Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ikea toe-kick drawers (made by Ikea!)

Posted by unixisgoodforyou (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 17:46

Hi,

I was reading about people who make hack existing Ikea drawers to make their own Ikea toe kick drawers.

It looks like Ikea makes a 'RATIONELL Floor-level drawer, silver-colour'. Google found it on the Ikea UK web site.

Can you buy this in North America?
RWW

Here is a link that might be useful: RATIONELL Floor-level drawer, silver-colour

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ikea toe-kick drawers (made by Ikea!)

I found this on Rockler yesterday. I thought these had potential for toe kicks. We've bought a few things from Rockler, like them very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: floor mount slides

o

No, unfortunately you can't use those Rationell drawers in the US, at least not very easily, hence the hack. The Faktum system they use in Europe has toekicks that are closer to 6" high, while the Akurum system here is designed for toekicks at the standard US height of ~4".

o

Ikea US does sell a 24" wide undercounter cabinet with a 5 or 6" tall drawer at the bottom, good for placing either a 24"/60cm oven or a single-drawer dishwasher above it

o

And here's how you can turn the toekick into a drawer using US Rationell parts. (I love that there are several entire websites devoted to hacking Ikea cabinets and furniture!)

o

Hey, that's me! :-) Ikeahackers.com and Lifehacker.com picked up the tutorial I wrote for my blog. What a strange feeling to run across people referring to my work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here