Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

for lovers of 'vintage kitchens'

I just came across this website with images of kitchens and appliances from the early 1900's and just had to share with y'all.

Check out the links on the page to stoves and refrigerators also. I've been lusting after a reproduction of the 1917 Glenwood Gold Medal stove shown in the 6th image down on the stove page - but the price tag ($8,700!) is more than my entire appliances budget! Wonder if 100 years from now someone will be making reproductions of early 21st century appliances and selling them for 4 or 5 times the cost of the latest 22nd century model? LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Model kitchens from the early twentieth century

Comments (21)

• histokitch
    14 years ago

Fascinating! Thanks for the link.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I'd sure like to have one of those smaller sinks for my laundry room.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I did not know that those old sinks were adjusted to different heights to be "more efficient" ; i.e., to avoid back pains. Sure makes more sense than the one-height-fits-all standard today.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Thank you! Those pictures brought back memories of many happy hours spent in my grandmother's kitchen.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

What a fantastic site! Thanks so much for sharing this.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Love it! I bookmarked it so I can spend more time on it later. Thanks so much for posting it. I especially love the 1924 hutch and those sinks!

I'm going to ask a stupid question. Why are the women wearing little white caps that look like old-fashioned nursing caps. Are they supposed to be servants?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Great site! Thanks!

Did y'all notice some of them look like Buehl's?

• User
    14 years ago

I'm going to ask a stupid question. Why are the women wearing little white caps that look like old-fashioned nursing caps. Are they supposed to be servants?

They WERE servants! Maids and cooks and even housekeepers cold be hired by the middle class in those days!

• John Liu
    14 years ago

Interesting, how the kitchen was changing from unfitted pieces to built in cabinets in the 1910-1920 period. Great site.

• theresse
    14 years ago

HOLY MOLY - I just spent an hour of my precious time on that site! I couldn't stop myself! I just love stuff like that. Thanks for the link!

(I hope the rest of you noticed that you could click on each of those links and it will take you to a huge stream of more ads!)

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I LOVE IT!!! Hoosier ruled...and the women all looked so sterile. LOL

• Vivian Kaufman
    14 years ago

My next kitchen is SOOOOO going to have a lot of those qualities--movable cabinets, rolling tables, vintage wall mount sink... Totally unfitted and customizable. The ONLY built in I intend to have will be for the dishwasher. LOL

Thanks for the link. It was really, really fascinating.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Did you all see the Dutch Kitchenet on the furniture page? Reminds me of some modern cabinetry that was posted in the last 6 months. That one also had a swinging full height hinged door to hold items, but the unit, like this vintage one, held all the dishes, glasses, etc of a modest sized kitchen. No additional cabinetry needed.

I clicked on one of the sink pics that took me to the Housewifery book. Interesting reading. Running a household was considered to be on par with running a business. You had budgets, you hired help, you were knowledgeable about how the plumbing and heating systems worked. Want to feel old? The hot water heaters then were tankless! And the kitchens were organized into work units-i.e zones.

• joann23456
    14 years ago

So interesting! One thing I noticed is that many of the glass-front cabinets had utilitarian storage, like rows food cans or boxes. That's something I remember from my grandmother's house, though you never see it today. (Which is why I have no glass-front cabinets, as I don't have space for pretty storage!)

• littlesmokie
    14 years ago

A million thanks for this goldmine of info!

I'm designing a somewhat unfitted, somewhat fitted period kitchen in a 1913 home and feel more confident in some of the things I want to do after seeing ads from the time showing this it is in fact period appropriate to mix and match.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

glad you all enjoyed and soooo sorry for the "wasted tme"

• oldhousegal
    14 years ago

Thanks bevangel, what a great site to enjoy with my Sunday morning coffee! A couple of those look pretty similar to the 1919 kitchen I'm taking out right now, which makes me feel a bit guilty.....

• blondelle
    14 years ago

I was struck by how similar the cabinetry is to the modern traditional kitchens of today. That didn't seem to change or date at all. I also loved the small tiled, patterned floors which are being done today, and now look new. I guess if you want a kitchen that won't easily go out of date, then go with this look. Anyone notice any subway tile?

• jakkom
    14 years ago

On the Appliance forum a few weeks ago I posted this link to one of the Antique Appliance websites. They had restored a really magnificent custom 1925 gas range for a Southern mansion, a true one-of-a-kind piece.

I lust after their unrestored 1949 Roper 6-burner gas range, having once been offered a working model for a measly $125. Arrggh! - I had no place to put it, being an impoverished apartment renter, and have regretted to this day I couldn't snap it up.

When discussion threads come up about "is stainless just a fad", I really wonder if we aren't getting visually tired of SS over time. There seems to be a slowly growing but enthusiastic group of people who are really responding to the beautiful classic chrome trim and colors of the old appliances. Sort of like, yes I want to eat at Gary Danko and Michael Mina, but on a cold rainy day I want some mac'n'cheese casserole!

Here is a link that might be useful: 1925 custom Reliable gas range restored

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Great. Just great. My new kitchen is a week from being completely done and now two threads on exactly what I had originally thought I was going to do but couldn't find enough information. I didn't plan to ever do another kitchen......

• Brooke Kehoe
    4 years ago

This is fantastic. We just bought a 1919 Craftsman Bungalow. We are about to redo the kitchen. I really want to honor the age of the house without looking like all these new kitchens. We have a really tricky lay out. It’s going to be a challenge!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio