Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sw_in_austin

Finished IKEA kitchen: Tidaholm & soapstone

sw_in_austin
14 years ago

After some encouragement on the recent IKEA Kitchens thread, I finally decided to post our finished kitchen. I've kind of gone crazy with the pictures and descriptions; I hope it's not too much.

We are more than happy with our decision to use IKEA cabinets. They cost about $6,000 less than a comparable kitchen done with Kraft Maid in maple. Because we saved those dollars we felt comfortable spending more on the soapstone and the backsplash. And we are completely happy with how the cabinets look and function. Who knew I could love full-extension, soft-close drawers so much? If I had any doubts they were put to rest when our somewhat snooty neighbor came in and looked around and said, "Nice. Are they custom?"

The old kitchen was original to the house, which was built in 1945. The cabinets were painted metal, there was no dishwasher, too little storage, and counters were crowded with microwave, toaster oven, and dish drainer. We lived with it for 15 years (we intended to redo it much sooner but other projects -- two kids not the least of those -- intervened).

The kitchen functioned well, layout-wise, and we left the main elements in place. We removed a strange peninsula at one end of the long side and took the wall between kitchen and dining room (behind the stove in the picture below) down to half-height. We took out a door to the backyard that we never used and replaced it with a window. We took out a hot water heater closet (and put in an on-demand unit that hangs on an exterior wall), which gave us 4 additional linear feet of cabinets and counters.

Here is the old kitchen, taken as we were packing up. I did give up my O'Keefe & Merritt stove, which I loved as a sculptural object and for sentimental reasons, but the need for a stove with a smaller footprint and a bigger oven won the day.

Here is the new kitchen:

At the last minute we decided to make a space within our new pantry (white doors at right below) to house the microwave. It got the micro off the main counter and having it out of the way is just fine. The pantry was custom-built to fit in the space of what had been a shallow regular-height closet. Now it gives us floor to ceiling storage.

We pulled the base cabinets next to the refrigerator out 5 inches to keep our existing frig from sticking out; the counters here are about 30 inches deep. We also hung 30-inch-tall uppers here (others are 39-inch) with a floating shelf (of IKEA butcher block) below.

We had a cart built of butcher block and steel from the local welding shop that slides under the counter. The bookshelf above was built of the same materials. The black cabinet at right was built by our carpenter to fit a shallow spot to the right of the new window. One slab of soapstone took care of most of the counters, but using butcher block over this section worked out perfectly.

Sills for the new windows made of soapstone tiles. Much better than the old painted wood.

We had this big blank wall (cabinets here wouldn't have left room for the table where we eat almost all our meals) so we painted a piece of masonite with chalkboard paint and bolted it to the wall. The corkboard covers the circuit box, which would have cost $1500 to move.

We love steel so we had the pass-through top made of 1/2-inch sheet steel.

Details:

Cabinets: IKEA, Tidaholm door style (European white oak; solid oak frame with veneer center), except for custom-built pantry and one shallow cabinet beneath the bookcase, stained ebony; bookcase and cart also custom built of steel angle-iron uprights and IKEA butcher block shelves

Countertops: Beleza soapstone from Dorado Soapstone in Austin

Backsplash: Sonoma Tilemakers (from our favorite tile store, Architerra); subways are Star line, 3x6, color Trellis Green; glass tiles are Tantrum 1x2, color Tazo (chosen because it matched the green inclusions in the soapstone)

Grout: Light gray (maybe Oyster Gray?)

Hardware: Restoration Hardware Aubrey pulls in brushed nickel, 4-inch on doors, 6-inch on drawers

Pendants in front of windows: Meridian from Sundance Catalog

Pendant over kitchen table: IKEA (a placeholder to get the final inspection done; I was looking for a cone-shaped pendant to echo the Meridian pendants but with a solid or frosted shade; I couldn't find one in time and now we'll probably have this forever)

Undercabinet lights: Microfluorescent T4 light strips from Pegasus Associates Lighting (online)

Sink: Ticor S112 from Galaxy Tool Supply

Faucet: Kohler Essex with side spray in brushed nickel

Range: Kenmore Elite

Dishwasher: Kenmore Elite

Refrigerator: Kenmore (existing)

Floors: Existing long leaf pine (refinished)

Comments (37)

• plllog
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks great! I love all the customization.

