Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somanychoices_gw

Can You Stand One More Creamy White Kitchen?

somanychoices
14 years ago

Hi, Everyone -

I've been waiting for months to post this (I wanted to have my window treatments up!) and now I'm probably on the tail end of the white kitchen trend, but I found gardenweb so helfpul that I wanted to post my kitchen as a way of saying thanks to everyone, and as a way to possibly help those who are starting a kitchen renovation.

Here are the key details:

Perimeter Cabinets: Wellborn, Hanover Classic Drawer Front, Divinity

Island & Desk Cabinets: Wellborn, Hanover Classic Drawer Front, Sienna Charcoal

Perimeter & Island Granite: Jet Mist, Polished

Island: White Fantasy Quartzite

Backsplash Tile: 3 X 6 subway tile with crackle finish in Fleece (I think it's by a subsidiary of Sonoma Tile called California Tile or something like that...); The grout is bone

Knobs & Pulls: Hickory Hardware, American Diner, Satin Nickel

Kitchen Stools: Copy of Emeco Navy Chair, from Mod Lines by Design

Pendants: Hudson Valley Lighting, Winslow, Satin Nickel

Kitchen Sink: - Ticor S112 from Galaxy Tool Supply

Faucet & Soap Dispenser: Delta Allora

Hot/Cold Water Dispenser: InSinkerator, Transcape Line, Satin Nickel

Disposal: InSinkerator (with push button)

Dishwasher: KitchenAid

Refrigerator: GE Profile, French Door

Wall Ovens: GE Profile (top is Advantium, bottom is Trivection)

Cook Top: Thermador Electric (glass top with bridge element)

Hood: GE Monogram

Paint: Benjamin Moore, Smoke

Dining Room Chairs: Ballard Designs Parsons Chairs with Custom Slipcovers in a Sunbrella Fabric

Dining Table: Ethan Allen American Impressions (I had the top refinished by a local company)

Dining Room Chandelier: Quoroum Lighting, Loft, Satin Nickel

Woven Wood Blinds: Hunter Douglas, bottom-down, top-up

Buffet: Stanley Furniture, Melrose Beau Nouveau

Drapes & Hardware: DrapeStyle, Linen, Inverted Pleat

Floor: Red Oak, stained Special Walnut (two coats)

Mudroom & Laundry Room Cabinets: built/painted by contractor to match kitchen cabinets

Laundry Room Sink: Ticor S405

Laundry Room Faucet: Delta Allora (without pull down sprayer)

Mudroom Hooks: Hickory Hardware

Washer & Dryer: GE Profile

Rugs in Mudroom & Laundry Room: Dash & Albert

Family Room: Fireplace surround is stacked slate; hearth is bluestone; paint is Benjamin Moore Pismo Dunes at 50%; floor is engineered floating over concrete slab; we refinished (!) to match kitchen floor - two coats of Special Walnut - or was it Dark Walnut?

Switchplates/Outlets: Lutron Diva and Maestro

We purchased almost everything from online retailers, including FaucetDirect, Galaxy Tool, Mod Lines by Design, Arcadian Lighting, etc.

Likes and Dislikes:

I love the big kitchen sink, but the bump-out design does mean that some water drips off the counter. Also, I have to be careful emptying the dishwasher - I've broken a dish against the bumped-out part of the granite. But I love the Delta faucet and the push-button for the disposal.

I'm very happy with the hot/cold water dispenser; I didn't want a water dispenser in the fridge because I find that the water starts to taste funny after a while, and I don't really use ice.

The french door fridge is generally terrific, but there's a weird shelf on the upper right side that can either be a full shelf or a half shelf, and neither way gives enough space for bottles of milk, juice, etc.

The placement of the fridge (which we thought about long and hard, given the limitations of the renovation) is the best possible spot - but we have to be careful not to close the dishwasher while the left door is open. Doesn't happen often, but we have to think about it sometimes.

I like the overall layout of the kitchen, but I was limited because: we didn't bump out - just repurposed the space, and I wanted the view from the kitchen into the dining room with the bay window (which faces South) and I wanted a giant island that doubled as a kitchen table. It's a rather long walk from the sink to the cooktop and ovens, but I felt it was a necessary trade-off. In retrospect, I might have put a small prep/wash sink to the far left of the cooktop, so it would have doubled as a work space for cooking and a bar area for entertaining. I keep thinking about doing it eventually, but I'm not sure it's a real possibility.

