Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_monkeyjac

Finished kitchen pics

gw_monkeyjac
15 years ago

I am a long time lurker and my kitchen has been finished for about 6 months. I wasn't going to post my pics, but I remember how much I loved looking at finished photos during my remodel. My kitchen has undoubtedly turned out much better because of this forum. I appreciate all the help I got from so many people on this forum. I can provide details if requested, but for now I'll just post pics.

Comments (35)

• berf
    15 years ago

That blue star is awesome! I love the wall color and the pendants in particular--I think they really personalize the look. Congrats!

• beware
    15 years ago

Details, Oh, please! Was this a remodel? If so, what was the "before" like? Please tell what your granite is. Very nice!

• klutterkara
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! love your huge island....was it a remodel??? Would love to see before if so....

• jamms
    15 years ago

Great Kitchen!! Details, please! Especially floor, cabs and granite. Thanks!

• aupatrick
    15 years ago

I would love some information about your cabinets. What type of wood, stain, etc.

• jlinajo
    15 years ago

Great island design, great pendants and a wonderful floor. Love the warm feel it gives off.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Great island! Very pretty kitchen and lots of wonderful details.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

You weren't going to post pics??? You mean you were planning on depriving us from seeing your beautiful creation??? Well, I'm thrilled you had a change of heart LOL! (Actually, I'm laughing because I really know the feeling about withholding photos. Others here will tell you it's been like pulling teeth to get me to part with even partial photos of my work in progress. But, that's mainly because I worry that I have nothing to show. That's definitely not so in your case!)

This is a marvelous kitchen! Just the sheer size and openness of the layout is remarkable in and of itself. But the combo of the colors and the finishes really set it off. Then, of course, the Bluestar is showing off with the command of a rock star. :) And, that island? Has to be one of the snazziest ever! Oh yes, details please. And, congratulations to you on turning out such a lovely kitchen!

• eastcoastmom
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen from beginning to end - just gorgeous, classic, tasteful and elegant! I love the transitional feel - a great blend of the traditional and the new. I'd walk in and feel immediately at home there.

Would love some details. Can you tell us where you got the pendants? I'm also wondering if some of the pendants are on longer cords than others due to the changing ceiling height. If so, I'm really thrilled to see how great it looks in your kitchen since I need to do the same (and have been worrying about it, probably needlessly). Love the floor, too - is that marble or a porcelain tile? And tell me more about that awesome backsplash! The granite (is that Santa Cecelia?) ties everything together beautifully as do the paint colors you chose.

Great work.

• momtothree
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen. I would like more info on your cabinets also. What type of wood and stain? What color is your granite?

• jdechris
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! and so huge!
    Please give details.. the more the better

• danielle00
    15 years ago

Amazing! Stunning. Your pictures are wonderful too (such great quality). Also, compliments on the cookbook collection (the Bibles and Silver Spoon in particular).

I hope you check back to give details. I for one would love to know what paint color that is.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• gw_monkeyjac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the kind words. This was a remodel. The original kitchen was builder grade 1986. We removed the awkward partition walls and opened up the space to the dining room and family room. We removed a set of sliding doors to the pool, closed it in and that became the range wall. I'll post some before pics below. The granite is New Venetian Gold; floor is porcelain called Angkor Oro made to look like stone with 4 different sizes set in a french pattern on the diagonal; cabinets are local custom, maple with warm walnut stain; backsplash is tumbled travertine called Tumbled Viarta with enhanced sealer and local custom made accent tiles behind the range; the pendants are from Elk Lighting, Stone Mosaic Collection, yes they are hung at different lengths, we had to order extra chain; the island is roughly 14' long with a semi circle for seating, the contractor referred to it as a continent; paint is BM Desert Tan; faucets are Rohl in polished nickel; hardware is Emtek Tuscany Twist, medium bronze.

Here's the before pics:

this is the new prep sink area; the window was removed and a shorter one put above the prep sink; this entire partial wall was removed to allow a pass through to the dining room

This is the slider that was removed and became the range wall

This pic shows the weird partial walls

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Wow so inspirational! What a wonderful renovation and it turned out so perfectly!

