Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_359916

Pictures of your painted oak cabinets?

Hi! I would love to see photos of your '90s oak cabinets that were painted to white. Would you paint the cabinets before replacing the counters or after? This is my inspiration photo !

Traditional Kitchen by Raleigh Interior Designers & Decorators Driggs Designs

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I would paint them before replacing the counters. That way you don't have to worry about dripping or spilling paint on the new counters. Even carefully covered you could still have a mishap.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting this - I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

These weren't 90's oak, they were 70's oak in our old kitchen mid-remodel.

There is a conglomerate of cabinets in this shot. The ones under the baking counter and on the right hand side are the oak ones. The one above the stove was a different wood than oak, species unknown, and left of the stove is an old metal cabinet we refreshed with white paint.

{{gwi:2136229}}

When the kitchen was done, we kept the oak drawer stack under the center of the lowered baking counter and oak the drawer and frame to the right of the stove. We made all new doors and some new cabinets, too. You can see the pictures in my reveal, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laughable's Farmhouse Kitchen Reveal

• lam702
    9 years ago

Paint first. I am finishing up painting my oak bathroom cabinets white, (they were a dark espresso) They turned out well, so much brighter and cleaner looking. Not that espresso isn't lovely in the right situation, but in my bathroom it was too dark. Used Cabinet Coat as per many GW'ers, very pleased with the way it levels out, a smooth, satin finish. Lots of work though, just to do 2 cabinets. A kitchen is quite the undertaking, but there are quite a few GW postings from those who've done it. I love that inspiration photo, especially those pendants!

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

I painted my 90s orange oak kitchen a light gray color BM cumulus cloud (some mistake it for white). I used cabinet coat as primer and BM's Advanced paint for paint. 4 coats total. I like the results. This isn't my dream kitchen but it will hold me over for a while :)

I painted before getting new countertops. I had carpet in the eating area and ugly tile in the kitchen so while updating the cabinets I just laughed when paint hit the floor or countertops. I couldn't care less.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Here's the desk and pantry area. I have BM simply white on the trim and door so you can clearly see the cabinets are gray while next to the white stuff.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Mine are 1991 builder's grade golden oak. I kept the boxes and got new doors, drawer fronts, crown and end panels. I had a professional painter do the work. The boxes were painted in place and everything else in their shop. The painting in place was done before my counters went in. My existing hardwood floor was well protected and didn't get a drop of paint on it. Cabs are BM Cloud White which is much creamier than in the photo.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

linelle - your kitchen looks fabulous! I wish I would have gotten new fronts but at the time I was excited to tackle the project on my own and paint the doors. I love the color choice - what a difference!

• ardcp
    9 years ago

mrsShayne- i love how your kitchen came out! i am very impressed that you did it yourself and i really like the exposed hinges...very cottagey
    linelle- love yours too! it looks so modern and sleek!