Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

IKEA durability?

Okay, so I hopped into the car yesterday and drove down to Cincinnati to visit the IKEA store. I wanted to see their countertops and cabinets; and I must say the visit was a fun time! I was impressed by the sample kitchens and all the fancy innards that are possible. Really got me to thinking that I should just buy IKEA and save the $$.

But, one thing dampened my enthusiasm: not in the kitchen displays, but many of the furniture displays seemed rather the worse for wear on corners and edges. I assume from being brushed and bumped against by wandering shoppers -- worn and sometimes slightly loose finishes. also some of the doors didn't seem to be put on very well, or fit together quite right.

Have any of you who have installed IKEA kitchen cabs experienced this? I know that they have a long warranty but that doesn't mean there won't be problems.

Comments (26)

• dretutz
    11 years ago

My Ikea cabinets and drawers were installed in 2010. Adel Birch. They look good as the day they were installed and my family is rough on things--especially my DSIL and two dogs.

I think the furniture is mostly junk, but the kitchen cabs and drawers are amazing. There is reason they have 25 year warranty whereas the bookcases, desks, etc. have no warranty.
    Love my IKEA drawers.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, dretutz. I've never seen anyone post anything bad on this site, but seeing those chests and TV stands looking so rough made me wonder!

• rmtdoug
    11 years ago

What little I know about woodworking and furniture building in general would prevent me from buying large items of furniture from Ikea but I would not hesitate to put their cabinets in my kitchen if that's all I wanted to pay or could afford.

• cwalen
    11 years ago

I had an Ikea kitchen in my last house. I LOVED my cabinets and even though my GC cursed me up and down for selecting Ikea (and committing to their assembly), that kitchen was fantastic and the mechanics of the drawers (I opted to mostly all drawer base cabinets) were phenominal.

Kitchen installed in 2005 and still going strong (per new owners) in 2012.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to you both. I need to make a decision either today or tomorrow on the cabinets and get them ordered (I've been dithering too long and my contractor wants to at least get the project scheduled!)

The one thing really giving my pause to going with IKEA is the limited size options. I would have to use significantly more filler, but maybe I could build in a spice pullout in at least one.

• crl_
    11 years ago

People here or at the ikea fans forum may be able to give you some ideas on hacks for your filler pieces.

• emcsq
    11 years ago

We are in the midst of renovating our kitchen with Ikea cabinets, so I have no comments on long-term durability yet. But they usually run a semi-annual kitchen sale where you can save 10-15% (and I think it was 20% in the past). In the past, they have began at the beginning of March, so less than a month away now. You might want to check with the store to see if they have a date before placing a big order today or tomorrow!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>The one thing really giving my pause to going with IKEA is the limited size options. I would have to use significantly more filler, but maybe I could build in a spice pullout in at least one.

Well, you know, Ikea is like lego. Often you can combine parts from different pieces to make up a size you want. As crl_ suggested, if you post your plan here or at ikeafans, it's possible you don't need as much filler as you think.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm working on a plan now, based on what had been designed previously. I will post it here as soon as I can.
    Biggest stumbling block is the base corner cabinet. They are too big! Using the blind corner doesn't let me put in the size drawers that I really want, and the 36" corner only leaves me 6" on the other side of the stove

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm working on a plan now, based on what had been designed previously. I will post it here as soon as I can.
    Biggest stumbling block is the base corner cabinet. They are too big! Using the blind corner doesn't let me put in the size drawers that I really want, and the 36" corner only leaves me 6" on the other side of the stove

• xyankee11
    11 years ago

I ordered my ikea kitchen 2 weeks ago. I'm scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I'm 4 hours away from the nearest ikea. Delivery was supposed to be last week but was pushed back to Thursday. If you decide on Ikea, make sure to get a family member card. It's free. It's like a loyalty card but it gives you 90 day returns & 90 day price protection. So you can order your kitchen now before all the madness when the sale starts, go back anytime during the sale (I think it goes for 6 weeks), go to customer service & you'll get your refund. I did that as everything I need was in stock during my trip there. Make sure they scan your family card first before ringing up your order. Your card number has to be on that receipt. I hope that helps!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, here is the best that I've come up with so far. Very similar to a plan that I posted previously. I didn't see any solution to the inadequate space (6') on the right of the stove without sacrificing the 36" drawer space down to 24 and changing to a blind corner.
    then I could either move the stove over to the left as I've done here (would 1' be enough between stove and edge of blind corner cab?), and put an 18' cab on the right of it;
    or put 9' filler pullout on either side of the stove.

PS for some reason the program wouldn't let me add the last 2 wall cabs on the stove wall. There would be an over-hood cab and a 24" wall cab to its left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea plan

Original Author
    11 years ago

Great tip, xyankee11, thanks!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure that if any other cabinets (or furniture) were put to the amount of abuse and wear that Ikea showroom items are subjected to, they would not fare so well. I don't know about your local Ikea but ours here is a ZOO - packed all the time, including lots of kids climbing on everything and people abusing the stuff all day long day in day out.

