Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

Looking for images of contemporary kitchens with built-in hoods

LE
11 years ago

I'd planned on a chimney style, but I'm re-thinking it. Most of the examples I've seen are very traditional, many are even what I'd call ornate. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!). I know I've seen some less ornamented options, but that was when I wasn't looking for them.

Background: Kitchen is open to living area, cabs are likely to be slabs, or possibly Shaker. Cooktop will be 36" induction, oven and fridge won't be seen from living area, so nothing that shouts "kitchen" across the room. Most examples I see like this are all lacquered and glossy, which is also not what we're aiming for.

Clear as mud?

Comments (14)

• LE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found this example today,which was what reminded me of how few I'd seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: contemporary built-in hood example

• User
    11 years ago

Terminology matters. A "chimney" hood is metal and out in the open honest with no apologies hood. It's usually contemporary.

A "mantle" style hood is usually an insert covered with cabinetry to faux pretend a nod to a fireplace mantle. It's usually very traditional.

Your description is kinda mixed as to what you are exactly talking about. Clarify please. Include some images if that will help.

• LE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks hollysprings. I see now that I left out an entire sentence! It was in my title, but I lost it from the text.

What I meant to say was that I was originally only considering a chimney style, then I saw an example or two of contemporary built-in hoods. I've only found one example today, see previous link, but although it is enclosed with cabinetry, it isn't very "mantel-like" to me.

I hope that's clearer!

More background: The house is not built yet, the style is hard to characterize, but I suppose Modern Farmhouse is as close as anything. The shape is somewhat traditional, but the floors are concrete, some of the exterior walls are corrugated metal (the rest is board and batten). Some type of mantel shape could work with the farmhouse vibe, but it could not have a lot of ornament, curvy corbels, etc.

• LE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, aloha-- this is helpful-- that last one is a good example for the Shaker option. The first 3 are examples of the version of contemporary that is too sleek for this house, if you know what I mean. (It is literally a house in a clearing in the woods on an island.)

I still don't know the right terminology, though-- no wonder I'm having trouble finding examples!

The more examples, the better. Anyone else?

• Fori
    11 years ago

I used this in my last kitchen. (My kitchen wasn't contemporary exactly--just small.) If you use cabinets over it, it sort of disappears. There are other slideout models and they do work. (I chose this one because it had the highest CFM available at the time.)

Someone makes a slideout that gets the front paneled to match your cabinets if you really want to hide that sucker.

A nice feature of slideouts is that tall people don't cuss when they bang their heads into the hood. They just pull the hood out again. I keep a tall person around and found this useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://appliances.monogram.com/ApplProducts/ZV800SJSS

• pentimento
    11 years ago

Found this one on Houzz, your thoughts? I'll keep looking, too. I'm sighing over the 'house in a clearing in the woods on an island'. When I was a young girl my family lived on Vancouver Island in BC, and we'd visit some of the smaller islands and coastal areas to go fishing. Love the PNW.

If you use the link below it will take you to more pics of the kitchen (by Sullivan Building and Design Group) so you can get a better overall feel of the range hood in the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic modern kitchen on Houzz

• sochi
    11 years ago

Sounds like a magical spot you have. Are any of these images closer to what you have in mind? The second one is my favourite.

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

I think segbrown's hood is a good example of a non-kitchen-y hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: segbrown's finished kitchen

• LE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Fori, that one is almost invisible, isn't it? Do you have a photo of yours installed? I think I looked for it on the Finished kitchens blog based on something you wrote on another thread, but I wasn't able to find it.

Pentimento-- that is the very image I was trying to find again! I saw it, but could not remember where to save my life! Thanks so much. That does look like it could fit in a 20th century house in the woods! I have had a hard time finding anything similar because I had no idea what to call it.

I like that one a lot, so I did look at the rest of the room. "Rustic Modern," they call it-- I like that term, too. That one is in between 2 windows, though, so I'd have to come up with a creative solution to fit it in between 2 cabs. Our kitchen will be fairly small, so although I can give up the space above the hood, I'll have to have uppers on both sides.

Sochi, thanks for the images (and I am a huge admirer of your kitchen, by the way.) it is fun to see people coming up with some lateral solutions. I might be more innovative if I thought I could do without uppers! (And it is a sweet spot we have-- we've been camping on it and cooking outdoors for 20 years!)

Tracyerin, thanks for the link. I like the way that one works with the surrounding cabinetry.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to send these. It may be a year before these are built, but I will let you know how it turns out!

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Lori, I can't locate the kitchen which was posted around December of last year that had the horizontal white boards going aroung the kitchen, including the range hood. There was a wreath on the hood and an owl painting on the wall to the right of the hood. Then chunky lit floating shelves are on the wall which joins the hood. I believe there are quartersawn oak base cabinets. If someone could find that range hood and post it here for lori as another example I would appreciate it.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Lori, I think this is the kitchen texasgal was referring to.

Here is a link that might be useful: horizontal plank kitchen

• Fori
    11 years ago

I don't have many pictures since it isn't MY kitchen any more (sorry new guys!). As you can tell, I decided against trying to hide appliances when I went with keeping the old unmatching cheapie oven. (It baked so perfectly...) Hood is mounted higher than standard (and photographer is short) so you can see the hood bottom more than normal. I don't have any finished pictures I can find but close enough.

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Mabeldingeldine, yes, you nailed it with the kitchen I couldn't find -- thanks!

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer