Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Marine edge Stainless Steel and integrate sink for $$$?

huango
16 years ago

Hola,

1. If you have Stainless Steel countertop, why/why not did you go with marine edge?

Unless IÂm not looking close enough, I havenÂt seen anyone with marine edge for Steel countertop. What were your reason(s) for not choosing marine edge?

For me, one big reason of going is Steel is the marine edge. I seem to be a rather rush when cleaning, so I often spill/drip water off the edge of my (current Corian) counters and onto my cabinets.

2. I got a quote from a local Steel fabricator, and they only integrate a seamless sink if I purchase one of theirs (for $700) or buy a Franke sink (for ~$700+).

Another big reason of why I want Steel is a seamless sink and backsplash (so I can hose down everything). But the Ticor sink I want is over $400 cheaper.

Would you pay the extra money for the seamless sink? (I think it would look just wrong to have an undermount Steel sink for a Steel counter.)

FYI: My counter will be ~8ft on the left and ~7ft on the right side of the 34-inch steel sink.

thank you very much.

Comments (3)

• Fori
    16 years ago

The undermount sink MIGHT (should be) welded in so it is seamlessly integrated. If they don't do that (or wont do it with a Ticor) find someone else.

I got a marine edge. We're slobs. The need for a marine edge left us with tile, laminate, or metal as options. Our fabricators stamped a sink. When templating, the guy said "how deep ya want it? How far back?" and I ended up with a random size custom sink. (Do NOT get carried away at this point!:) )

We moved about 4 years later and I don't have any good pictures online. We'll try to do it again when we get started on this kitchen.

If you're anywhere near Motown, I'll try to remember the names of these guys. They were pretty reasonably priced.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Our stainless counter portion of the kitchen is comprised of two pieces. One simple 12x28 deep piece on the left of the stove (with a six inch backsplash in stainless as well) and then the larger piece which is roughly 8' to the corner and four foot to the edge (a little L shape). Again with the six inch backsplash. We will have an integrated sink mimicing the very expensive franke sink I purchased that won't fit the corner application. (We're using that in another house). They would have used the franke sink and made it seemless to the countertop, but given that we now need custom, they'll do a similar sink with some chopped corners in front for me at an additional cost of about $400 (16 gauge SS with a pattern....basically swirls of scratches all over it). It will also have an integrated drain board to the sink (sloped). Total cost is around $2500 with sink. And yes, we're doing a marine edge. That's half the joy of SS to me (since my DH is a slob cook...fabulous...but slob). We see this portion of the kitchen as the work horse and we want it to be easy to clean. I am doing a bit of a modified marine edge (a little less of an edge than you really need on a boat, but basically marine).

Would I pay the extra money for the sink...oh ya. That whole countertop should be seamless in my opinion. Mostly for looks...but also for ease in cleaning. A good fabricator shouldn't have any problems with that.

We also used the same fabricator to build our hood housing so I expect a great job (the hood is gorgeous if you can call a 58" hunk of steel gorgeous LOL). Anyhoo, do the marine edge...but if the high edge is a turn off, they can do a bit of a lower one easily.

• huango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you so much for your input.

fori: would have loved to see pictures.
    As for stamping out the sink, what exactly do mean Do not get carried away. When I get the custom sink, I'm thinking of getting a large SINGLE bowl sink, as large as the 36" base can handle. Heck, I'll throw both kids in there after they've been playing in the mud.
    Sadly I'm in suburb Mass, nowhere near Motown.

igloochic: you know I'm stalking you; can't wait to see your kitchen finished.
    Ditto on the DH = slob cook BUT FABULOUS, and wanting a workhorse area.
    I know my answer is yes, pay the extra $ for the integrated sink, but it's like that forum: scrimp here, splurge there: I keep doing the budget creep.

boy oh boy, I'm drooling just think about that hunk, I mean Hood.