I like having the desk in the kitchen, but I still haven't organized it well, and sometimes I think I should have made it much smaller and used the extra space for additional counter space - maybe for a bar or a baking area.

I don't have a separate microwave and, although I love my Advantium, I sometimes wish I had two wall ovens plus a microwave...

I like the cooktop, but it's much harder to keep clean than I expected (and my Mom has one, so I thought I knew...). Maybe one day I'll switch to gas... I can't believe I'm thinking of renovating after renovating - it's a sickness, but I think many of you can relate:)

The GE Monogram hood rocks - at full power, it's very loud, but it could suck up a small child and it really gets any cooking smells out quickly.

I love my Jet Mist granite and my White Fantasy Quartzite. They really decided everything for the kitchen - originally, I was going to have glazed creamy white cabinets and a brown granite (I can't remember the name -something like blue eyes, I think) - but then I saw the White Fantasy and I fell in love.

I love having the wood floor, and I love the color, but it does show light-colored dirt and dust. Oh well, there's nothing perfect in kitchen design (although it sure looks that way in magazines.)

One of my favorite things in the kitchen (which is hard to see from my photos) are the apothecary jars and Anchor Hocking candy jars filled with - candy! My kids' friends call it the candy kitchen and they love to sugar up before going home (sorry, parents!)

There are wood shelves in the glass-front upper cabinets by the dining room now, but I'm going to replace them with glass so that all of the cabinet shelves light up (there are lights now, but they only shine on the top shelves) - a nice feature for nighttime and parties (which we hope to have at some point...)

Hmmm... I'm sure there more, but if you have any questions, please ask.

We started in December, 2008, so it's been a long haul (and some finishing work is still being done, believe it or not). I'm only posting the renovation photos now; I'll post the pre-renovation photos soon - it's quite a contrast.

Although it's not perfect, we really love it, especially the island (7' X 4' - great for buffets, folding laundry, eating meals, baking - and just staring at the quartzite, which makes me ridiculously happy)and how bright and spacious it is. It was definitely necessary (we were at the nothing works, cabinet doors are falling off, floor is peeling stage) and worth it - so hang in there.

Here are the photos:

The last photo is our re-done family room. The wall with the fireplace used to be all brick, without windows. It was like a cave. Our contractor dry-walled over the brick and put in windows and a window seat, and put up the stacked slate firplace surround. We also took out the carpet and put down engineered wood floors (over concrete slab). The light coming in (the windows face East) is wonderful. I love having wood floors (we extended them into the new tv room and the foyer), but our poor dog - a schnoodle - slides across it because she can't grip anything to slow her down. Anyway, now all we need is furniture (we're calling it the ballroom for now)!

We also re-did our downstairs bathroom, and I'll post that on the bathroom forum soon, and we finished the sunporch (really a rain porch) and turned it into the tv room, which is off the family room. I'll post the pre- and post-renovation photos of those, too.

Thanks again to everyone on gardenweb for your support, great ideas, sharing your time and resources, and especially for your sense of humor - much needed during renovation:) And thanks for letting me blather on about the renovation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Renovation

Comments (39)

• clkw
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your kitchen looks great. I love your island countertop!! Everything looks bright and cheery which I love.
    I'm doing a white kitchen in about 6 months, so I will be at the tail end of the trend.. that means you are safe ;)
    Looking forward to seeing your next pictures. (oh, be sure to mention your post has pics in the title so everyone knows to come look and lust after your great remodel)

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely and nicely pulled together. That Quatzite is stunning!

Thanks so much for sharing not just the details but the good and bad. This is so helpful (especially the tip about fridge next to DW).

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I'm in love with your quartzite! Beautiful simple lines to your cabinets... elegant and casual all at once. Love how you mixed the wood tones in with your white. Just beautiful... enjoy it!

• jolynna
    14 years ago

Hi somanychoices,

Your kitchen looks great which is very reassuring. The cabinets we've ordered are very similar to yours. Plus I'm also doing white subway tiles for a backspash. And this week we're going to Chicago to pick our jet mist granite slabs.

I love your kitchen. You've made me feel happier about my choices.