• tbb123
    11 years ago

Here's a version with the corner carousel, which I would outfit like this - IKEA's has weight and weight distriution issues. http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=258343 You have to fabricate your own shelf.

This gives you 6" for your pullouts between the stove and the wall.

I used the IKEA single bowl apron front sink. You'll get as much sink volume in this sink in a 24" cabinet as you would get in a stainless steel single bowl that would fit in a 30" cabinet. And now you have space for 30" drawers to the left of the sink.

For the upper cabinets between the windows I used a 36" + an 18". - Now all your doors are the same, which is easier on the eye.

You don't really have enough space for the 24" pantry - your doorway needs 36" there, which it will have with the 15" pantry. You also need the big panel, cut to size, to box in the fridge and support the deep over-fridge cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA 3D Planner - link good for 5 days

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, thank you tbb 123! so much! Especially for adding the little things that I haven't looked at yet.

Re the door swing: I measured again, and I have 70" from the wall to the edge of the open door. I did forget about the tall panel, but how much other clearance do I need around the fridge and cabinet? I did think that I was squeaking it all into 68" but with the panel...can't do it I guess

Plus, if a little breathing room is left, the room won't feel quite so much smaller to me, I think!

With the 24" undersink cab, would there be room for a trash pullout? I would rather have it there, but in the back of my mind I have also thought it could go in the small cab next to the fridge.

Raee

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, thank you tbb 123! so much! Especially for adding the little things that I haven't looked at yet.

Re the door swing: I measured again, and I have 70" from the wall to the edge of the open door. I did forget about the tall panel, but how much other clearance do I need around the fridge and cabinet? I did think that I was squeaking it all into 68" but with the panel...can't do it I guess

Plus, if a little breathing room is left, the room won't feel quite so much smaller to me, I think!

With the 24" undersink cab, would there be room for a trash pullout? I would rather have it there, but in the back of my mind I have also thought it could go in the small cab next to the fridge.

Raee

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Hi, raee:

{{!gwi}}

or if you prefer two:

{{!gwi}}

EDIT If you scroll down in the linked thread you can see a photo of the 24" with trash. It's a really large photo so I didn't want to embed it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: double pullout thread

This post was edited by writersblock on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 0:58

• tbb123
    11 years ago

A happy medium between the 15" pantry with the recommended 36" of passage, and the more commodious 24" pantry would be an 18" pantry. Like writersblock said, IKEA is like Legos. You can create a box for the 18" pantry with the sides for the narrower pantry and the top and bottom from two 18" base cabinet floors. Then you just buy whatever innards, doors and drawer fronts your heart desires that fit the 18" width. The inside dimensions of the 15" pullout is 10", while the inside dimension of the 18" pullout is 13", so the % increase between the two is substantial.

Lots more IKEA-specific information available on IKEAFans.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Oh, I probably should have mentioned in my previous post that if you want to do the single domsjo farmhouse sink and a disposal I doubt you could fit trash into the space that's left.

• lee676
    11 years ago

I'm playing around with the Ikea kitchen planner web app shown above - there seems to be no way to add a cooktop or oven, even though it's shown in the sample 3D layouts that Ikea shows. Adding "your own appliances" doesn't include those options either. ?????

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Kitchen Planner

• tbb123
    11 years ago

I'm not getting anything but the start page to the planner. You need to e-mail yourself your plan, open the link provided, and then copy and paste that URL. But the planner's been a bit finicky lately (so has GW.)

To get the cook top and/or oven, you have to choose from the base cabinets menu that specify that. Once you're there, specific cooktops and ovens are choices from Options.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA 3D Planner with cook top and oven - link good for 5 days

This post was edited by tbb123 on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 22:38

• slush1422
    11 years ago

We've had ours with Adel cabinets in for almost 2 years now and LOVE them. Showing no sign of wear and we have 2 young kids a teen and a dog. We did a lot of custom things with the cabinets including building an island, crown molding, blind corner cabinet, installing an undercab microwave drawer and adding a spice pullout.

From STILL not finished kitchen

Decorated for Halloween:

From Beveled Arabesque Backsplash install

Before backsplash & crown:

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, and your kitchen looks great!. Your floor color is similar to the prefinished oak that I just bought.

I've been shopping on-line for pull-outs, where did you get yours? Doesn't seem to be much variability in price even across brands, though.

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Raee: Here is the cup hardware info. We ordered it from myknobs.com

Top Knobs - Asbury TOP-M1301
    Collection - 2 9/16" Cup
    Pull In Polished Nickel

The cabinet latches and glass knobs were from Crown City Hardare in Pasadena, CA. But they have an online store as well http://www.restoration.com/. It was the ONLY place I could find latches big enough to use on the Ikea doors since they are rounded and not flush.

Here are a few more photos from my kitchen. I hate how they are being stretched by the new format on here but I think if you click on them they are okay. My double trash pullout is towards the bottom of the thread too as well as a link to how we did the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: More of Slush's kitchen