Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Looking for Equivalent Light

Posted by nyc_sport (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 18:07

We sadly fell in love with this light at Urban Archeology, except for the part that three of them cost about the same price as a late model BMW. Anyone know where these come from or close alternates (note that I know well the RH alternates, and these are quite large (part of the reason we want them) -- 20" or so in diameter).


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Looking for Equivalent Light

That's a great looking light, but holy crap, the price! I thought you were exaggerating about how much it cost. How does a hanging light cost more than I'd dream of paying for a stove?

RE: Looking for Equivalent Light

Wow. Those are pricey!
I found these two at PW Antique Lighting. The first one is still expensive, but 1/3 the price of the one you posted. The second is less.
From GW Photos
From GW Photos

Let me know if this is the right track.

RE: Looking for Equivalent Light

Look at Visual Comfort lighting for some very similar ones, and at Rejuvenation (semi-customizable) and Schoolhouse Electric for some that are significantly less expensive and similar in overall spirit.

RE: Looking for Equivalent Light

Check out lights by Hi-Lite Manufacturing, completely generic name but some great lights, very good quality, made in California, and not too crazy on the prices -- especially compared to Urban Archaeology. This light is from their Milkman collection, shown here in a galvanized finish, but they do have a shiny one. Their version of polished chrome is painted aluminum. This light comes in 18" or 24" - as well as smaller sizes - for $171 and $448.20, respectively, on You might also check out their Harbor collection and their commercial offerings. Hi Lite has a website, but I don't think you can order directly from them -- but you can look around at their various offerings.
I bought a different style light made by them and was very, very happy.
You may know this, but this type of light is typically referred to as an industrial pendant and a similar look is nautical light. Both are very "in" right now, so I think Googling either term should get some good results. Have you tried ebay? I am often amazed at what I can find there. Other lighting websites --,, bellacor, wayair, even overstock. If you really want the cage over the lightbulb, add the word "vapor" to your search. Good luck!

RE: Looking for Equivalent Light

Here's one at Modern Furniture Warehouse - it's similar in spirit at least. It's 20" wide like you want, and it's $590.

Here is a link that might be useful: 20-inch wide Metal Pendant Lamp

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here