Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

For all intents and purposes, our kitchen is done.

zipdee
15 years ago

I'm not sure a kitchen is *ever* really done. :) Besides decorating more and tweaking here and there, ours is pretty much finished though .. I guess. This was a total DIY project done by my DH and I. We live in a 1910 cottage and were looking to keep flavor of the home, but also have a working kitchen for a family of five.

The stove is a restored 1948 Tappan Deluxe.

The Hoosier cabinet is being used as my free standing pantry area.

My double ovens are hiding behind that pocket door which is left open when they are in use and until the cool.

The sink is a English Belfast sink, which we found at an antique store that imports them.

The floors are the original heart pine, all the pine beadboard is new though.

My center light I found at a local antique mall, my DH rewired and hung it for me. It's out of a school that was built in the 1920's

{{gwi:1590067}}

{{gwi:1588068}}

Comments (40)

• teresacooks
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I adore your kitchen, I really like how it looks so vintage, but is so usable. Hope you're enjoying it.
    teresacooks

• krissd
    15 years ago

This is absolutely gorgeous. I am jealous! Is your 'backsplash' beadboard? Congrats - Kris

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

It's nice to see the whole thing. Congrats on a beautiful space.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Beautiful! Another poster was looking to do a balance of vintage and modern and I think you nailed the look. I love the color on your hoosier. What a treat for the eyes. Great job!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

That is insanely fabulous! I am in love love love with the jade green of your Hoosier. I had a pretty pink one growing up ... wonder where it is now. You've made me nostalgic but also green (no pun intended) over your delicious kitchen. Congratulations!!!

(That light is pretty terrific, too.)

Tell us about your countertop, please.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Terrific job!!!! I remember seeing the kitchen a couple of months back and thought it was great then!! Love the pop of green on the Hoosier cabinet. The counters look like stainless. If they are, do you like them? Congratulations and enjoy!!

• minette99
    15 years ago

That is drop-dead GORGEOUS! I love your range! Well, I love everything! What an absolutely LOVELY space you did! I would so love to cook, eat and hang out in a kitchen like yours! :)

• megradek
    15 years ago

what a great kitchen. you nailed it!!! It seems so airy and open. Congrats on a great space - please share details!

• Christine Clemens
    15 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen. That is the cutest range. How does it perform for you? Could I talk you into posting some additional photos of what I think is your dining space? You guys did an amazing job.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Love, love, love your kitchen. The perfect cottage kitchen. Can you tell me which field tiles you used behind your range?

• gglks
    15 years ago

so great. and i LOVE green. what is your countertop????????????????

• rosie
    15 years ago

DYI! Whoa! You've created a wonderful and delightful new-old kitchen. I just realized what a nice place over the fridge is for a nook. :) Happy cooking!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oh. my. goodness! I love every little detail! Do I see stainless steel countertops? I love how you painted the top of your light fixture to match your Hoosier! Love the beadboard, the floors, the stove, the cabinets, the niche over your fridge ... love it all!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

I love it! What hood is that?

Great job!

• quietlife3
    15 years ago

I've been following your progress on the decor board and LOVE what you have done! Congrats.

Also, another request for details on the counters. Thanks!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Bright, clean, and so roomy! It's very, very nice. What a clever and unique solution for the dbl oven and I love the built-in around the fridge. Definitely one of my favorites.

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

You have such great style, zipdee. (I would call you a classy broad but I think you are too young.) Your kitchen is so perfect. I can't imagine what could be different.

I also give you kudos because how much you have done with all those dogs (and kids) everywhere. You are amazing!

Congrats!

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

I love it!!!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

It is so good to see your finished kitchen! You have done a fabulous job keeping the feel of the time period. I still love the ovens behind the pocket door. Very creative idea.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very cute!!!

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I just love your kitchen and am so glad you decided to keep the hoosier green. We are still plugging along slowly with ours--sure wish I had your floors to work with!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

So cool! It's great!! I love the way the green on the refurbished schoolhouse lamp matches the hoosier, and the ovens behind the door. You really did maintain the cottage feel.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

beautiful. I love it all, especially the beadboard and the countertops. I would also love to know more about the counters.

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Oh that is sooo fab!! egganddart stole my comment - I love the sly match of the lamp and hoosier (which is way cool, btw).

Great job!!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Like everyone else, I love everything about your kitchen. WOW!

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

Wow! Very nice kitchen! I love that you kept the old feel of your home in there.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

Oh, it's perfect! I love it! The schoolhouse fixture is like the cherry on top!

Please share your green paint details when you have a moment!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is splendid and proof that upper cabinets are not necessary!! I like the touches like the little nook above the fridge. When you share more details, can you describe the backsplash above your range - is it subway tile?

LOVE it, love it, love it!!!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the encouraging and kind comments. I'm really happy to be at the point I can post here and call the kitchen done. For the most part I'm really please with how it turned out. We did have our share of foibles along the way to work out, but survived with all our hair still intact, so all's good. :)

The countertops were one of the oops mentioned. Right as we were getting ready to order our soapstone slabs ( DIY ), the supplier we had lined up, backed out on us. This was right before the holidays, at that point we could forge ahead sans soapstone, or have a down kitchen for the holidays and look for someone else local to pick out slabs from. So we did a bit of scrambling at the last minute and decided a temporary countertop was in order. I went to the local big box store and picked out a formica, that to me would mimic an old linoleum countertop you often see in kitchens of this vintage. We paired the formica with a metal edge that again is often seen with lino counters. For the wet area around the sink we used a water proof substrate underneath. Now that we have them in, I really like how they are kind of a fun and funky addition to the kitchen .. so I think we'll keep them for a while. The nice thing about them too is the investment was so low that we can replace them on a whim with soapstone when we decide to.

