Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparky16_gw

Mother of pearl tile backsplash

sparky16
11 years ago

Hello there...it's my first time posting. My husband and I are going to be tiling our backsplash ourselves. We have a beautiful white mother of pearl tile. What should we use to adhere it to our walls? Most sites I've looked at just say to use a modified thinset, but my husband's concern is that the tile is sooooo thin. How do you keep the thinset from squeezing out between the tiles? Do you just use a really small trowel? Any help or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Comments (55)

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

We're doing a very thin MOP 1x1 mosiac tile as well, but we're having our regular tile guy install it. I showed it to him to make sure the thickness wouldn't be a problem and he said it would be fine, but I know he said that we definitely have to use a white thinset, so that's all I can be helpful with. Please do show pictures though.

This post was edited by wi-sailorgirl on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 12:12

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sanjuangirl...thanks for the pics. I'll try to upload some of ours once we're done.

Luckymom...thanks for the info on the thinset, I'll look into it. We haven't decided on a grout color yet. I do remember reading (on here?) that someone said the same thing about the white grout 'washing out' the tile. I think they tinted some grout and regrouted it. I definitely don't want to grout twice, so I'll keep that in mind and choose carefully ;)
    Let me know what you go with.

Thanks all for the help and info...I'll keep you 'posted' on progress.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Best is to avoid grout!

You can get groutless tiles. With MoP this looks really nice. You dont get the squeeze out and the nastiness of grout later on.

Here is a link that might be useful: MoP

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Use the type of thinset or adhesive recommended by the tile manufacturer. Yes, adhesive will squeeze up between the tiles; when you set them, you slide or twist the tiles or sheets a little (a very little if in sheets) to settle it in and make sure it adheres. No biggie if the adhesive comes up -- just wipe the tile with a solvent-soaked rag as you go to clean up (use the solvent recommended by the adhesive manufacturer). There are lots of good how-to guides for installing tile online -- it's helpful to see tricks like how to use spacers, how hard to tap the tiles with a mallet, how to trim sheet tile for outlets and "weave" sheets together, etc. For delicate tiles like this, you may want to forego a mallet and just wrap a 12"-15" square scrap of plywood with some foam, and press gently instead of tapping. From our first DIY tile job, here's my two main learnings: Don't skimp on the thinset/adhesive (had to go back and chip out tiles that were wobbly), and don't forget to seal the grout. We got lazy and didn't get around to sealing, and yes, unsealed grout stains if oily stuff gets on it. Good luck and have fun! Tile is a really satisfying DIY.

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We've tiled before. We did our bathroom with porcelain tiles and Pebble tiles. We are both really happy with the way it came out. I guess my main question was if there were any tips or tricks people knew of when working with really thin tiles.
    Pharaoh...thanks for the thought, but we already bought our tile and it needs grout. It's a whit mini brick similar to the photos above.

• luckymom
    11 years ago

I've got a urethane grout on order. Sort of a grey/beige color. Should have been in this week, but like most other things, it's late... Hardest part was finding unsanded that wouldn't need sealing. I read somewhere I can't name on GW about someone who was installing the MOP tile and she was told to seal the TILE before the grout was installed. I think we're going to see what the tile guy says, but I'm tempted to do it at least behind the stove. I forget what it's called, but they sell it at the orange big box store and it's for stone.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

About sealing ... I have a sample sheet of our MOP mosiac tile for the backsplash and after reading something about sealing before installation, I sealed half of it with the 511 impregnator sealer as a test. That all went fine ... there was no color changes or anything, but then I proceeded to abuse the tile: wine, spaghetti sauce, grease, etc., and I noticed no difference whatsoever in how the tile behaved between the sealed tiles and the ones that weren't sealed. Stil not sure what I'm going to do but I guess I'd lean towards sealing to put in in the "it can't hurt" department.

• luckymom
    11 years ago

Yes, that's it, 511- the tile store where I ordered the grout had all sorts of 511 products, but not the impregnator. Like sailorgirl said, I'm going with better to at least try than do nothing theory (also why I've spent a small fortune on grout and paying a pro to install it). The fact I've read MOP reacts with carbonated beverages makes me want it sealed -sloppy soda drinking family. I find soda splashes everywhere. Took 25 years but at least I've broke DH of that habit, but the kids & grands....