• junicb
    14 years ago

Go IKEA! I love the pendant over the sink. The bookshelf is great, too - did your carpenter make it?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Just brilliant austin... the gorgeous floors, love the cabs you picked, the transtion with the BB, the narrow cab with shelves, LOVE the backsplash and tantrum tile. You are yet another to convince me that I'm on the right track to go with IKEA boxes. We're going to do something different with the drawer fronts; but I'm just loving all this customization.
    One question: did you paint the toe kicks black so they'd recede? Love the look. You should be so proud... looks fantastic!

• sw_in_austin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@junicb -- Indeed our carpenter built the bookshelf and the cart, based on an idea I showed him from a magazine. He was skeptical but it turned out great. The corners of the butcher block are routed out so the steel (which is just angle iron from a local welding shop that we wire-brushed clean and sealed with spray poly) would sit flush.

@remodelfla -- We did paint the toe kicks black. Our contractor said it would make them disappear, which it sort of does. I like that it also echoes the black elsewhere. The carpenters built 2x4 frames for the lower boxes to sit on, rather than using the IKEA leg system. I think it was to make certain that the soapstone was well-supported and to make sure the long run was level, given the inherent unevenness of our 65-year-old floors.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

question austin... by using 2x4 framing, will it lower the height of the cabs... a positive for 5' me. Initially we were going to build the boxes so I could have a lower height. But I remember reading on IKEAfans that there are fixes/modifications that will allow you to accomplish that.

• dawn_t
    14 years ago

What an amazing transformation - you 've done an absolutely beautiful job!
    I especially like the custom butcher block cart and the area beside the fridge! May I ask how you joined the wood counter, over the cart, to the soapstone?

Dawn

• smiling
    14 years ago

Fabulous! Thank you for posting this wonderful kitchen. Love the floating shelf next to the fridge, and your other unique features like the under-counter cart.

Those of you with these lovely IKEA kitchens keep nudging me in that direction a little more each time I see another beauty. Hope you enjoy it every day!

• brickmanhouse
    14 years ago

What a COOL kitchen!

I love the really unusual stuff you have-- the rollaway cart, the chalkboard, the bookshelf and the steel pass-through top. Very slick!

It's obvious you took a lot of time to really figure out what would work for your family, and it totally paid off.

Nice job!

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

what a great job! It feels like a very inviting, livable space with lots of great ideas. Love the pullout cart and the board.

That backsplash if fantastic and the pendant if really nice!

I know what you mean about the stove - gave up my 1955 hardwick which looked very similar...

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

Well, brickmanhouse wrote exactly what I was thinking, lol. You've done a beautiful job. I love the steel and butcherblock bookcase and cart you've incorporated. Just a fabulous job!
    Lisa

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

That looks fabulous! I love me some IKEA. The metal plate bar top is really nifty.

• katsmah
    14 years ago

Very nice kitchen!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Wow...what a wonderful transformation. Looks like it is so practical for your family and the mix of wood, metal, and stone is great. The blackboard and opposing bookcase is very kewl. I LUUUV your little cart.

• plumeriavine
    14 years ago

Fabulous! These IKEA threads amaze me. Such a beautiful final product, and so much more affordable than Brookhaven, Wood-Mode, and other pricier kitchen cabinet and home cabinet lines. We had thought Wood-Mode was the way to go, but your designs inspire me to explore IKEA for future projects.

• sw_in_austin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind words. Especially about the cart and bookcase since I spent a lot of time trying to explain my vision of those to our carpenter!!