Kat

• pam2007
    15 years ago

WOW....I love it....that is one big a** fridge!! Nice job.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Great kitchen--what a difference from what you had!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Wow! You truely had vision to turn the old into the new. I love everything about your new kitchen. The light, the pendants, the range, the floor the cabs everything

• megradek
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!! It's such a beautiful kitchen that was created out of an awkward space. It appears to be very well thought out and 'workable' now! just gorgeous colors. So glad you posted!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Wow! So big and light and bright! Love it!
    May I archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Wow what a great transformation...so much room!
    Congrats!
    vic

• alicia58801
    15 years ago

Amazing! I'm always amazed when someone can completely transform a kitchen like that. How do you get the vision to see past the old and create something so different and wonderful?

Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

• jen19083
    15 years ago

Hot damn, that's a great kitchen! Gorgeous! Love the floor, the granite, the island, well, pretty much everything. . .

• donka
    15 years ago

Hehe...I'd say by the number of 'Wow!' comments you've received you definitely have a winner there :) I love everything about it. Gorgeous, thanks for posting!

• minac
    15 years ago

I thought because you weren't planning to post pictures that you just did a minor upgrade on a new construction home. When I saw the before pictures - holy cow. The island, the pendant and the stove are my favorite. It looks like it is such a great space for entertaining. Did it take awhile to come up with the layout and design?

• tootiepugsmom
    15 years ago

Holy Mother!!!!! What kind of fridge is that?!?! I have never seen a fridge of such gargantuan porportions before! It's truly awesome! :))

Who is the maker of that fridge?

• luclin999
    15 years ago

I'm curious as to the what the floor tiles are?

Natural stone or a manufactured product?

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

vavavoooom!!!

Excellent design, looks great.
    When is the party for forum members ?

• katiee511
    15 years ago

Holy Cow!! I thought your huge kitchen was gorgeous.... until you posted the before....... now I am just STUNNED at the transformation!! It is sooooo different from what it was. Incredible vision! It doesn't even look like the same house. Wonderful, just absolutely jaw dropping wonderful! You must be so pleased.

Thank you so much for sharing. What a beautiful way to start my day :)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Congratulations on an amazing job! Terrific combo of materials and a truly one of a kind layout!

I have a couple of questions:
    1) Do you like having your prep sink on the outer wall and clean up sink on the island? Had you ever considered it the other way around?

2) I too have a 48" Blue Star. Can you tell me what size liner and manufacturer it is and what blower and how many CFM's you have.

Again, my compliments and enjoy!!!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

Absolutely fantastic! What a silly little thing my kitchen seems next to yours!!! I love it all, but I particularly love the curved seating area at the island. We love our peninsula seating, but how nice to actually be able to see the other people sitting with you! Gorgeous and congrats on a beautiful job.

• saskatchewan_girl
    15 years ago

Such a truly AMAZING kitchen. Love the colors and cabinets style. I really like the inset openning for your tea towels and the TV over the fridge. Absolutley love your tile and pattern also!
    So what do you store in the smaller pull outs at the bottom of your cabinets? Garbage bags, pet food dish?? They look so cool!
    Beautiful!

• gw_monkeyjac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for all the kind words. This is my dream kitchen. I have been dreaming about this kitchen for 25 years. I have been tearing pictures out of magazines, researching appliances and drooling over other's kitchens for most of my life. It has everything in it I have always wanted and I couldn't be happier. It's so nice to know that so many others think this is a great kitchen also. When I discovered that other people on this forum were as TKO as me, I knew I found my home. I would love to invite you all over for a giant GW party.

In answer to some questions:

I love having the prep sink on the window wall. Because I wanted a very large single bowl sink for my main sink, I knew I didn't want to sacrifice all of that counter space on the window wall, so I never thought of swapping the two sinks. It's worked out just fine for us.

The refrigerator and freezer are Frigidaire. They are separate units made to look like one large unit. They are counter depth and aren't really as big inside as they look.

The hood liner is VAH, 1200 cfms.

In the little drawers below the towel cabinets we store espresso paraphernalia, micro fiber cloths, extra pegs for the peg board dish storage drawers. They actually hold quite a bit.

By the way jessie21, there are no silly kitchens (except perhaps my kitchen before it was remodeled)!

• positano
    15 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen!! Where did you get those barstools? I love them!

• pdxgal
    15 years ago

Beautiful! It looks so open and spacious but still very useable and workable at the same time. Not easy to achieve. Love your pendant lights too!

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Beautifully done! Like Positano I would like to know where the barstools/chairs came from - love them, too!