Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Rethinking neutrals :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Well, after finding a beautiful blue countertop with white cabinetry...on an island (exactly what I've wanted) I realized it's too dark and heavy. Also, I was watching Sarah Richardson's farmhouse remodel (the family bathroom) where she thought about using blue tile. When she explained why she never uses blue tiles, but blue in paint, fabrics, accessories, etc...it made a lot of sense!

So, I'm rethinking neutrals. I really like this picture, but the butcher block is not going to work, unless I put something like Waterlox on it. We live on a farm and have a lot of people over, especially in the summer...and someone will most definitely leave water glasses, beer, etc. on the island for long periods of time.

That being said, would it be better to have the same white/light countertop on perimeter and island (and paint the island blue) or have all white cabinetry, with the butcher block island?

Thanks in advance...and here are my pictures :)

Inspiration kitchen

{{gwi:1412555}}

Color I'd like to use, if island is blue

{{!gwi}}

What I want island to look like, from side

{{gwi:1412556}}

This backsplash over the range is really pretty...and I'm wondering if something like this would be easier to work with, than the delft tile. Great window and range hood (love the shapes) they seem almost fairy tale, at least to me :)

{{gwi:1412554}}

And a Zodiaq countertop I found...Snow White. True, I love the name, but the color is very neutral/white LOL

{{!gwi}}

Comments (40)

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

don't be afraid of oiled butcherblock. We have had ours for about 8 years, and it looks fantastic. I cut right on it, put hot pans on it, and find it very functional.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

LL- I am going the wood route too and will use Waterlox. Waterlox can be spot finished for scratches and touch-ups. Also if it can take the wear and tear of foot traffic on floors, I say give it a go. With your design it will look beautiful. Somewhere the owner of Waterlox popped on here in a thread and said once Waterlox cures it is completely food safe.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm worried about the water glasses sitting on it. If I'm up visiting my mom...and my husband and his friends are in the kitchen...it could be a disaster! LOL

While I could insist they keep coasters under the glasses, move them immediately, etc...I don't want to be that stressed over any countertop! If yours hold up well to water glasses sitting there for a few hours...I would definitely reconsider! :)

If not, I'm thinking of a big bread board, that would slide in under the countertop. I could use it for chopping, making bread, etc...then put it away. I wonder if you could store marble that way...take it out to roll dough and then slide it back under the counter. No high maintenance worries!

• bh401
    13 years ago

I think the white with the butch block on your blue island would be very pretty, if your not too stressed over rings and such on. You'll love your zodiaq! Put in Mbath when we remodeled. Another option, if the wood worries you, is to put a contrasting color of zodiaq on your pretty blue island:) As far as your slide out marble for baking. That's a great idea. They do it with cutting boards. This may sound crazy but...pull out drawer front with marble slab and pop down leg?? Instant dough center? Or just have a shallow shelf just under countertop to slide your marble into when done.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Never ending- Waterlox is sounding like a real possibility :)

Bh- I'm so glad that you like your zodiaq! The marble slab with pop down leg sounds like a wonderful idea. I don't think I'll have room for it, but it would be a great solution!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

LL,
    Wood is beautiful. I think people forget that wood is
    a great surface. It scratches no more than granite or
    marble or steel. Is fantastic to work with and can really
    soften a white kitchen space.
    ~boxer

Material and Source Blog

Kitchen with Crown molding

Devos Woodworking Walnut Island

Devos Woodworking Island walnut

The Kitchen Farmhouse

Endura Wood

Bumbenhauer

Links about wood counters

Wood Counter?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0620154929750.html

wood countertops and heat
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1110384326294.html

Can we talk about wooden counter tops again...please.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1012474012519.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Kitchen Countertop

• rosie
    13 years ago

Lavender Lass, I love reading about your kitchen. For me, I love pretty stuff but nevertheless OD on sugar fairly fast, so wood and stainless have the special virtue of cutting the sugar, letting me get away with more painted china, etc.

