Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p_ball2

Don't buy pottery barn hardware!!!!

p.ball2
11 years ago

I am quite frustrated right now. I ended up purchasing pottery barn icebox latches for several of the cabinets in my kitchen. I found the latches on-line in November and ordered a sample one to see how the quality was. The quality of the latch was decent so I ordered the number I needed. About a month ago I decided that to be safe I should order extras for if one ever breaks or god forbid is discontinued. I went on-line and ordered three more. My order said "available for immediate shipping". When they did not arrive about two weeks later I went on-line to check order status and it said "back ordered". This should have been my warning!. Today I went to check and found that the status was changed to "cancelled". I called pottery barn and the service person said that item has been discontinued. I said what? When i ordered they were available. Why did I not receive ANY communication from PB about this? She of course apologized. I said well how am I supposed to replace this latch if it ever breaks? She said I am sorry but when pottery barn discontinues an item such as hardware they destroy the mold so it can no longer be made. I said your company sucks and has left me without any way to remedy the problem should I ever need replacement. You should have noted that this item was being discontinued on the website.

I told her I would not be ordering hardware from PB ever again and that I planned to let lots of people aware of this policy. BTW they only carried this item for less than a year. She said she would note my complaint in their computer. As if they truly care....

Partly venting but also trying to prevent another person from making my foolish mistake. Should have gone with the cliff side industry latch!!

Comments (22)

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Frustrating! I've had issues with pb too! Just look on their FB page - it is full of complaints.

• kgolby
    11 years ago

Good to know. Was just looking at PB.com & their hardware today.

What's the normal shelf life of hardware being available before being discontinued? I'm also looking at RH.com & considering the Asbury collection. Curious to know if this collection has been around awhile or if it will be phased out as often as PB does w/ their collections.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Restoration hardware seems to have their stuff for longer but if you meant rejuvenation I think they are now owned by PB so beware. Good luck with the hardware search and my advice would be to buy extra right from the start!

I posted a complaint on PB Facebook page and a PB person now wants me to contact them to discuss the situation. We shall see what happens......

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I had that happen with a desk about eight years ago. They sent me a $100 gift card for my trouble. I would have preferred the desk, but it was a nice gesture. The phone rep didn't tell me they were sending it.

Did you try Rejuvenations? The hardware might have been from there prior to the PB acquisition.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I admit, I love the PB catalog, but I wonder how much is just surface style. I got a medicine chest for DD's bath several years ago, and the quality was only so so. I think you're probably safer with their little decorative things or maybe linens. And it's not exactly a bargain.

It's thoughtful of you to post the warning and maybe save someone else some grief.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I have orb bin pulls and knobs on my current kitchen cabinets from PB. The finish began to wear off within a year or two of installation. They gave me a heckuva time about replacing them, and the same thing happened with the second batch. I'd never buy hardware from them again...

I sure hope yours hold up a long, long time.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

You might try ebay.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tried eBay. They have one satin nickel icebox latch for sale but I need polished nickel. Thanks though! Wish that pottery barn tried to be as helpful as you all are now.

Steph2000: what are you going to do when the finish goes bad? Are yours a standard size? I have been surfing around and all the ice box latches I find are smaller than the pottery barn one which stinks!! How am I going cover the holes!

I sure do hope these hold up for a VERY long time!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Well, I'm going to gut my kitchen and remodel. Not that I am over-reacting about these ugly knobs and pulls! Lol

My finish is bad and has been bad - and it's not even consistent. Some look brand new, another third look worn and another third are so bad they almost look like brass as the finish has literally completely worn off. I've lived with these ugly things while they get progressively worse because I am too cheap to buy new when we are preparing to remodel. I try to call it patina...

Obviously, p.ball, this is not going to work for you. I think it's a good idea to keep searching and snag them up when you find them through 3rd party vendors. It's a weird phenomenon, but apparently some people buy clearance PB items in bulk and then jack up the price for people who just have to have it...

It just stinks that the PB ones are larger instead of smaller. Hopefully your polished nickel holds up a ton better than this orb has!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Well, I'm going to gut my kitchen and remodel. Not that I am over-reacting about these ugly knobs and pulls! Lol

My finish is bad and has been bad - and it's not even consistent. Some look brand new, another third look worn and another third are so bad they almost look like brass as the finish has literally completely worn off. I've lived with these ugly things while they get progressively worse because I am too cheap to buy new when we are preparing to remodel. I try to call it patina...