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

somanychoices -- how beautiful -- and yes, I am planning on stained birch and soapstone -- but plan on the same frig, faucet, and pulls -- I was afraid that the pulls would look toooo -- well, 1950s. I like them, but didn't know if they'd go with the door style (same as yours). Your kitchen looks sooo classy and smooth, I have no doubts now! Oh, and I'm planning on the same arched toekick molding as well. This is sooooo beautiful. Just like other posters, you make me feel so much more comfortable about my choices.

Excellent job! enjoy. And the candy jars made me laugh. My dad handed out candy to the neighborhood kids. It was his pleasure to send kids home with a chocolate stained face . . . .

• artemis78
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful---and your coat/shoe area is *exactly* what we're going for! What are its width and depth dimensions? (DH and I are debating how wide to make that area in our plan, and just wondered how it compares!)

• onelady1dog2girls
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and your choices timeless. I actually am finishing up my creamy kitchen also and believe it or not, we did a color match to the Wellborn Divinity. I like the color in the mid day light...it plays off my grey toned walls nicely. I also love your quartzite island. It's a very unique choice on this forum and look forward to your comments on how it compares in the upkeep dept with your granite. It's just really classic looking. Other q's: who did your slip covers? I have 2 toddlers and wonder if we should do the same? Are they machine washable?
    Any hints on things you would put in the laundry area? We are getting ready to configure cabinets and will probably match the kitchen cabs.
    Finally, I wanted to ask you why you went with that particular color and brand of subway - was it color, quality, etc? I've never seen that sister brand of sonoma but have certainly looked at enough sonoma tiles. I was probably going to pull the trigger on the Rixi Crema, but would like to hear your experiences. Thanks for sharing.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

Really, really, really nice job. Love the mix of cabs and counters. The white fantasy is beautiful. The Hunter Douglas woven wood blinds look great. But I LOVE the fabric you picked for the parsons chairs. It's the perfect amount of pattern. Congratulations on a job well done!!

• susanne283
    14 years ago

Beautiful...! I loved seeing the blue you put on your walls. We jut bought a home with a kitchen with almost exactly the same color scheme as yours, and I am dying to paint it blue! I was thinking a bit darker than the one you chose, but yours looks absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Beautiful job! I know you must be enjoying it immensely.

I didn't see the Lutron switch plates in any pictures; don't need to see them up close, but would love to see one or two shots in context if you have a chance.

Is the DR painted with Smoke also? It's reading very blue, but I know how monitor color goes. I'll have to look at my paint chip of Smoke (if I can find it) to see if it looks that blue. Either way, it looks great with those wonderful chairs!

I agree with lisa_a, it is so helpful to hear what you might have done differently. Thank you for sharing with us!

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

Love, Love, Love it! This is one of those kitchens that answers so many of the questions that I've been having - how would that look? It is beautiful.

Really though it just isn't right sending the neighborhood kids home sugared up!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

One of those island countertops I would be tempted to lay on if it were mine... It's GORGEOUS. Really nice kitchen that will stand the test of time, so don't worry! Also love the laundry, locker area, and the new fireplace wall. Wonderful.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love your quartzite, pendants, fabric on the dining room chairs. A real inspiration, well done, enjoy!

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

yes...i can stand it! very gorgeous.

can you tell me what height your ceilings are at? thanks and enjoy!

• heart-of-dixie
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

• abananie
    14 years ago

Yes, I can too!

Love your kitchen, just beautiful. I hope white kitchens never go out of style. I just love them. Enjoy!!

• busybme
    14 years ago

somanychoices, it all looks beautiful! You must be so relieved to be at the end of the road (spoken from a fellow 12+ month renovator).

Congratulations!

Sandy

• lmcal
    14 years ago

All of your rooms are beautiful and I LOVE your pendant lights! Enjoy your lovely kitchen :)

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

So pretty! I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely!

• katsmah
    14 years ago

Beautifully done!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I think it's beautiful! I love white kitchens and I don't care if it's a recent fad or not, I have always wanted one. You did a great job with so many of the details: the pendants, the fabric on the chairs, the family room fireplace! All gorgeous.

I wish I could see a closer pic of the quartzite. I have six slabs sitting with my fabricator right now (the granite yard I bought from calls it "White Princess") and I would love to see it a bit more clearly.

Also, your pulls--they look great but would love a detail of those if you get the chance! Hooray for your finished kitchen!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Of course I can stand one more even a 1000 more creamy
    white kitchens.
    And yours is wonderful. I love every detail and I can
    see you must be excited to enjoy it. The dark island,
    the stools, the backsplash, wow the floors are perfect
    and of course your window treatments. Excellent.