I haven't noticed where you feel that need, though, or really, really want wood. If that's the case, why get it? I have wood counters, Waterloxed. They're beautiful, we're very pleased with our choice, and I have 0 problems with water penetration. Simply not a worry. However, my kitchen gets a lot of use, they get scrubbed down, and less than 2 years along I'm probably overdue for putting another coat on. I'd really like to hire someone to do that for me and just go away if I could afford, though. Although it goes on very easily and is a great DIY job, I need to sand down the top coats because I like their low or medium gloss and more than about 2 coats start looking hazy from the particles used to create the lower gloss. Also, the fumes are horrendous (professional-quality mask definitely required), and we're living here now.

So my rec is wood IF you love it and other materials just don't do it for you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I have to chime in vociferously in favor of wood.

We seem to be the only country with a fear of it.

It occurs to me that I am always talking about how well my long cherry counter held up. BUt I also have a cherry Stickley table that I used as a kitchen table (see link). The table was used daily for the last 9years ... and I have kids who are now 7,8,11. It has seen a lot of action! It is not pristine, but it is still beautiful ... I will reuse it in my new home.

Also, to give you an idea of my confidence in wood, I am using hand hewn wood counters around my sink --- with an integrated drainboad.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen table

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I thought of you the other day - I saw in person a sample of the cambria parys, which is a lighter blue quartz. Very low maintenance, and a lovely french blue. It is much prettier in person (because the pale blue sparkles) than online (where the grey shows too much). I might try to sneak some into my breakfast bar.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

LL-
    I love this kitchen because of the counters but think of you when I see the blue.

I'm sure you've seen her kitchens before, but here's the link in case you haven't!

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Serra

• skyedog
    13 years ago

I would never talk anyone out of a wood countertop - they are always beautiful. However, I have to wonder about you straying into the "let's go neutral" territory. Your original posts were always so fresh and pretty and I suspect they reflected your personality more than just a little. Now your are getting closer and closer to white on white, not necessarily bad but is that what you really want?

I find it hard to believe a blue island top would look heavy in your scenario. OK, I'm somewhat biased because I have a blue counter and just ordered half a pallet of blue backsplash tiles but did you talk yourself out of something you liked because of what someone said about a bathroom tile?

Maybe you should focus in on your backsplash and get that settled and then work to the counters and in. If you are thinking about a white decorated tile, the whites could be harder to match than you think. A delft white is not the same as a subway white. Once you decide on the perimeter of the room for sure, I think the island will be easier to pick out.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

No coasters needed!

Lav lass, the oiled finish does not form rings from drinking glasses like a wood surface with a poly or varnish. It's really not a problem at all. we eat dinner at the island all the time with no place mats or coasters.

Honestly the butcher block is so easy to live with. The only stains I have ever needed to deal with are berries, which came right out with baking soda and lemon juice. I even got black sharpie out with a light hand sanding. And was the able re-oil good as new

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think making the kitchen more neutral for the permanent fixtures makes a lot of sense. It allows you to have all your fairy tale accessories and add your personality with paint as well. Years from now, your tastes may change or you may just want to refine your look and with a more neutral background, you will have more creative freedom.
    It also helps for resale, but that is a secondary reason, unless you have an idea you could move in the near future.
    I saw the pic never ending posted for you and think some blue tiles like those or some other pale color with the washed out look would work beautifully with the look you are aiming for. They have a kind of dreamy finish to them...

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, I love all your kitchen pictures. However, a lot of them look to be as big as my house! I love my little 9x11 ft kitchen--don't need a paid help to keep it tidy! I'm a lot more comfortable, I found, over at the Small Home forum.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

I'm not one for painted color cabinets... that being said, the blue island inspiration pic you have is wonderful. If a white/blue kitchen color scheme would work in my house, I would do the white/cream perimeter cabs you've planned with it's beautiful workhorse counter of zodiac...

and then put in your blue island... and if you can get get past the possible maintenance issues of wood (and with each successive post, it sounds like it's less of an issue), I'd put in a dark wood, gorgeous counter.

I don't think I'd do the blue tiles. The blue tiles might get old after awhile (eye level etc), but I think the island blue is 1. beautiful, 2. not in your face, and if you go with the dark wood, it may neutralize the blue a bit. (then to pull that blue back out, use wall paint, or accessories which can easily be switched down the road if you so choose)

I do think the blue/white/yellow scheme is a classic combination that if done correctly does not date itself.