I should have thanked all the GWers in my initial post. I would never have thought of using soapstone without GardenWeb and I think that's what makes the kitchen, at least in person. And so many of my other questions and freak-outs were answered or calmed by those who frequent this board. So thanks for that and for all the nice things you've said about our kitchen.

@remodelfla -- I don't think our cabinets ended up any shorter than they would have if we had used the IKEA legs. They are a standard height. But I don't see why you couldn't make the box frame any height you wanted. And my understanding is that the IKEA legs are adjustable; how much range is available I don't know.

@dawn_t -- The soapstone and the wood are just shoved as closely together as possible. The butcher block sits on a L bracket that runs from front to back screwed into the side of the cabinet; the wood is attached to the bracket from underneath. We thought about putting a bead of clear silicone on the seam but since that area is rarely used for prep we haven't had any trouble with junk building up in the seam (which is fairly minimal; they did a good job of getting a tight joint).

• morton5
    14 years ago

sw_in_austin,
    I am so glad to see photos of your kitchen-- it is unique, functional, and beautiful! You were completing your kitchen a month or two before we did ours, and I referred to some of your posts as we planned. I admired your soapstone and your sink reveal (remember that great debate?), but never got to see the whole kitchen, and it is wonderful! I love your choices, especially the soapstone, your tile, your shelf beneath the cabs, and your black toe kick. Funny, my contractor didn't want to use the Ikea legs, either. I felt like a traitor to Ikeafans when I told him it was okay to build level platforms out of lumber. Anyway, congratulations on your cool space!

• donka
    14 years ago

It's gorgeous! I love all the little customizations you did as well. The chalkboard is super cool, the cart, the bookcase...I'm a big fan of the Tidaholm cabinets and think they look great with your new beautiful soapstone as well.

Enjoy!!

• prill
    14 years ago

WOW - you did a wonderful job. I keep scrolling up to look at the pictures again to see all the great detail. Love it all. Congratulations!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Fabulous! Fabulous! What a fantastic job you did. As others have said, I love all the "personal, unique" touches you did to make this space different. I love the metal details. Wish you lived closer so I could use your metal shop. Congratulations and enjoy!!!!

• dawn_t
    14 years ago

Thanks for the counter information, sw_in_austin. I have something similiar planned where my numerar oak will meet up to a laminate run. I have those underneath connector bolt thingies - just unsure of exact spacing etc. That's todays project.

Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!!!
    Dawn

• andrea345
    14 years ago

Love that you worked with your space & made a few choice items which added function and beauty. verra verra nice!
    -a

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Great space. The mix of colors and materials is fabulous.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Kudos! You really did a great job!!!

• rod725020
    14 years ago

The kitchen looks great. I am looking into Conestoga RTA cabinets. Has anybody here had any experience with them? I know they are made in the USA and are considered high-end cabinets, but not sure where I can order them from.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

And you were worried that people wouldn't like it! It looks great.

Add me to the list of people who are in love with the cart.

• dmwbcc
    14 years ago

HA! Too many pictures and too much description? NEVER! I, personally, LOVE all that! AND I love your kitchen too. It's VERY livable, VERY customized to your likings and it sounds like it was budget friendly! :) I love the butcher block top and pull out cart- genius!

Congrats on a job well done and I hope you are enjoying your kitchen!

• Laurie Neumann
    14 years ago

Very nice design! I love that little cart under your window and the clever transition into the breakfast nook with the butcher block and bookshelves. Good job on the area next to the refrigerator with that little shelf under the upper cabinets with your canisters. Lovely soapstone, by the way.

• sw_in_austin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just wanted to says thanks again for all the kind words. It does mean a lot to hear positive feedback from people who *really* love their kitchens. And we do enjoy our new kitchen every day, just as much a year later as we did when it was finished.

