Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does solid surface counter need full sub-top?

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 18:14

Ack... forgot to ask the counter guy today and now he's gone for the weekend. I thought I read somewhere that solid surface counters need a full cabinet sub top? Does anyone know if this is true? How does it span the DW then? I shouldn't be figuring this out at the last minute, but here I am.....

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does solid surface counter need full sub-top?

I think it's same as granite - 2cm requires plywood subtop and 3cm does not.

o

Not only does solid surface not need a full sub top, installing same will void the manufacturer's warranty.

Corian and other solid surface manufacturers recommend cabinet perimeter strip underlayment or setting the solid surface directly on cabinets secured with dime sized dabs of silicone every 18". Similar and equal to stone and estone, trivet use against heat is recommended. Full underlayment traps heat which is why it is prohibited.

No, you can't drill holes in the sub top.

o

Okay, thanks very much for answering my question. Really appreciate it.

o

Risk of underlayment causing or exacerbating heat damage is infinitesimal.

o

Sorry, I have no idea...I just looked to see if you had any new pictures :)

o

gauchoGordo 1993:

I am not in the habit of talking out of my hat or not being able to substantiate the things I say. I am a Certified Corian Fabricator and Installer.

Section 9.1 of the DuPont Fabrication and Installation Manual:

“Do not use full underlayment. Studies done by DuPont have proven that for horizontal applications, ½” (13mm) Corian sheet material is better used with frame support for, e.g., heat dispersion as per Graph 9.1.A.

Be sure to make allowances for expansion of support material from heat or humidity.”

Here is a link that might be useful: DuPont

o

I didn't mean to suggest that you mistated Dupont's recommendation Trebuchet. I'm saying that Dupont's recommendation doesn't make sense. The cynic in me thinks that Dupont may have intentially planted this bogus recommendation as an excuse to invalidate warrantees for unrelated issues.

Anyhow, Ceasarstone and Silestone make no such stipulation, so I guess if nothing else this is a good reason to go with them instead of Corian.

o

GauchoGordo 1993:

I have first-hand experience with DuPont's warranty department. They flew a tech out to one of the first Zodiaq jobs in my area, one of mine, and flew her back out to demonstrate the process of etch filling they developed for the job and then wrote a technical bulletin which remains in effect the last time I checked. The etch was from customer abuse and they ate it anyway.

In the mid-eighties, DuPont "decertified" all their fabricators and only allowed "recertification" to those who went to their school and met other conditions. They lost half their fabricators, but warranty claims dropped by 80%.

When was the last time you crashed your car and the dealer fixed it for free just to save his brand?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here