Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeysucklevine_gw

Looking for pics dark grout & 5x5 or 4x4 white tile

honeysucklevine
14 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of 4x4 or 5x5 white tile with dark grout?

Comments (16)

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Mine are bigger, 6x8, but I do have dark grout. Since no one else has answered yet, ...

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Wow that is a beautiful kitchen...your tiles look wonderful along with the white cabinets, counter and hardware.

• bireland
    14 years ago

Segbrown, what color grout is that? It looks great! We just ordered pewter grout for matte white tiles and I woke up this AM feeling nervous about it. Feeling better now. Thx

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Segbrown. What brand and color did you use?

All the pictures I have seen of dark grout have some kind of white rectangular tile and I have never seen square tile.

Does it look bad?

(There is a tile I like that is square and I like brick patterns.)

• segbrown
    14 years ago

bireland, I did the same thing! In fact I emailed our kd late at night and said No, we need to change. Then the tile guy came a day early and I wasn't there when he grouted, so it got put up anyway, and I love it.

Yes, that's pewter, and I think it's by Custom, but I'm not positive. The grout lines are very tightly spaced, so I think that's why it isn't overpowering.

Honeysucklevine, I don't know that I've seen many square ones either. I see your problem. Have you asked over in the Bath forum?

Here's what I could find; excuse the last photo, but the wall is similar:

Which makes me think, maybe it's more "bathroomy" (even though there are subway tiles in bathrooms, too) than "kitcheny"? IDK...

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the grout info and the soldier pattern.

I would love to see the brick pattern if anyone has a picture.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Not exactly a kitchen backsplash, but here's one a friend did from John Bridge's forum:

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill, does a brick pattern 4x4 or 5x5 white tile with dark grout look bad? (Why do we only see subways with dark grout?)

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Those look like at least 6 in., don't you think? I would worry about doing smaller, like it would be all lines.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those are pretty, jlaa. Thanks!

What on earth is the size? If the hood is at 30 inches and there are 4 rows, then does that mean they are 7.5 inches tall?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Bill, does a brick pattern 4x4 or 5x5 white tile with dark grout look bad? (Why do we only see subways with dark grout?)

Let me put it this way-- it would look no better or worse than what you see in the picture I posted.

Now, as to whether or not it would look "bad", that's up to you. My opinion, nor anyone else's would count. One thing to keep in mind, though-- if you're going to use a grout with that much contrast, the tile work had damn well be perfect, because if there's so much as 1/32" variation in a cut, or the size of a grout joint, it'll be seen bigtime. THAT'S why very few people will choose to use that much contrast. That, and the fact that it tends to overpower any other design feature in the room. But some people like that. Me personally, I like the look of that tub enclosure. It's the reason I saved it when it got posted about 5 years ago. But I'm in the minority.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Bill.

Bill, what size tile do you think those are in these pictures?

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown size

• jlaa
    14 years ago

I didn't think to check this earlier -- the website the photos originally came from says the tiles are 15x15cm, so.. 6x6?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Guaranteed they're 6x6.

• honeysucklevine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the picture and Bill thinks the tile is 6x6.
    {{!gwi}}

My favorite square tile is 5x5.

Would 5x5 look good or bad with dark grout?