Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beschenbach_gw

91% finished kitchen - but I still need your help!

beschenbach
14 years ago

Well, we're in the homestretch, phew! I am still struggling with the following:

- pendant lighting: The ones in the pics are placeholders and we're not thrilled with them because they are so low and not adjustable. They were like $20 from Menards to help us just get by. We are leaning toward Pottery Barn's rustic glass pendants, but are a tiny bit concerned about the bare bulb showing through.

- ligthing over kitchen table. We don't want anything too crazy ornate and want it to go with whatever pendants we pick.

- look at the "message center". Do you think the hardware works with it? Something about it just doesn't seem right to me. Also am looking to maybe get cuter baskets or somehting to spruce it up a bit.

- Would you paint the patio door window frame to match the white trim?

First, a "before" picture:

Here you go:

[before fireplace]

Comments (30)

• jeri
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Hard to believe it is the same kitchen!

I have to ask... As someone who is currently trying to decide on the "Right White" Â what White did you use?

• spinmomnj
    14 years ago

WOW! I love the transformation. You did a great job putting it all together.

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

I have no advice - but that's beautiful!

• morton5
    14 years ago

Your kitchen came out so beautifully! Now, aren't you just thrilled with that Colonial Gold granite? I think it was a perfect choice. I love your delicate cabinet hinges, and your garden window looks like a happy place for plants.

I think the desk area is lovely, but if it is bothering you, I have a couple of suggestions, but I think they would mean putting holes in that gorgeous wood. I would put a montage of framed photos on the wood backsplash, or I would cover the center panel of the backsplash with a cork or fabric-covered bulletin board.

Yes, I would paint the frame of the patio doors to match the moulding. But, it's not a noticeable difference in color in your photos.

Sorry, no suggestion for a chandy over your table.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

No advice either (sorry! :-)) but had to chime in to say "Wow, what a transformation! It looks terrific!"

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Another no advice person, just another drooler. Just saying that what you have is gorgeous. Beautiful kitchen. What did you use for your in-cab lighting?

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your island!

• helensaxenian
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Question: where did you place your outlets on that gorgeous island?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Lovely!

Do you have glass knobs on your kitchen uppers? I can't see them clearly but they look more delicate than the ones I see on the uppers of your message center.

The only other advice for that area is similar Morton5 said...I'd like something more personal and colorful behind the desk area...I would have put a corkboard inside the frame of the backsplash or maybe hang some painted and framed tiles or plates or something? Maybe just something as simple as an old silver or ceramic pitcher to hold pens ...Something to give it more personality and make a bit more 'friendly' and a place that looks like you love it and use it. It doesn't have to be cluttery to say those things. The baskets are a good start.

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! Gosh, I am so impressed that morton5 remembered my granite dilemma! It is growing on me, but if I were to do it all again, I would have tried to find something with similar coloring but a bit more monochromatic, but oh well!

Actually I have thought about cork-boarding the middle area of the message center backsplash. Something about it just is off to me. Also I do think the hardware just isn't right. We had those knobs on the upper cabinets in the kitchen area too and they were too clunky/cold, so we swapped them out for the glass ones. Maybe I could try the glass ones there too, but I'm not sure if they make sense for a message center? I'll continue to play with it, but it does still just not feel lived in looking quite yet. I've got 4 little kids with lots of craft projects, so maybe I'll commission them to do something there :) I do want to avoid clutter though.

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! Gosh, I am so impressed that morton5 remembered my granite dilemma! It is growing on me, but if I were to do it all again, I would have tried to find something with similar coloring but a bit more monochromatic, but oh well!

