Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsam00

Pictures of my almost finished off white kitchens - 2 questions f

catsam00
16 years ago

Hello All - I am fairly new to this forum and haven't posted many pictures. Here's a picture of my almost finished kitchen. I'll post more when it's complete. Two questions:

1) I wanted the valance flush to the cabinet to give it a framed look but the cabinet makers recessed it a bit. They said they would change it but it's starting to grow on me. What do you think?

2) I expected the end of the run (to the left) to have a decorative kick to give it a furniture look (we have one on the cooktop and in front of the sink (see below). Do you think I should have them add it to the end run? Is it possible? You guys are the experts.

Comments (17)

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Looks like the end of the run does not have a recessed toekick, in which case a decorative piece like that is going to sit at about the same depth as the panel it looks like you have ont he side. It won't have the same loook as it does being set into the toekick.

I'm not sure what valance piece you are referring to or if I'm seeing what you mean int he first question, but I like the look of what you've got.

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I can't see how the valanced is recessed so I don't have anything to say there.

If the toekick isn't recessed as lascatx pointed out, then I'd leave it as is. If it is recessed, then I'd want to have the decorative piece as on the other cabinets.

PS: Your kitchen looks really beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished product!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Are we talking about the area around the hood? ( think that's the piece in the middle of the white run). I like that the way it is.

I'd agree that if the piece is recessed, change it (the toe kick). Everything is so well finished I think having it not be done is an issue right now. Me personally...I'd make it happen if it was in the original order. They can always order a new cabinet if they screwed that up. I'm not one to give much though when it comes to design. I think details like that are very important and I don't accept half arsed :o)

• msrose
    16 years ago

That's going to be one gorgeous kitchen when it's finished and your floor is just beautiful. Can you tell me what it is?

Laurie

• pugger
    16 years ago

You can overdo that real easy. Our previous home had dark paneling and a lot of that curved shape on the toekick. We lightened our paneling using a nice white oil base and had a lot of that trim modified/cut/removed - it was just too dominant. Personally, if you did that in the spot you indicated, it would violate the straight lines you can see both on the island and the cabinets in the background.

I like the way your kitchen is coming together!

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Absolutely lovely. I can hardly wait to see the finished kitchen. Wonderful cabinets, wonderful trim.

• hcf1
    16 years ago

Wow-you must be so excited to see how great your kitchen is coming along. Do you mind sharing with me your white cab paint color & is your island stained or painted? Pls tell me the color of that too. Looks amazing! H

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

No answers to your questions, I'm afraid, but just kudos on the job so far! Very nice cabs!

• bbtondo
    16 years ago

I think your kitchen is wonderful as it is! What is that beautiful paint color on your cabinets? Is it BM Linen White?

Barb

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I think you might mean the skirt-type piece at the bottom of the upper cabinets? It's pretty obvious from the previous posts that people here don't see a problem. I think it is just personal preference and can look perfectly nice either way. I think I would have expected it to be out, like you did, but it took me awhile to even figure out what you meant, so it's definitely not an eyesore and doesn't look at all odd. If you will go into your kitchen every day and it will jump out at you, or if you'll still be wondering if you should have had it changed a year from now, get it changed. It looks fine, though. Very lovely kitchen!

• msrose
    16 years ago

I hope you come back. I'd really like to know some of the details on your kitchen. What type of countertops are you going with?

Laurie

• catsam00
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone: I took a snapshot to highlight my concerns as I don't think I was clear enough in my initial post.

Here's a close up of the valance (in the specs it should have been flush with the doors to give it a framed look):

End of Cabinet Run: the toe kick is recessed and I wanted them to finish it off:

To answer some other question:

- Kitchen Cabinet/Wall colour - Benajamin Moore - White Down (CC-50)
    - Island is a stained maple (colour: Brown Mahogany)
    - Floor is red oak, 4 inches wide (stain name is Antique Brown from Dura Seal)
    - Countertops: we chose Calcatta Marble for the perimeter and Antique Nordic Black for the island - it looks honed (see picture below)

- All that's left to do is pick the knobs (I want to go with glass knobs for the uppers) and satin nickel handles for the drawers) Any thoughts/suggestions? I love looking at knobs/handles -- is that weird?

• msrose
    16 years ago

You know, I've never paid attention to the valance before, so I had to go look at some kitchen pictures. The few that I looked at either didn't show the valance at all or if it did, it was recessed like yours. I was wanting to find one that was like what you were expecting, but I didn't. I think I would have them add the decorative kick at the end. It can't be that much trouble for them and I think it will give it a finished look.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with valance like yours

• msrose
    16 years ago

If the recessed bothers you, you could have them add an extra piece at the bottom of the cabinet like in the picture I've linked.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen picture

• msrose
    16 years ago

Here's one more kitchen I thought you might enjoy seeing since it reminds me of yours.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: sharb's kitchen

• msrose
    16 years ago

catsam - Just wondering what you decided to do?

Laurie

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

I think you're referring to the light rail. I like it the way it is. I don't think it adds much to have a furniture kick on the corner

The little gap between the corbels for the hood and the side cabinets would freak me out - cleaning nightmare forever plus I wonder if the corbels completely clear your rangetop or whatever is going there. If the corbels are moved, then the light rail should run to the side of the corbels.