Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil rubbed bronze light with brushed nickel hardware?

Posted by tblmom (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 18:25

I just wanted to start off by saying how helpful this forum has been! It's the first place I go to for ideas.

I am getting the Adel Medium Brown cabinets and found a drum pendant I loved for the dining room (kitchen will be open to the dining room). The chain is oil rubbed bronze, as is the geometric pattern around the outside of the pendant. The hardware and faucet in the kitchen is a brushed nicked. The two areas are small, so the light fixture is fairly close to the cabinets.

I've noticed that most people try to match lighting to hardware at least in shade of color...but would it be terrible to not match them even in the slightest? The bronze matches the cabinets, at least. There is a matching mini-pendant that I may get for above the sink so the main light doesn't seem like a random after thought.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil rubbed bronze light with brushed nickel hardware?

We did something very similar. We removed walls and the kitchen is now open to the dining room. Our pulls, faucet and pendants in the kitchen are all satin nickel, but the light above the dining room table has a black stem:

Photobucket

Here's the view from the dining room towards the kitchen:

Photobucket

We also used similar semi-flush lights at either end next to the kitchen, which you can almost see at the very left near the french door:

Photobucket
HTH

o
RE: Oil rubbed bronze light with brushed nickel hardware?

I was researching this a few days ago as well, and found some articles that said this is not considered wrong from a design standpoint. It sounded like it was more acceptable to mix finishes now, and some people prefer the not so matchy look anyway. I was curious because I have 3 rooms that flow together and I have brushed nickel in two rooms. In the 3rd room I wanted to put in a ORB light. I think it will work fine. I actually just replaced the windows with ORB double curtain rods (and these flow through two rooms).

I also read that if you can add at least a couple pieces in that particular finish it will look even better.... so I felt having the curtain rods and the light would make it work, but I think even without, it's ok. Buy what you love, that is most important!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here