Actually I have thought about cork-boarding the middle area of the message center backsplash. Something about it just is off to me. Also I do think the hardware just isn't right. We had those knobs on the upper cabinets in the kitchen area too and they were too clunky/cold, so we swapped them out for the glass ones. Maybe I could try the glass ones there too, but I'm not sure if they make sense for a message center? I'll continue to play with it, but it does still just not feel lived in looking quite yet. I've got 4 little kids with lots of craft projects, so maybe I'll commission them to do something there :) I do want to avoid clutter though.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Dear Beschenbach: Your kitchen is perfect! I love how warm and inviting it looks. From the beautiful cabinets (which look very custom) to the warm tones of the granite and wood floors it is just perfect. Maybe that is why we are having trouble coming up with suggestions for the lighting and message area. It is a little hard to tell in the picture you posted, but it seems like the patio door might be OK staying as it is (stained wood). You have enough wood in your kitchen between the message center and island that the wood seems to work. But I'm sure white would be fine too. I like the corkboard suggestion for the message area.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I think I'd like the glass knobs on the message center uppers better, too.

• redroze
    14 years ago

Wow, love it!!! Love the open cubbies in the island, love the island colour, love the granite (Bianco Antico I spy?), love the inset cabs and exposed hinges, love the efficient use of space and tons of storage. Love it all!

My personal opinions:
    - Yes, get the PB rustic glass pendants and don't have a tiny second thought about the bulbs showing. They would be perfect.
    - I'm sensing a slight leaning towards country/rustic so I'd say go with a rustic chandelier above the kitchen table. Something with lots of metal but no glass, as you'll already have the glass in the pendants. Something like this.
    - The message center is super cute. I think you should switch out the baskets so they're four of the same kind. Try a white basket - it may work - as you've already got pops of the wood colour in the chair, countertop and backsplash and corbels. I think the hardware's fine...it's on your other white cabs so it should technically work.
    - I'd paint the inside of the doors white to match the trim. OR if you love the colour of the doors, match the trim to the doors.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful, and I like what you did to your fireplace. Very nice.

• autumngal
    14 years ago

Beautiful- I think the rustic PB pendants would look amazing in that space. It's really amazing!

• vanisleevt
    14 years ago

Nice job! Very nice indeed.
    Our kitchen which is in the rough-in stage will have a similar look to yours and we have purchased the PB rustic glass pendants. I remember when I found them and showed DW, she was hooked immediately. We had to jump through some big hoops to get them though because PB doesn't ship to Canada. I had them shipped to a friend in MN and then he shipped them to me, just waiting for them to arrive.

• colickyboy
    14 years ago

Wow. What an amazing kitchen. The cabinets are glorious.

Must. Control. Jealousy....

• ginabmg
    14 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen. We are now the before picture and our KD is suggesting a layout just like yours! Can I ask how big your island is and how much space do you have between the island and sink and refrigerator? Thanks so much!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I don't have advice either, but what a lovely space you made!!! You must be so pleased. Enjoy!

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THanks again for more suggestions...you are all the best!

Jeri: The white on the cabinets is very similar to BM Cloud White. There are lots of great threads on here about whites - if I were to do it all over again I probably would have gone a tiny bit creamier, probably BM Mayonnaise.

ginabmg - my island is 34" x 70". THere is about 35" clearance btween the fridge and the granite edge, and 39" between the cabinet and the granite edge. This is because the fridge sticks out a little bit even though it is "cabinet depth". Between sink and granite edge, it's about 36". These distances are a little bit tighter than ideal, but because of our island layout, the cabint guy couldn't really shrink it any more. We have our trash in our island (which I LOVE!!!) and we needed the space for that. I really really do love our island - it's my favorite aspect of our kitchen!

Redroze - thanks for chiming in, I LOVE your kitchen!! I almost got bianco antico (had slabs on reserve!), but instead we went with Colonial Dream (which is the same as Colonial Gold I think). The PB chandeleir you posted is the exact one we are thinking of getting, so it must be a sign! Regarding the baskets.... I do want to get 4 of the same. I was just trying out a few. And now I went back to Homegoods and I can't get more of them. Oh well, they were cheap (like $6?) so I'm probably back to the drawing board anyway.

vanisleevt - I'm excited to see how your pendants turn out. I'll make sure to post pics of mine too!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Beschenbach,

I adore your kitchen and the Colonial gold is a perfect
    choice with those rich creamy white cabinets. And the
    warm wood of the island. The window with the herbs is
    elegant but earthy. I love the look. It is funny you
    are thinking of the pottery barn light because your kitchen
    is right out of Pottery Barn designs. Truly it is so
    pretty with a clean, fresh, warm and inviting sense of
    style. I like the movement on the granite it subtly add a
    texture without being rough. The baskets also provide
    that texture without pulling it all down. Beautifully
    done. You should be proud of yourelf.