~boxerpups

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

Beautiful! You made wonderful choices in material and design. Would you consider posting a larger close-up shot of the quartzite on the island? It looks really beautiful and I would love to see a close-up. Thanks very much for sharing!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Truly gorgeous! Who ever gets tired of seeing a beautiful kitchen, no matter what the color?!

Kat :)

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

It's just lovely - I never tire of creamy white kitchens. They're classic and timeless!

• somanychoices
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Everyone -

Wow, you are all so sweet (no surprise) that I want to cry. (Cue the Hallmark commercial music...). I was greatly inspired by many kitchens on this website, so I'm glad if my thoughts/pics help anyone.

OK, on to the questions/comments:
    I will try to get a close-up of the quartzite and granite. I am a terrible photographer - except for two perfect photos of my kids that I will treasure forever: - and the light coming from the overheads and pendants and the windows kept showing up as a glare. But I will try again - my kids can probably do a lot better, LOL.
    Along the same vein, I'll try to get close-ups of the Lutron dimmers and the pendants and the door knobs. (By the way, I just had a thought that, in case my pics don't turn out well, you can probably find product photos online at Lutron, Hudson Valley Lighting and Hickory Hardware.)

The Dining Room is painted Smoke, like the kitchen. It's the kind of color that looks very blue sometimes, and more grey-blue at other times, depending on the lighting. Sometimes I think it's too blue, but overall, I like it - it feels happy.

As for the mud room (and boy is it muddy now with all the snow we've been getting...), the room is approx. 8 1/2' x 6 1/2'feet. The bench is around 4 feet wide and 20 inches deep. The two tall cabinets (which are actually two upper cabinets over two tall lower cabinets) are 2' wide. The ceilings throughout my house are supposedly 8 feet, but there are some dips, so we avoid inviting tall people over:)

I chose the backsplash tile because I saw something similar in someone's gorgeous kitchen on Gardenweb (I can't remember the person's name, but I think the tiles were Sonoma Krazy Krackle. I originally chose a similar tile by another manufacturer, but I had problems getting in touch with the sales rep at the tile store, so I ended up going elsewhere, well into the project, and this was the closest match I could find. I have never heard of California Tile either, but I just found the tile box downstairs and it's marked Sonoma Tile. So, I guess it's really just Sonoma Tile. Anyway, although it cost more than the original tile (of course), the tiles are beautiful and thick, so it all ended fine - phew!

As for sugaring up the kids, they do play a lot of it off here, I can assure you (which is why my kids play mostly in the basement, flinging couch cushions around and bopping each other with nerf blasters, etc.:) But maybe I should have them do a few laps around the block before pick-up time...

The chairs are from Ballard Designs and the fabric is made from Sunbrella indoor/outdoor fabric (it's called Arden Black). That means it's pretty indestructible - but I have to admit, I haven't really tested it as we mostly eat in the kitchen. Still, I have two boys, ages 12 and 8, and they have sat and eaten on the chairs, and the chairs still look brand new. They can't be machine washed, but liquids bead up and roll off for the most part, and I've used a sponge to wipe them off.

More later!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i think it's wonderful - not even seeing your old one! you have tons of counter space and cabinet space - yeah!

will check back for other pics posted. i was wondering about the switch plates also... and how do you like your KA dw?

btw - those mag kitchens aren't perfect by any means - lol! I don't think real people use most of those magazine kitchens!

• amberley
    14 years ago

My favorite part is the desk area framed by the cabinets! I think that is lovely, and now may have to add that to my own list....

Great job. Love the family room makeover too!

Amy

• somanychoices
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Again -

First, I do like my KitchenAid dishwasher - especially the cool blue lights. It works well, even though I'm afraid to put in truly dirty dishes! I can't recall which model it is, but I can look it up if you want the info.

