Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virginiagentleman_gw

To Advantium or not to Advantium that is the question

virginiagentleman
15 years ago

Well not exactly but close enough. We had originaly planned on a large range with the large and small oven configuration. Our design is such that something similar to that works best. I can't imagine ever needing 8 burners and even with a grill 6 seems like a lot for us. We entertain but not huge groups and the kids are just now moving out of the house. I have read a great deal on the Advantium and the reviews have been quite good for quite some time. If we got a smaller range with just one oven we could then get an Advantium to serve as a second oven and microwave. However the ony place it can go is low in the island. That would void the warranty. I do not think there is support in the family for other models which may work there. Will the Advantium suffice as the second oven and microwave? Some have told us that that would tie up the Advantiuim and you would not have access to the microwave. How often is that likely to occur? What about the warranty issue? Do we stay with the original idea? Thanks for your advice.

Comments (7)

• nancyjn
    15 years ago

I wouldn't do anything that would void the warranty. I have had mine for a year and am happy with it, but not as crazy about it as I thought I would be. When I first got mine, the display was all screwed up. It was under warranty, but it would have been over $400 to fix it if it wouldn't have been. They are expensive to fix when they break. The salesman highly recommended the extended warranty, but I declined.

I have had several times when I have been using the oven feature on the Advantium and needed a microwave. I try to plan ahead, but don't always. Also I find I use my regular oven when it would probably be more efficient to use the Advantium, but I know I am going to need the microwave feature. I think buying a very small microwave would be a good idea, but I haven't done that yet.

I do like using it for small things like biscuits and garlic bread, it seems so much more energy efficient than heating the regular oven.

Also the microwave function is great. There are so many settings and they work really well.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

there has been much discussion on the Appliance Forum about whether or not installing it under counter voids the warranty. Many people who have installed it that way and needed service have not had any issues. You might want to do a search over there. Good luck!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

cleo - you're leaving that beautiful kitchen!?! Good luck with your move! Will you have another kitchen to work on?

• peterxi
    15 years ago

When we faced the "under counter" dilemma several years ago, we chose what Kitchenaid called the Ultima oven at that time for this very reason--the instructions allowed for undercounter installation. I'm not following the appliance innovations in this type of oven...but note that most people talk about the GE Advantium as the standard. Several years ago, it appeared to me that both the ultima and advantium were fine.

The model number is The model is HBHS179 and its now called a convection microwave. I think there is a quartz heating element in the Kitchenaid product--but after looking at the website and the owners manual its not very clear to me. You may need to do a bit of research on this: its confusing what is in this product and how it relates to the Whirlpool products.

The product has been useful to us--but we haven't had anything to compare to.

I post the section below that I cut and pasted from the owners manual (current) that describes undercounter installation

For undercounter installation, it is recommended that
    the junction box be located in the adjacent right or left
    cabinet. If you are installing the junction box on rear wall
    behind the microwave oven, the junction box must be
    recessed and located in the upper or lower right or left corner of the cabinet; otherwise, the microwave oven will not fit into the cabinet opening.

• cleo07
    15 years ago

mahlgold
    I am almost done with this house so I get bored and want a new challenge. The only thing left to do here is a patio and I don't have any interest in that kind of heavy work.

I think we are moving back to our old house which has been rented for 6 years. Although the kitchen is only 8 years old, the former tenant decided to splotch paint on the new kraftmaid cabinets (she did not like the pinholes and glazing). ALthough I removed the paint splotches, they are not looking very good with the doors hanging off (screws are stripped) and the gloss removed.

It is a Cape Cod cottage style house so I will do a more cottage kitchen with open shelving, white Shaker cabinets and a huge soapstone sink with wall mount faucet and soapstone on the counters again. My budget will be lower so I am not doing commercial appliances either and am probably going to use IKEA cabinets since they are so highly spoken of on GW.

I am only moving if I can get what I want for this house so it is not a definite. I will miss the stone hood but that was not something I would repeat again-too much work dealing with the weight and cleaning issues.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

if you ever get the "itch" to work on another kitchen, you can come help with mine. I'm in NJ as well.

Good luck!