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

I should add, I have no idea if that was the right sealer to use, it's just what we had in the house. I didn't know that about carbonated beverages. I'll add that one to my test.

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we did it! Here's a couple of photos of our new backsplash. We haven't grouted yet, but I already love it!!
    Thanks for all your help.

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we did it! Here's a couple of photos of our new backsplash. We haven't grouted yet, but I already love it!!

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

We were going to use MOP over the vanity in our MB, but then we saw the White Thassos mosaic tile we ended up using instead. Still love MOP. It looks fabulous in your kitchen! Can't wait to see it grouted and see your finished kitchen pics!

• msrose
    11 years ago

Looks gorgeous!

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Wowza! Great effect. Room jewelry.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Soo awesomely beautiful! Where did you find yours?

I'm looking at MOP diamonds from a local stone dealer, very $$$. Just found it on Amazon for $9 dollars less a square foot, but I'm afraid to order it without seeing it. I need 55 sq ft.

Congratulations on a beautiful backsplash!

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sanjuangirl...we found it at glass tile store. I don't remember them having diamonds, but they have sheets of 1" squares you could turn on it's side :)
    Their samples are pretty reasonable, too.
    Thanks! I find myself just standing in the kitchen and staring at it wide-eyed.

• luckymom
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! Mines still sitting in it's box, but the grout came in. DH hasn't had a day to finish up the UCL- we've had Dr appt like crazy- between us and the dogs. Fingers crossed, today it'll get done.

What color grout are you using?

• HomeNoobie
    11 years ago

THIS IS EXACTLY what I'm looking for! But i'm in Canada, and most online retailers won't ship to me :( Does anyone know of an online retailer that will ship to Canada? I'm looking for the mini-subway tiles. The store I visited here is charging $40/sqft uninstalled :( (sorry to thread hijack).

Your kitchen looks stunning with the new backsplash in! Amazing job - I'm so impressed that you did it yourself!

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

So there were lots of questions about grout in this thread and I just learned something that may be of some help. The attached image is of a kitchen that I fell in love with after seeing it in Coastal Living magazine. So I called the tile company that provided the tile for it so I could get the exact same time.

Anyway, while I was ordering the tile, I asked about sealing and grout. First of all, he said it would be a good idea to seal with an impregnating sealer (because "it never hurts"), but said to stay away from anything that had a color enhancer in it. He said if it was appropriate for marble or granite, it would be OK for MOP tile.

Then I asked about grout. He said the color used in the kitchen in the photo is Mapei's "Avalanche," which he described as a "brilliant white." He said the desired effect for that kitchen was to sort of unify it and make it look a little more blended in. In other installations of that tile he has had customers use a very light gray, which he said worked to really make the tile stand out and "pop."

Anyway ... thought that might help someone. Sparky, your backsplash is looking great (even if I did have to stand on my head to look at the first picture :)).

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

sparky, do you have under cabinet lights? If so, how does it look with them on? Does it go flat?

Thanks

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lucky mom...we picked a bone colored grout. Hoping it won't wash out the tiles. Looked ok in the store with the little grout color chip. We'll see.

Beekeeperswife...no, no under cabinet lights. We get alot of reflection on BS behind stove from the window across kitchen. As you can see in large BS picture it isn't quite as shiny, but still LOVE it!

I'll post more pics after grout.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Looking forward to your grouted photos. Would love to see yours too Sailorgirl!

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is. All grouted and done. We used a bone colored grout and I don't think the tiles look too "washed out". Really happy with it!
    Thanks everyone for all your help and input!

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is. All grouted and done. We used a bone colored grout and I don't think the tiles look too "washed out". Really happy with it!

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Not washed out at all. I think it looks fantastic!

Quick question for you: Were your tiles a little pitted on the surface? I just got our tile in and was a little surprised to see small pits in many of them. I'm wondering if that's just the nature of MOP tile. It's nothing you'd notice unless you were really examining them and I don't think they are deep enough for grout to get stuck in but I was curious if that's normal.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Thanks for putting pictures up! The grout made it even more lovely. It's really really beautiful and makes me really really want MOP! Your kitchen looks Sparkly and oh so lovely, Ohhhh la la!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Spectacular!!!!

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

gorgeous, does anyone know if online sources that carry this or local store in the Baltimore Washington area?