The backsplash in back of the tappan is just off the shelf subway tiles from Lowes, very inexpensive and they play nice with about everything. Our hood I bought off of E-bay, it's a 48" Bonanza and it's made by Independent. We're really please with the hood's looks and performance. The old schoolhouse light when I found it had a white base, I repainted it the same as the Hoosier in hopes it wouldn't disappear into the white beadboard ceiling. The dark jadeite green on the Hoosier is original though, it makes a great free standing pantry and was really built to last. I cook on the Tappan everyday and it does a great job, I'm very pleased with it. The oven in the Tappan is smaller than today's oven though. It comfortably fits a 9" X 13" pan with enough air circulation. For baking, holidays and cooking for larger crowds the double ovens are a great addition to have. The side panels pop open for storage, the bottom drawer is the broiler compartment. The pocket door we used to 'hide' the ovens we bought at Habitat for Humanity, cut out the top panel and placed the glass in. Our dining area is on the other side of the sink, the area isn't completed yet. I'm still looking for the right table, I'd like the booths to back the sink wall, with chairs on the other side of a long trestle table or two smaller matching tables. I'll post some pics of the room so you guys can see how it was part of the kitchen revamp, but please just ignore the furniture placement at the moment. :)

Worldmom, I'll post all the formulas for the green paints for you. I need to find the cans, they are all custom mixes. I'll try to get them up for you by this evening.

These pics are as we were still working on the kitchen, hardware on the doors not put in, area not painted fully, etc. The booths were another bargain find, like Kelly said we entertain lots of munchkins daily, so they work great. They will eventually both be placed along the low sink wall and have the leg area in closed in. I'm still on the search for the perfect table/tables and chairs that will give maximum seating and fit the space and allowing the french doors we installed to the deck to be usable.

This is looking the other way, on the other side of the room. We just painted and installed these this week. They are 1952 vintage metal medical cabinets. We repainted them, made a top and this will be the sideboard for the eating are. I'm still in the process of figuring out how I want to decorate above them.

My friend RenoFan also mentioned I show you all the true 'horror' of this remodel. *LOL* This whole area was basically ripped out, right down to very carefully lifting all the heart pine, removing layers and layers of floors and replacing the floor joists .. then building from the floors on up. We were known by the neighborhood children as the people with the scary pit in their house. ;) Which of course was way cool and everyone had to check out. *LOL* We opened two rooms together that large beam is a supporting LVL between the eating area and kitchen, we removed a load bearing wall there. It was a process and then some, it makes me truly thankfully for an operable and comfortable kitchen again.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Wow its even more amazing seeing how it all started...
    wonderful kitchen, congratulations!
    vic

• janefan
    15 years ago

WOW! You nailed it! Bright, classic, vintage, all-around perfect!!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

What a fabulous kitchen! What I love about it is that it's *totally* not *my* style, yet I *love* it!!!

I'm wondering how you managed to get a stepstool just the right shade of green to match everything else. I'm thinking you must have gotten the stepstool *first*, and then used that color as your driving force. ;-) (BTW, we had a stepstool just like that when I was growing up - not as cool a color, though!)

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the lovely comment on the kitchen!

Worldmom, I found the cans .. unfortunately I'm a rather messy painter and the drips down the side of the can have obscured the sticker they put on with the code. I tried to scrap the dried paint off, but only about half the formula is readable. If you're really interested let me know and I'll call my Sherwin Williams store and get the formulas for you. They thankfully keep the codes in the computer under the customer's names .. this fact has saved me many, many times! :)

• soshh
    15 years ago

I love it! Makes me miss my periwinkle blue hoosier even more!

• jax1723
    15 years ago

Great job!

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

This looks great! What colors are the walls and cabinets if you painted the cabinets?

As you know, I have a very similar Hoosier! I use ours to store barware mostly.

LOVE the vintage range. I wish we could do this. Sigh.

• garden18c
    15 years ago

Hi Zipdee,

Oh wow! Your kitchen is just wonderful! I love it all! We also had a step stool just like you've got. And had that exact Tappan stove with the pop open side storage and lower broiler compartment. I remember that so well - sitting on that same step stool with the flip out steps right across from that beautiful stove. My father sold the stove and the stool with our house - do you live in Ohio by chance? Maybe it's from our house!

Thanks for "taking me back" to our old kitchen. You've made a great kitchen. You must be loving it!

:)

• garden18c
    15 years ago

and I just remembered- we also had a counter like yours too - green linoleum with the metal edge!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the generous comments!

Gsciencechick, for the white on the walls, ceilings and cabinets we brought a subway tile in and had it color matched at SW. The walls and ceilings are painted with a semi gloss, the cabinets are painted with Cabinet Coat. This is actually the same white we've used on all of the trim on the inside of our home, since the bathrooms use the same white subways. It's a warm white, not quite an off white, but not bright white either. After the girls get home from school I'll go out to the cottage outback and see if we have a can around.

Garden18C .. How cool you had a kitchen growing up so similar to this one!! We're in NC. I honestly love this stove, it amazes me every day it's 60 years old and still is turning out great meals.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen - and that vintage range is priceless. What a beauty!