I personally have had an ongoing love affair with rich, deep burgendyish wood (dark cherry) pretty much my whole life, so I won't be entering the painted kitchen cabinet world.

regardless, do what your heart loves. there is nothing like walking into a room and simply being happy because it speaks to you. put your expensive, hard to change items in things which you have loved forever. put your easy to change out items in the passing fancies of the heart.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I vote for neutrals, supplemented by accents in your color. It is simply the most practical thing for what is the most costly room in your home.

Or, use color in ways that are less costly to change. For example, a painted beadboard backsplash. Even tile is not too terrible to change out, if it is only in a small area.

At the end of the day the most beautiful things in your kitchen, and most in keeping with your theme, would be a beautiful old blue and white pitcher filled with hydrangea, a big bowl of ripe pears, etc etc etc

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Beachlily,

Gosh,

I am truly sorry.

The last thing in the world I would ever want to do is make
    anyone feel uncomfortable or that the kitchen forum is not
    a great place with kind people. I love kitchen eye candy
    and to share them. The pics I post are just about dreaming,
    planning, helping others who might have the funds and space
    to create a their own kitchen. Or offer creative ideas
    to another who might enjoy them. My posts are never to make
    anyone feel like the could not belong in Kitchens forum.
    ~boxer
    (The cook in a small 12 by 10 kitchen)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for the incredible responses and pictures :)

Here's the reason I'm rethinking the blue countertop :(

I found this elderberry corian, which is just beautiful.

{{!gwi}}

And then I saw it on an island...and it seemed huge, dark and VERY blue.

{{!gwi}}

Not at all what I was picturing...so I started thinking of something lighter, with a softer blue paint on the island...and maybe the hutch.

I love color and plan to have a lot in my kitchen, which includes the dining area..and a small seating area. I don't like white walls, so I think the soft yellow, with the blues picked up in the accent pieces and lots of plants...not to mention fabrics with all the colors, plus some lavender, would be really pretty :)

As for the butcher block, I'm planning to use vinyl floors (that look like wood) in a medium tone...and I have the wood for the dining table and four chairs (banquette will be upholstered) so I'm not sure about more wood. What I'd really love to find is a solid surface (like corian) that actually looks like carrera marble. I mean, really looks like it...then I'd put that on the french blue island!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Now that I've seen it on that island my eyes hurt. Yeah, let's do something else.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinch me- LOL! That's exactly how I felt, too :)

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Creamy white perimeter, blue island with wood top. Don't give up on your blue and white kitchen!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I dont want to offend, but that blue island is ... offensive.

Contrast it with the soft blue in your second inspiration photo ... why not that on the base of an island, and wood or white on the top?

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Yes, let's explore the blue island again. Wood top. You're still going with the whitish perimeter?

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Not enough coffee today, I guess. Wood counter. I've used my round oak table for 45 years. It's had everything you can roll out rolled out on it. Coffee spills. Wet glasses left standing. Pans directly from the stove or oven set on it. Cigarette burns; it's seen it all. It is still serving me today. I had to refinish it after a can of Mountain Dew was left on it in my garage when I moved in March, froze and took every bit of marine spar varnish off of it and bleached the wood a dead color. I'm looking down the road and considering butcher block "next time". I really like my Formica so the butcher block won't be any time soon.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's more the feel I want in the kitchen...light, bright and airy, with white, blues, greens...but I'd have the soft yellow walls. Maybe not quite this much green in the fabric (I need more blue and lavender) but lots of green plants and sunshine :)

{{gwi:1412552}}

This is from BH&G

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

scroll almost to the bottom. Blue everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: a lot of blue

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I took a cooking class last weekend, and they had a corian counter (donated for promotion) that did indeed look very much like carrera ... I am not a fan of faux marble but I was impressed.

I do believe, though, that someone said it was more expensive ... not sure why you wanted corian over marble, if for savings or upkeep...

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry about getting tired of a vibrantly painted cabinet. It can always be repainted - indeed, will probably need to be, by the time you are ready for a change.

A colored counter - now that is a commitment. I probably wouldn't do it.