@Morton5 -- It's so funny that you remember the great sink reveal debate. That was one of my most freaked out moments and the GWers came through just as I should have known they would. I think I got 5 or 6 pictures within 10 minutes of my post that showed my exact sink installed in soapstone with the reveal I wanted. I emailed them to my fabricator and never heard another word from him. And the sink installation was done as I had asked him to do (and that he said couldn't be done).

Anyway, your kitchen is one of absolute favorites, IKEA or not, so your enthusiasm for our project means a lot. Thanks.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Oh, SW, it looks just wonderful! I love that floating shelf under the 30" cab next to your fridge--that is really clever! And I add my admiration of your cart area as well. Great idea!

Everything looks so clean and fresh and well thought-out! Really, really nice! I am so glad you finally posted your photos! Now be sure to post in the FKB, if you haven't already!

• amberley
    14 years ago

How did I miss this! It looks fabulous! Every time I see an IKEA finished kitchen it makes me so excited to finally be getting mine started. Soapstone looks fabulous too! Congrats!

Amy

• starpooh
    14 years ago

I love your IKEA kitchen!
    Great idea using soapstone tiles for your windowsill... wish I had thought of that. :-(

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? Many members are looking for awesome IKEA kitchens. And adding your kitchen to the FKB makes it easy for members to find the details of your kitchen long after this post scrolls off the forum.
    If you agree then please let me know.. either in this thread or send me an email (starpooh@gmail.com) . I would also appreciate it if you would, at some time in the future, submit the FKB Category Checklist.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I love personalized spaces. Really, really like the cart, butcherblock, black cabinet, bookshelf unit, that is different but still goes with the kitchen. Much more interesting and sharp than if it had matched. Also love the steel pass-through, the pantry with microwave alcove, and the blackboard looks great. Good job!

• ladeda
    14 years ago

Do you mind telling me who installed your soapstone from Dorado? And are you happy with the work...ie. seams, finish, etc. I am looking for a good fabricator out of Austin.
    Thanks.

• sw_in_austin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ladeda --

Our fabricator was Alpha Granite. We were on the verge of having them install Caesarstone but when I went to pick up C'stone samples from their office I saw some pieces of soapstone from Dorado sitting out on the counter. My husband and I had been to Dorado earlier and loved the soapstone we saw but couldn't find a fabricator from the list Dorado gave us (I called a bunch of them and they all tried to talk me into granite!). In any case, Alpha gave us a great deal on the fabrication because they had just decided to start using Dorado as a supplier and needed to get some soapstone installs under their belt.

Sorry -- probably more information than you need. The bottom line is that they did a good job. We only have one seam and it's fine. I've always wondered what it would look like if a more experienced soapstone installer had done it but it's not bad. Just a bit more noticable than I had hoped for. I can take a picture of it if you'd like to see it. And, as far as finish, I don't think they did anything to the stone once they got it from Dorado. At least it didn't seem any different to me. Our install was done nearly 2 years ago so they probably have more experience with soapstone now and maybe can give you names of other customers you could check with. Or maybe Dorado has a better list of fabricators now.

In any case, we love our stone. It's probably my favorite part of the new kitchen (or maybe the dishwasher . . . ).

Good luck.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Really unique touches! The soapstone looks great (especially the sill). I am impressed by how well the subway tile goes with the natural cabs. Great touches, enjoy the new kitchen! And never be afraid to post your kitchen glory!!!! It is a resource for future remodelers.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Lots of cool details in your kitchen, SW. Admire your thinking outside the box. Esp. w/ the Masonite chalkboard & layered bulletin board to cover the breaker box. Love the touches of steel. Really like the large format subways w/ the wide band of inset tiles.

Just a kool kitchen that has a personality all its' own. Nice job!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

The Soapstone counters make the kitchen since I love soapstone counters that I knew nothing about before I joined the kitchen forum.I also love your new sink. Your new finished kitchen is very warm and really looks great. Thanks for sharing.