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Sanjuangirl, I can't find the diamond MOP tiles on Amazon, can you link or post what they are called? I tried searching for many descriptions and can't find them. I have a sample from builderelements.com, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere else to compare prices.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Hi Williamsem

I found hexagons on Amazon. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Tile-Hexagons-Backsplash-Bathroom/dp/B0071FFPR0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_8

I also found diamond shaped white onyx.

http://www.amazon.com/DIAMOND-Polished-Mosaics-Bathroom-Backsplash/dp/B002LE0YJ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362446685&sr=8-3&keywords=white+onyx+tile

I was using the square tiles on a diagonal to get the diamond shape with the MOP.

Sorry that I don't know how to post these as photos. :(

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Sparky Your backsplash is beautiful and I agree with the poster who said it's like jewelry! Can't wait to see more pics. Can you back up and give us a wider view of the backsplash in context? So pretty.

And sailorgirl, WOW that inspiration picture is something else. Can't wait to see yours also. I think we'll need a new thread for all of you using MOP.

I'm wondering how fragile it is. Would it survive getting knocked by a pot of full can?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Sparky - nice name with the sparkly tile!
    Great job on tiling your kitchen and it looks sharp!
    Welcome to the ABB alumni club!

• sparky16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another photo.
    Island...It's hard to back up too much, it's a galley kitchen and my iPad doesn't want to shrink the field of view any smaller :)

Scrappy25...we got ours online at Glasstilestore.com

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

I love the hexagonal MOP tiles!

• ekling211
    11 years ago

I grouted it with the white grout. Since there's no sink/water there I made a very thin runny grout. Not a great pic but it does look really iridescent still with the white.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Love it with the white grout! Great job.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

ooh-ahhh!!!

• kam76
    10 years ago

Just beautiful! Ekling211 are they circle or hexagon? They look like circles to me. Love both these backsplashes. How are they holding up as far as cleaning etc?

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Ekling so pretty. Are they penny rounds? Can't wait to see your's and sparky's final reveal pics.

• TudorCity
    10 years ago

sparky16, it's so beautiful, and just what I was hoping to do in my kitchen -- I came across these tiles over the weekend and I'm in love!!!

Would you mind sharing exactly what thinset, grout and sealer you used (color, name brand, etc.)? I have read a few threads on here saying that some of the products they used "dulled" the shine of the MOP, so I want to be sure I get exactly the right stuff!

Thanks in advance for the help!

• tatwhit
    10 years ago

Can anybody tell me how easy these are to cut, do I need special equipment, is it hard to get an even cut? Does cutting make the effect less even? I am debating about square tiles or subway tiles - I prefer subway, but wonder if square would be easier.

• Tilecircle.com
    10 years ago

Hello! I'm happy I just stumbled upon this post. Most of the pictures above are of our tile :).

You can use a wet saw or tile clippers to cut the tiles. If you are planning on installing the tiles yourself and have never installed them before, we would recommend the squares as there is usually less that will need to be cut.

As always, feel free to let us know if you have any questions. Below is a link to our installation guidelines.

Thanks!
    tilecircle.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother of Pearl Installation Guide

• kristenpate
    8 years ago

How did any of you decided to do edging with the MOP tile? I took a sheet of ours to a tile shop and Home Depot and all said it's too thin/delicate to use traditional edging. Would love insight on how to finish off edges where they don't intersect a wall. Thanks!!

• sanjuangirl
    8 years ago
    I used Calcutta Marble for the edges ar
    T the top and on the sides. It blends perfectly I think.

Good luck!
  • kristenpate
    8 years ago

Great, thanks!

• sandragg
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am shopping for short finger tile to use as an accent strip in my small bathroom..it will run around the walls at chair rail height and around the tub, back the niche then back out..the tiles are glass, marble and MOP on some kind of ceramic base. I was told by different sales people there was no need to seal...but others say the marble should be sealed...I am concerned that using it in the tub/shower..and using a squeegie on the wall where it will run over the MOP numerous times will loosen the shell from the base tile...also hard water spots might be a problem and I am concerned to use any acid based cleaner on it...should I look for a tile without marble or shells in it? I don't want to have to maintain the accent tile

• goodiesforus
    7 years ago

I came across this very helpful discussion while searching for information for MOP tiles installation-Thank you! Do you mind sharing names of the thinset, grout and sealer used for your installation? Did they affect the shine of your tiles?