As for wood, I can't speak to Waterlox, but oiled butcherblock is tough stuff. I have a large end grain cutting board, and I set hot pots on it, leave standing water on it, basically mistreat it, and it doesn't suffer. Admittedly, chopping beets leaves a stain - which eventually goes away - but your husband and his friends aren't going to do that. It is also easy to refinish, should it be needed. A few passes with a belt sander and you're back to virgin wood.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Here is a very neutral blue kitchen ;)

Seriously, though, I would not give up on your blue island or countertop because of one bad picture. You can always just look around more to find the perfect blue and there are lots of pretty kitchens w/ blue islands:

And you know me, I am not a fan of neutrals and I love blue! I say go all out and go snow white :)

• kathec
    13 years ago

Lavender, have you picked your yellow yet? If not, check out the old Martha Stewart Everyday Colors Pale Naples Yellow H13. I had this gorgeous color in my 1st house living/dining room and in my daughter's nursery in our second house. It's a gorgeous, sunny color that doesn't scream at you in the morning. I've dug out my old swatch and I'm thinking about using it in my kitchen.

Good Luck!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for the advice, pictures and links! :)

I watched Sarah Richardson again (I love the farmhouse series) and I'm leaning towards neutral countertops and sticking with paint, fabrics and accessories for the color.

Kathy- That yellow sounds beautiful, thank you.

Beagles- I like the first kitchen! (LOL) Seriously, the second kitchen is beautiful, but I'm a little concerned that the blue is going to be too cold...even with the yellow. The kitchen will be on the south corner of the house, but most of the light is in the dining and seating areas. The kitchen work area will not have a lot of outside light, so I really want to keep it warm and cheerful...but definitely Snow White! :)

Johnliu- The butcher block would definitely be warmer! The maintenance is what worries me, so I'm happy to read that yours has held up so well. I'd rather not use Waterlox, so how often do you oil your butcher block?

Mtnrdredux- Do you know what the corian was called? I love the look of marble, but don't want to deal with the maintenance. Living on a farm, lots of people who visit and busy with animals and gardening...you can't always be around to make sure glasses aren't left on counters....or kids aren't pouring their own drinks. I really need something low maintenance and VERY forgiving :)

Pinch me- Those pictures are very pretty...and a nice shade of blue on the walls. Thanks for the link.

• morgne
    13 years ago

Lavender Lass,

The thing that has always struck me about your inspirational posts isn't necessarily the popping colors. It's the softened fairy tale look. I don't think that necessarily the solid dark blues or solid bright blues offer that "soft" and blended look. Many new materials are never going to age to a soft look.

I had noticed sort of what looked like an creeping change to your "dreams" in that at the beginning it looked like more of your photos were a subtler, fanciful, dreaming? look. Even your name, lavender lass has that feel to it. Is this a direction change you are looking for? When we were originally looking at your photos they basically had many wood counters or countertops, this well worn feel of antiques and old french bistros. Now more of your conversation are about things like wanting to maybe stay away from wood because it will appear old.

I don't want to seem like I'm putting down that feeling just that it wasn't where I thought you were coming from on your pictures.

Your posts 4 months ago:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1116180518393.html
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111457305506.html

I'm just putting it out there. You know. You may be adjusting towards a style thats more you but you also may have been distracted from your overall goals.

That being said:

What if you went with a blue died wood ctop? I think that could be stunning. It's hard to find examples of blue wood but I did find a couple just for the case of examples that it could be done and allows the lovely look of the wood to come through:

This is a blue stained wood made from recycled materials. Myself, I'd go a bit more blue grey but that's me.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/46720378/blue-wood-external-500gb-portable-hard

Darker, shiny blue stained box:

http://www.dixiemadewoodworks.com/bonnie-blue/

Before and after photos of a blue stained dresser:

http://imperfectlyhappytiff.blogspot.com/2010/10/dresser-done-overthe-reveal.html

Chess sets with blue stained wood:

http://www.thechessstore.com/category/u_chess_sets.chess_board_categories.blue_chess_boards/

Blue pine basket?

http://www.themegamall.info/wood_crafts_pg_.htm

Several stunning blue guitars in process as you scroll down. Well worth the effort to see these.

http://www.crimsonguitars.com/workshop-diary/230909

And then finally, if you'd ever go from more blue to more grey I *heart* ebonizing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doorsixteen/3294914801/

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Morgne- That's exactly it! I was trying to incorporate the blues and yellows into that look, but I think the blue countertops are too hard and dark.

