Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Foot Pedal for Framed Trash Cabinets

sail_away
16 years ago

I've done a search here, as well as on Google (for this domain), and I cannot find any instructions for how to install the foot pedal control for a trash cabinet that is framed, rather than frameless. I've seen a few references to the fact that the pedals are designed for the frameless cabinets and that someone figured out how to use them with framed cabinets; but I can't find the actual information. Can anyone help?

Comments (13)

• Buehl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are some pictures and instructions from MeToo2 in the Home Galleries. Here are the links to those pictures:

From the "Pull Out Trash" thread started by ColdTropics on Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 2:43

Posted by metoo2 (My Page) on Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 19:27

Front View when cabinet is shut:
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_fron.html?cat=kitchens

View of foot pedal when cabinet is open. Keep in mind this view will be hidden when trash cans are in the cabinet:
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_door.html?cat=kitchens

Metal plate mounted on bottom back of door. This is the plate that is 3.5" tall--to deal with a face framed cabinet:
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_meta.html?cat=kitchens

Finally, looking at the bottom of the cabinet. Glued a scrap of wood to the back of the face frame.
    http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/pull_out_trash_foot_pedal_unde.html?cat=kitchens

Posted by metoo2 (My Page) on Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 20:01

muscat: The rails are always attached to the door-regardless of whether your trash cans hang from a rail, or your trash cans sit on a base. In your picture, the cans sit on a base.

I believe that my modifications will also work with your situation (cans sitting on a base). However, you will need to make one minor modification that I did not do. That modification has to do with the elastic cords that come with the pedal.

Elastic cords (ie, bungee cords) pull the door open when the pedal is kicked. You would have to alter where the front of the cords are mounted inside the cabinet. Very easy to do.

Earlier posts on this thread refer to a version of the Hafele pedal for trash cans which sit on a base. I have not seen this product. I suspect they use the identical pedal, but altered the instructions relative to the location where to mount the elastic cords.

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 11:02

I'm not sure what the door mount kit is, but you have to have a pull out trash in order for the foot pedal to work.

In other words, your trash bins should be hanging from a rail attached to the door OR sitting on a shelf attached to the door. The door should pull open like a drawer (not swing open like a normal cab) and as it pulls open the trash bins come out with it.

Note that Haefele makes two different pedals, one for the bins hanging from rails and one for the bins sitting on the shelf. I'm not clear on which one you've linked to above. Also note that these foot pedals are designed for frameless cabs. I don't know if they can or have been used on framed cabs and would be interested to hear about that if anyone has.

Here are the links I have to the two kinds of Haefele pedals:

Pedal for trash can which hangs from rails

Pedal for trash can which sits on base

Note: In both cases, the foot pedals are on the bottom of the pages

• muscat
    16 years ago

Is meetoo around, or does anyone know what brand her foot pedal is?

• alku05
    16 years ago

Does anyone besides Hafele (posted above) even make pedal openers???

• sail_away
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Buehl---

With all you have going on at home, you took the time to find this information for me. I appreciate it!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

You're welcome. It actually wasn't too hard to find since I saved the thread before it fell off. I plan on doing what MeToo2 did with the Hele foot pedal. I think MeToo2 used the same one. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen another foot pedal anywhere else...could Häfele be the only manufacturer???!!??

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Thanks, Buehl, for posting the links to MeToo2's pics on Home Galleries. Its something I'd like to do under the sink.

I'm wondering if there is any way to hide the piece of metal that hangs down from the bottom of the door panel. Recessing it back 2" would require adding a 2" spacer to the door panel and the pedal would also have to be recessed requiring the cabinet box (& face frame) to be cut back 2". Hmmm ... wonder if that would work? Well, I'm off to talk to my very innovative DH, :)

• sail_away
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Napagirl, Be sure to post back and tell/show us what you did to make these work.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Any update NapaGirl?

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Calling NapaGirl....

• sting
    15 years ago

I would like one of these also. I'm still not sure if I can get one to work on my set up. Should one of these kits work for me?

• alku05
    15 years ago

Sting, the brown Hafele pedal should work fine for you. It's designed to work with cans that sit on a movable base, which is basically what you have.

• melleigh_2008
    15 years ago

I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to get our new trash cabinet to do this -- thanks so much for the link! I'm glad we're not the only ones who think the major draw-back of having the trash in a cabinet is losing the ability to open it when our hands are full!!!

• Buehl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There has recently been some interest in this subject again. Yes, this thread is 12 years old, but the instructions are no longer available as Houzz did not bring over the GW Photo Gallery (at least I couldn't find the links/pictures). I am, therefore, updating this thread with the instructions and pictures.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From the "Pull Out Trash" thread started by ColdTropics on Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 2:43

Posted by metoo2 (My Page) on Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 19:27

• Front View when cabinet is shut:

• View of foot pedal when cabinet is open. Keep in mind this view will be hidden when trash cans are in the cabinet:

• Metal plate mounted on bottom back of door. This is the plate that is 3.5" tall--to deal with a face framed cabinet: <looking for this picture>
    • Finally, looking at the bottom of the cabinet. Glued a scrap of wood to the back of the face frame.

Posted by metoo2 (My Page) on Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 20:01

• muscat: The rails are always attached to the door-regardless of whether your trash cans hang from a rail, or your trash cans sit on a base. In your picture, the cans sit on a base.
    • I believe that my modifications will also work with your situation (cans sitting on a base). However, you will need to make one minor modification that I did not do. That modification has to do with the elastic cords that come with the pedal.
    • Elastic cords (ie, bungee cords) pull the door open when the pedal is kicked. You would have to alter where the front of the cords are mounted inside the cabinet. Very easy to do.
    • Earlier posts on this thread refer to a version of the Hafele pedal for trash cans which sit on a base. I have not seen this product. I suspect they use the identical pedal, but altered the instructions relative to the location where to mount the elastic cords.

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 11:02

• I'm not sure what the door mount kit is, but you have to have a pull out trash in order for the foot pedal to work.
    • In other words, your trash bins should be hanging from a rail attached to the door OR sitting on a shelf attached to the door. The door should pull open like a drawer (not swing open like a normal cab) and as it pulls open the trash bins come out with it.

Note that Hafele makes two different pedals, one for the bins hanging from rails and one for the bins sitting on the shelf. I'm not clear on which one you've linked to above. Also note that these foot pedals are designed for frameless cabs. I don't know if they can or have been used on framed cabs and would be interested to hear about that if anyone has.

Here are the links I have to the two kinds of Hafele pedals:

Pedal for trash can which hangs from rails

Pedal for trash can which sits on base [I don't think this is available anymore - 2020]

Note: In both cases, the foot pedals are on the bottom of the pages