Pendant light? PB is the one. You already know this.
    I agree with Redroze the bulb will not be an issue.
    Redroze's other light idea is Excellent!

Message center?
    The wood counter is divine. Great space.
    Take two of the baskets out and put some vases there.
    Something white or crystal. Maybe vases or frames from
    Pottery barn.
    {{!gwi}}

Would you paint the patio door window frame to match the
    white trim?

Yes! I think some would call me the matchy match girl.
    I can't help it.

Love your kitchen!
    ~boxer

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Wow! What a change! Your kitchen was very nice before, but now it's really light and fresh and very, very lovely!

Wonderful job! Congratulations!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Love the crown molding, love the cabinet to the counter, love the island, love the desk! You did a great job.

For your desk area, try the 3M sticky stuff before putting holes in that gorgeous wood. Blast I can't think what it's called but we used it for our DS1's dorm walls (can't put holes in the walls) to hang framed posters and such and it works very well without leaving marks. This way you'd get to play with what you do here without making permanent holes.

I love that PB chandelier but will it be enough light for you? We started out with a chandelier with one 100 watt bulb. It was fine for young eyes, not so good 15 years later. We replaced it with a chandelier with more wattage: three 75 watt Halogen bulbs. One is burned out at the moment, giving us only 150 watts and it's definitely not enough light for us.

What is the distance between cabinet side and slider door (to its opening)? We have 7" between cabinet and door opening and I've been wondering if I can cheat that down an inch or two without it feeling crowded. TIA!

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boxer, thanks for your suggestions. I really value your opinion, and have always loved how you share so many pictures on your posts!

Lisa A - we have 4.75" between the end of cabinet to the end of trim. The trim is 3.5", and the tiny bit of wall that shows is only 1.25". It seems fine to me. Actually it was kind of nice because the base molding around the bottom is about 1.25 so it butted right up against the molding for the patio door. I definitely like your idea about using the 3M sticky stuff. I won't be putting any holes in that wood until I am 100% sure I like what I'm seeing. Always work in progress!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Thanks for measuring for me, beschenbach. We have 5" between fridge side and DR doorway (other wall) and it's never been a problem but I hesitated to do the same clearance between cabinet and door on this wall (don't ask me why, I've no idea). Glad to hear it's not been an issue for you. I can certainly use that extra 2" of counter and cabinet space.

• jenva2010
    14 years ago

Wow, that is one gorgeous kitchen! I think the PB pendants would look great. Definitely paint the patio door white. As for the message center, I'd really hate to see you put holes in that gorgeous wood -- what about a framed linen corkboard, propped up on an easel?

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen it's just beautiful. I would leave the door frame as is. It looks like its in great shape and I think looks great with the message center. I think glass knobs would look pretty on your message center. I saw this thread on the Decorating Forum. It had a Pottery Barn chandelier posted on it and fellow posters found it on Overstock for her much cheaper. I think it would look great in your kitchen. Scroll down the thread a bit for the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier thread

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

I don't have much advice, but I want to say that I love, love, love your kitchen. If I was doing a white kitchen, I'd want mine to be exactly like yours :-). I know you aren't overly keen on your granite, but it's my favorite element, which is a hard thing to say because you have so many wonderful elements. But I think your granite is P-E-R-F-E-C-T! It makes it unique so it's not the standard cookie cutter white kitchen. Not only that, but it adds fabulous texture to your kitchen. I think any less busy would have been too sterile and blah. I think you hit a home run with every detail, especially the granite. Hopefully you will grow to adore it as much as I do :-)

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

needsometips08, you just made my day. Smiles to you!

I just ordered the pottery barn light fixtures, so keeping my fingers crossed!