Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2cohen

Drawers or cabinet under cooktop?

mom2cohen
14 years ago

What do you recommend? Two deep drawers or one regular cabinet?

We are putting in a 36" gas rangetop (the kind with the knobs on the front).

Thanks for your recommendations!

Comments (21)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

most people on this forum love their drawers. I'm going to do drawers myself.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I grew up with drawers and they were really functional. Over the years most of the lower cabinets in that kitchen that weren't drawers have had pullouts added

• iceqween13
    14 years ago

Drawers without question.

LOVE my pots being directly under my cooktop (induction); 2 large ones.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

Drawers. Think about getting something from the back, especially from the lowest shelf: typically you have to bend or literally get on the floor, then pull the front stuff out first and put it back. With drawers, a pull gives you equal access to the stuff in the back or the front, and everything stays much neater.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Drawers

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Drawers! I have two deep ones where I store my pots & pans and a very shallow one where I keep my most used cooking utensils and a couple of potholders. I love having them easily accessible right where I use them.
    Lynn

• melissastar
    14 years ago

In my last kitchen, I actually had open pull out shelves...basically drawers with no fronts. And I loved them. Of course, it had a more industrial look...and I happened to have a good new set of caphalon pots and pans. I plan to do it again, but if I did want to hide the pans more, no question I'd use drawers. WAY more convenient than a cabinet.

• dcwesley
    14 years ago

Another vote for drawers. I am counting the days until our cabinets come in. (For years I have had a cabinet under the cooktop. Getting to the things in the back bottome has always been difficult requiring getting down onto my knees, crawling into the cupboard, moving things in front, dragging out the pan in pack, putting the other pans back into the cabinet, and getting back onto my feet.) Did I mention I vote for drawers?

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

Drawers would definitely have been a better option for me. I have a pair of shallow drawers under the cooktop, side by side, one has a knife block. Under that, I have cabinets with pull-outs. Cabinets with pull-outs make no sense!! Drawers would have been much better. One motion instead of two. Hindsight is 20/20. . .

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Drawers are fantastic! Check though...you may actually be able to have a 3rd drawer. It will be shallow and may have a cut-out section for the gas line, but in many cases it can be done. I really wish I had done it. It's not too late...I just need to knock out the false front and build a shallow drawer. It will be great for storing cooking utensils.

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

I am not thinking that you can do the knobs on the front of the stove and a third drawer. Just in case it helps anyone else, here is what happened in my shallow drawers.

First, the knife block. The larger knives cannot fit in the shallow knife block. They hit the top of the cabinet.
    Small knives, no problem. Original design was for the knife block to be on the right side. The regulator thing on the cook-top prevented that, so we were able to put the knife block on the left. No problem with that. We are getting used to the change.

{{!gwi}}

The next drawer is the drawer on the right. Note the on-site modification of the drawer to make a cut-out for the regulator. We knew the regulator was there on the cook-top before ordering the drawer. This is how our designer chose to solve the problem. I think another solution would have been to make the drawer less deep. Same difference to me.

There are other issues with these drawers. Thankfully, the problems will be handled by the designer ASAP. Things to think about if you are planning shallow drawers.

{{!gwi}}

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Definitely drawers. I LOVED mine in my old house. I had 3 under a gas cooktop but my knobs were on the counter, not in front. You might not have room for 3.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

DRAWERS! If I had to give up all of my major drawers (not counting the little ones for utensils and such, I guess) but one bank in my kitchen, the 2 big ones under my rangetop would be the ones I'd keep.

• kathy_wa
    14 years ago

I really wanted drawers, but I also am getting a 36" gas *range*top (viking) with the knobs on the front. It requires something like 8" or more in vertical depth. We figured the standard Kraftmaid 2-drawer just didn't give us the clearance - (neither did a farmhouse sink cabinet because I am using full overlay doors - make sure your designer reads the fine print in the spec book!)

To be sure we had adequate clearance, I ended up buying a 21" tall refrigerator cabinet - I'm putting the rangetop on top of that with a small 1.5" filler. It will have pullout shelves, so will function pretty much like a set of drawers - just the extra step of opening the cabinet doors first.

If you're going custom cabinetry, you'll have no such worries :)

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

I have 2 deep drawers. Love them for storing pots and pans.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Definitely drawers! Not cabinet doors...regardless of shelf type (stationary or roll out tray shelves (ROTS)). Not only does it take 3 motions to open/close instead of one w/ROTS, but you also have to move out of the way of the doors b/c they always have to be opened fully. Oh, and when closing, with ROTS you have to wait until they close completely b/f you can close those doors. (A 36" cabinet will have two doors, not one, so it will be 3 motions to open/close...open door 1, open door 2, pull out ROTS/push in ROTS, wait for it to close completely, close door 1, close door 2.)

Also, with the taller sides...(1) things won't fall off, especially the lids, and (2) the handles of the pots & pans will be kept inside the drawer, not be able to hang off the sides and get caught on the cabinet frame when the ROTS is pulled out.

• trudymom
    14 years ago

drawers for pots and pans.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Another vote for drawers. I have all drawers on my lowers. Love them.

• salal_08
    14 years ago

I saw some stainless steel pullout racks at two of the local kitchen designers and really liked the look. I ended up getting a Bertazzoni stand in the "scratch & dent" section of a local appliance store. My cooktop is 2 burner gas, 2 burner induction, both Gaggenau. I had a local sheet metal company make a new top to fit the Gaggenau burners. I really like it but with either the open racks or my shelves there will be more dusting than you would have with drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: bertazzoni stand

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

I have 2 big pot/pan drawers under my gas cooktop (knobs on top though). I love them!