These are my favorite pictures, for the kitchen area. If the materials will hold up to some abuse and not be too hard to maintain...I would love this look. If I didn't have to worry about damage, I would have butcher block on the perimeter cabinets and marble on the island...that would be my dream :)

{{gwi:617005}}

{{gwi:1412554}}

I love the banquette, but would have chairs a bit more 'french country'.

{{gwi:1412552}}

I love this idea for one of the upstairs bedrooms.

{{gwi:1412553}}

Here's my plan. Summerfield has been helping me with it (and I just asked for a few small changes, which explains my white out) but hopefully you get the idea. Thanks for the encouragement!

{{gwi:1416697}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

lavender,

I will ask the woman who taught the class, but I think it looks like it might be raincloud.

Btw, we oiled our cherry counter (tung oil, the same stuff they use on wooden salad bowls) about once a quarter. We would just remove anything on the counter, rub in the oil, wait overnight, then rub it in again and wipe off any excess.

Here is a link that might be useful: raincloud corian - scroll down

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the link. I'm going to see if I can find samples of Corian Raincloud and Ceasarstone Misty Carrera. They both look like they might work :)

Do you get water spots on your cherry counter?

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I still haven't figured out where your back door is. Do you come in through the covered deck, through the mud room, then pantry, dining room, kitchen? So incoming groceries go to the pantry? Where is the refrigerator? I've got a 20 foot walk and 2 steps with grocery sacks. Seems like plenty at my age.
    Will it be 20 feet from the front door to the coat closet?
    Your house is 3 times the size of my 1st floor so it seems like mileage to me ;-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Lavender lass,

No, not at all. Recall, too, I had a cherry table that the whole family used in the kitchen. The table got dinged here and there but it eventually all blended in. I was really incredulous at first --- you mean i can put a water glass right on it? With ice, in the summer?! I wouldnt have left it over night but otherwise no biggie.

Once in 9 years someone got a water ring on my table, but even that DH polished out.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinch me- The main floor is a little over 1500 square feet. The upstairs is about half that size and the basement living space is about 500 square feet.

I wanted all the spaces we 'have' to use, on the main floor. The upstairs is one bedroom, small bath and a small attic area...which could be another bedroom, but probably will be more of a flex space.

What I like about our set up is that most of our groceries go in the pantry or freezer...and now we have to walk all through the house to reach them. In the farmhouse, parking is right off the side stairs (covered deck) and paper products and other storage will probably go in one of the big cabinets in the mud room, then a few steps to freezer and pantry...so actually, much easier to unload groceries!

Right now, we park at the top of the yard (by the road) walk downhill, through the yard and up to the front door (probably about 60 feet each way) then another 30 feet through the house...so I guess it's all relative! LOL

I love this picture (looks like the colors we use when having tea and making little treats (with nieces and gal pals) minus the rooster! (The nephews and I make much more masculine treats.) Anyway, the marble is the rolling pin, but looks great with the other colors. I think a 'marble' solid surface would be wonderful, on the island :)

{{!gwi}}

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Formica 180fx has a carrera look color called calacatta marble. It should be more easy care than the real thing, and the pattern repeat is five feet. But still, I ordered several samples of the formica 180fx, and was less impressed with it in person. The colors were more washed out than I wanted (except burnished montana), and the etching finish can be overly prominent is some light. It seems like the color would be right for marble, but the gloss might be harder to fake.

but for your look, try this icestone blue sky - it's so much more delicate in pattern.
    {{!gwi}}

I think that large blocks of solid color, even white, may not get you the delicate "look." Picture this on an island with some white dishes and (of course) a pig towel.

This blue would blend well with white and wood countertops, so mix and match.

• cplover
    13 years ago

Lavender,

Check out theanimala's kitchen (she is on FKB), her kitchen has Misty Carrera. Best of luck!