Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruddycat_gw

Now what? Granite was sealed without our approval

ruddycat
10 years ago

Hi!

I posted the other day about our Leathered Titanium slabs and our fabricators method of enhancing and then buffing. He did make us a sample and we were very happy with it. He told us that sealer would be applied on-site after installation and he sent us home with the sample.

In the meantime and after much research, we decided that we wouldn't have the granite sealed. I tested it with oil, vinegar and lemon juice and nothing left a stain. Water beaded up immediately on it so we determined it was a dense granite that didn't require sealing. And we'd heard and read (here on GW) of many problems with slabs that had been sealed that didn't need to be so we decided we would opt out.

Anyway, they just showed up with our granite (at 5:15pm) when they weren't scheduled until first thing in the morning. And they say that the slab was sealed at the shop, contrary to what we were told would be done. It's kind of splotchy looking and sort of sticky but when I rub it with a microfiber cloth it becomes smooth and feels good like the sample that had only been enhanced.

So . . . should I be concerned? Should I ask to have the sealer removed or just wait and see what happens? And if I'm not mistaken, if and/or when a sealer starts to cause problems (rings, stains, etc.), the solution is to remove the sealer at that time, correct?

Other than that - I LOVE the granite!! Am I worried about nothing?

Leigh Ann

Comments (5)