Second, Etc. - Here are the photos I promised:
    More photos of White Fantasy Quartzite than you probably wanted (Is it wrong to be obsessed with this countertop?):

Photos of Lutron Switchplates and Dimmers (I forget the color, but the line is Diva and Maestro - and I got samples and placed them against my backsplash to see if they matched. They did, perfectly - yay!) OK, I also included more photos of candy, because I'm also obsessed with that. Note that the kids are not allowed to touch the apothecary jars, but the penny candy jars are all theirs. Yes, I do laugh at myself:: I think the photo with the apothecary jars shows a good sample of the jet mist granite, too:

Here are photos of the pendant lights and the Hickory Hardware American Diner pulls, knobs and cup pulls. They aren't great pics, unfortunately. The thing that ties the cabinet hardware, pendant lights and kitchen faucet/hot&cold water dispenser together are that they are all satin nickel and they all have "beading" - a row or two rows of banding - at the edges. I hope you can see that in the pics. I do occasionally catch my sweaters on the knobs and pulls, but as I haven't ruined anything yet, I don't mind:

I just realized you can click on the photos to go to my album, where you can see larger version of them, which may be helpful for details.

A few additional thoughts. I debated putting in the outlets on the horizontal, so they would blend in with the subway tile backsplash. Of course, as soon as I made up my mind, I went to tell my contractor, who was in the kitchen, installing the outlets upright. Oh, well. I can definitely live with it (although I had to work very hard to convince him to install the Lutron outlets/switchplates -he thought white was just fine. Silly man!)

Also, although I thought I had thought everything through, using the great advice from everyone here, I'm not happy with my silverware drawers. There aren't enough - really because they are very shallow. I think I should have figured out how to put in at least one or two deeper drawers so I could have put in two layers of silverware, knives, etc.

Also, I thought I was going to have three drawers underneath my cooktop, with the top drawer to be used for untensils. It turned out that I can't use the top drawer at all because of the depth of the cooktop. I'm not sure what I would have done differently, but I wish I could use that drawer!

Anyway, I think that's it for now, until I show you the "before" and the bathroom. Thanks again!

• gabbygirl_2001
    14 years ago

Wonderful kitchen. I love the window seat!

• somanychoices
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to answer a few questions.
    The White Fantasy Quartzite is holding up well, and I was worried at first. There are a few "etchings" or "scratches" (I thinkf from sliding plates across the island instead of picking them up to pass them), but I think it's like marble in that sense - you don't see it unless you're really looking for it. I'm very pleased with it so far.
    As for the laundry room, I'm a bit embarassed to say that I have next to nothing in the cabinets above the washer and dryer! That will probably change, but for now, there's just detergent and dryer sheets... In the tall cabinets, I have dog stuff - food, treats, leashes, a towel for muddy paws - on one side, and I have mops, brooms, dustpans, swiffers, etc. on the other side (where there is an outlet). I think I really could have done one big tall closet, b/c I need more space for the cleaning equipment, but I think I can reconfigure the space so it works out. I also have extra cleaning supplies above that cabinet, and below the sink. More than enough room for everything.

• sochi
    14 years ago

somanychoices - did you / do you treat your quartzite with anything to protect it? If so, what do you use? How often?

Thanks!

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

Thank you very much for posting more detailed pictures of your White Fantasy quartzite. It is stunning!

I also am curious if you sealed your quartzite. And sounds like scratching/etching may be an issue, but how is it with stains?

• somanychoices
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My pleasure. The quartzite was sealed, but I don't know what the installer used - nothing unique. My contractor recommended that I re-seal it in about three years. I don't have any staining - although I do wipe things up pretty quickly. I think I overstated the etching/scratching - it's really minor, and I may be the only one who sees it, and I have to really look from a certain angle. I was very concerned about etching/staining, but my I haven't had any problems so far. I still love it.

• somanychoices
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I keep thinking about having a small prep sink near my cooktop. My kitchen designer talked me out of it, and of course, my kitchen is finished, but I wonder if it's possible to retro-fit a prep sink into a granite counter with cabinets below (I'm thinking to the far left of the cooktop). It's probably an insane fantasy, but I can't stop thinking about it.
    Do you think this is possible without completely destroying everything?

• ptyles
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! I am very interested in your family room redo. We have a full wall of brick that we would like to cover along with a fireplace we would like to redo. The window seat - was that covered in brick and then recovered in sheet rock or is that brand new?

• somanychoices
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's exactly what we had - a full wall of brick with a brick "bench" that ran the length of that wall, and no windows. So, most of the wall was covered with sheet rock, we had windows put in, the brick "bench" was covered with sheetrock and wood to make a "window seat" and we used stacked slate to create the fireplace surround. I'll try to post before photos this week. Good luck!

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

I was just happily revisiting this kitchen. Great choices...love the brushed aluminum chairs. Bump bump bump ;)