in NY to attend a Miele cooking class in their showroom as well as visit the sub zero/wolf showroom all under one roof.

I think I am close to meeting with an architect to go over my plans. I wanted to repot the layout to first see if there are any issues I am overlooking.

One thing I would love feedback on is the cabinet wall that contains my Fridge, Double Oven and Pantry pullouts. They are shown in the last pic below in the order noted from left to right. The fridge is to be paneled. I was looking at the Subzero built-in over/under (not the integrated model) since it has a larger fridge compared to other units like the Miele. The drawback is that the subzero has the panel on the top of the fridge that tilts up for access to the water filter and condenser coil. So trying to make the paneled fridge look good with the surrounding cabinetry. This model fridge is also CD but the door sticks out 2". The Miele is the second choice but larger freezer space thus less fridge space. The plus is the depth w/the panel is the same as the surrounding cabinets and there isn't the tilt up panel on the top to deal with. Any feedback here would be great.

Comments (10)

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think I'd like the dw with the panel as if it was one tall pullout instead of the drawer and door. Something about the proportions.

I wonder if you could make the top panel of the ref as two taller panels that snapped out OR were attached as a pull out front to the tiny cabinet (pullout attaches to the center of the door panel so it covers both the cabinet and the access to the compressor...

Other than that, lievherr 48 - the one that is 3/4 ref and 1/4 freezeer OR the 30" sub zero plus ref drawers by the range?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Or maybe 3 drawers for the dishwasher, or a drawer and dbl doors? I'd try Bmore's suggestion and a few others to see if you can get better balance there.

I also agree about the panels about the fridge...Something not right and too busy there, I think.

And I thought we'd worked on getting a good balance with the uppers around the windows that I'm not sure you have now. But maybe this was it. (Is the knob right on the far left glass upper? Are you opening it from the kitchen or dining?)

So, did you learn a lesson about backing up your hard drive? ;-) Really, I'm so sorry that happened. How frustrating. My computer died gradually, so I was lucky and had a chance to get an external hard drive and back things up.

Glad to see you back and your project underway.

Oooh...I wonder if you emailed me any of the latter drawings?! I'll check.

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

Hmm. I like drawers a lot. All drawer lower cabinets are the rage. Wondering, though, if there is some way to vary the visual variety of drawers on the rangetop wall. Maybe vertical storage with pullouts here or there? Spice rack pullouts? Something about the configuration is unsettling to me.

The smaller glass cabinet to the left of the sink looks odd to me without a mate. Any chance that cabinet stretch could be configured into one larger glass fronted upper?

Have you ruled out a flip top cabinet for above the subzero? It would be hard to access even with doors, so you'd probably use it for rarely used party items or such? A stool will probably be needed for any cabinetry that high. Could it even be something other than a cabinet? A display shelf, for example? The kitchen could use some of those little feminine touches, perhaps.

As far as the cabinetry above the oven, many manufacturers warn that things above the oven can ignite or burn. To be safe, I'd recommend that you think about if you could eliminate the cabinet and do a nice bit of wall treatment there - - perhaps a place for a wall clock or ceramic plate in an accent color?

• toddimt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is a layout using the Miele Fridge

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

The Miele fridge does look great. Much better than the layout with the Sub-Zero. I don't have the fridge, but I love the dishwasher and the vacuum. Service that I have needed was exceptionally fast and pleasant but technical support at Miele is sometimes confused and inconsistent from person to person.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plumeriavine,

Not sure if you were reffering to the tripple upper that is glass to the left of the sink or the left most upper. The left most one should of had the opening from the left not the right. If you mean that there needs something on the other side of the sink, I think I will be OK. When doinf this design over and over, I have a smaller window and uppers on the other side of the sink that went around the corner. The issue was that this messed up any symetry on either side of the hood and it did not look right. The suggestion was then to just put cabinets on the range wall without wrapping around the corner since there is equal distance on both sides of the rangetop/hood. The suggestion was then to make the upper on the left side of the window glass to create something that stands on its own. Having an upper without glass looked more out of place. But will take any suggestions since this is still a work in progress.

As fas as the fridge goes, I think I have more options with the Miele or Thermador. Subzero has the integegrated line that is fully flush and no grate at the top but when I compared the Miele to theis Subzero, the Miele wins hands down in terms of looks on the inside. Much better looking build quality, The Subzero looked cheap compared to their built-in unit. Also, if I use the Miele or Thermador, I could technically extend the door all the way up to meet the height of the other cabinets as well and eliminate the other door/cabinet at the top. Not sure how much in reality I will have after the crown. I think the baninet guy wants to add a wood filler strip below the crown since the ceiling is mostlikely not level all the way around.

Bmore,

I have seen DW panels that have what looks like the top drawer and the the door on the bottom. It may just look wierd in the rendering since I had to zoom out to try and fit the entire run of cabients. When that happens, things sometimes get distorted. It culd also be done with drawer fronts all the way down but if I did that I would also need to do that with the trash pullout on the otherside of the sink since the trash pullout would look odd being the only other "door" besides what is under the sink. Thanks for the other fridge recommendations. Right now I have a 36" wide fridge spec'd. Would love a 48 but don't really have the room. Would love fridge drawers as well but don't thinbk I would be able to give up the drawer space to the right of the rangetop. I don't think I can afford to give up any of the drawer space since there is not that much to begin with.

I am now looking at the uppers on the range wall and the hood and looking for other options as well. Seems a little plain. Could be that its just a rendering so hard to get a good pic but throwing it out there if there are other ideas :).

I also seemed to have solved the issue with the drawer layout on the range wall. By putting together the bottom two drawers, for the ones flanking the rangetop, it seemd to make the layout much better. This now breaks up the run and seems to make you eye look at the draw stacks in three destinct groups. Those in the left corner, the middle below the range top and then those all the way to the right.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

2 thumbs up. Can't wait to see your new kitchen come to life!

I still like a wood hood for your kitchen. You always seemed to prefer them, and I think it would be something that might disappoint you if you change your mind now. I always liked the one in the kitchen linked below...Very simple, but elegant in that, and with the ability to dress up with the display items...But those may or may not be your thing. Usually not mine, but I think this is a nice look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission kitchen w wood hood

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

The drawers in the corner to the L of the sink won't open! They'll hit the knobs on the cabs on the opposite corner.

I, uh, kinda made that mistake once.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

Also, are those pullouts or reg cabs on either side of the range? If they're cabs, they'll be practically worthless unless you set them up with horizontal dividers for baking stuff and casseroles.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Reyesuela,

The corner is designed to be a Blum spacecorner. This pulls out from the corner as one corner drawer. I.e both drawer fronts on each side of the corner are actually one drawer.

As far as the doors on the bottom flanking the rangetop, they will be drawers. I thought maybe my stand mixer in one am Rhome410 gave me the idea about maybe using the other for cutting boards. Or maybe I'll put pot lids.