Obviously, p.ball, this is not going to work for you. I think it's a good idea to keep searching and snag them up when you find them through 3rd party vendors. It's a weird phenomenon, but apparently some people buy clearance PB items in bulk and then jack up the price for people who just have to have it...

It just stinks that the PB ones are larger instead of smaller. Hopefully your polished nickel holds up a ton better than this orb has!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Call the PB Outlet in Lancaster, (717) 290-2809, and ask if they have them. They always say you can call them and they will check for you. I can run there for you to pick them up if they have them. I'll probably be down there in the next few days anyway.

I'm serious. I'll go. Not a problem. Just send me an email if you have any luck. Ok?

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bee. As usual you are so kind. I will call them.
    I am in the home stretch with kitchen but keep running up against these little problems, this one is potentially bigger down the road.

Picked up my special order mini microwave from Lowes yesterday. Got home unpacked it and plugged it in... It won't turn OFF? Who ever had that happen?

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No luck at PB outlet but they took my name and number in case some come to the outlet in the future.

Has anyone ever sprayed their hardware with spray paint finish? I say this because PB still has the bronze icebox latches in stock. Don't think they make a polished nickel spray paint but they do make chrome.

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

We did spray paint some hardware for a quick fix in our mudroom prior to renovating. I used a primer spray and then a top coat. They turned out okay but chipped within a year. Not a good long term solution.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I've sprayed hardware too, but it didn't take long to chip. Thank you for the tip about buying a couple of extra pieces of hardware.

• michellemarie
    11 years ago

My experience with Pottery Barn hardware is that it is just junk. I have the vintage glass knobs on my built in kitchen hutch, and some of them have completely broken off from the base and there is now way to fix them. And this is a cabinet that gets minimal use. I was able to get the look I wanted for a lower price and I did order more so I am ok with the problem, but I would never buy furniture or a big ticket item from them.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I have to say I love preparing for failure. That's what the foreman called my request to have 2 leads to the thermostat installed in our heated bathroom floor. The ding-dong tile guy "didn't know how to do that" so of course we didn't get that taken care of...

So anyway, here's my thought. Don't go crazy trying to find them. Make some calls, but then let it go. Let's hope that they will work out fine. IF the time comes and you do need replacements, you just order some really good ones that match the finish you already have. And you then might have to take the doors off, run them back to DW and get them to fill the holes and reattach the new ones.

It will work out. I know you know that. Luckily, for now, you have the number you need. But I do understand the preparing for failure mindset.

You can put a reminder on eBay and you will get emails when the item you are looking for is listed.

Hang in there! Can't wait to see more pictures!

• djlandkpl
    11 years ago

If you can get them in bronze and you have a chrome finish, you could get them chromed at an auto body shop/chrome refinisher.

• annac54
    11 years ago

djlandkpl: That was my thought too. Have the finish stripped and re-plated with chrome.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bee some very sage, calm advice. I have calmed down a bit and can see that I need to cross that bridge when I get there. Hopefully never!!

I had never thought about using an auto body shop to chrome plate the latches. A good idea, but do they do that? My latches are polished nickel and while the difference is slight they are different. I have chrome faucets in the kitchen and don't mind the difference so food for thought. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pottery Barn did contact me. I gave them my phone and email but they chose to do it via email. I would have preferred a personal phone conversation. They of course apologized without ever suggesting that they made any error or that their marketing needs any adjustment. They offered me $50. I have not responded yet but will likely ask them to still explain why I was told my order was available for "immediate shipping". A large company such as theirs must have ability to keep track of stock electronically. Also, I will probably take the money but may just donate the gift certificate to my school for the raffle baskets at the Spring Fair. I am presently boycotting purchases from them. Can't say I may not purchase some bedding or knick knack in the future but definitely NOT hardware or anything I may need to replace with an exact or similar copy.

• di4designs
    7 years ago

I am a furniture repurposed. I had a client who wanted a pottery barn bedroom set done in white. I am so use to doing vintage pieces. I was shocked at the poor quality of Pottery Barn furniture. I can't believe people are spending that kind of money on that furniture. Wake up people!!!

• jenniferacheson
    6 years ago

I join in the above criticism of PB cabinet hardware. We also bought a ton of the nickel pulls and latches, which have one by one broken (latches). Now, they no longer sell the latch ("door latch") so my husband either has to solder them or we have to replace all of them. To p.ball2, you were right to think about ordering more because they DO Break (the knob) with ordinary use. I too will contact Pottery Barn to complain. I normally like shopping with them but this turns me off completely!