Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocjeff

Flush-mount apron/farmers sink - REVIVED

OCJeff
13 years ago

I don't know why, but I cannot reply to this thread. Please see my reply below:

Curious if anyone regrets this sort of sink mount option.

We are looking at this, but I don't want to make the wrong choice. Does this have any additional maintenance, from leaks, or re-sealing?

The only reason I'm considering this is because with a mitered edge, this is the only way to do it, unless the sink is pushed back inside of the edge, but that will cut into the space for the faucet. The sink is already 21.25" deep, so there isn't much room as is. Pulling it out 1.5" to be flush with the counter helps make space for the faucet and plumbing.

-OCJeff

Images as part of this discussion:

This is a link to the original thread...

Comments (8)

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

No issues after 4 years! I was ready to redo the silicone seal every year but it has been 4!
    I installed the sink 1/16" lower than the counter so that you can easily sweep crumbs into the sink.
    If you are in LA, you are welcome to come see it personally. Make sure your cabinet maker has the sink and your plans.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I just did it but my water wont' be hooked up till tomorrow.

• OCJeff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any new pictures folks wish to share?

pharaoh - I'm actually in south OC, so not too far but "LA" is a big place. Where in LA are you? Cabinets are custom made, but I have the final call on the supporting 36" under cabinet size, so they will build it any height I request.

chrisfoster - yes, we are going for a contemporary look, with quartz counter tops, and dark colored cabinets with tumbled marble backsplash with small glass tiles for accents.

This is the mount that is very much like what we are planning on:

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I am close to glendale.

The counters are butted up against the sink. The minimal gap is then carefully siliconed.
    I am so glad that there are sinks available for flush mounting. never liked over mount or undermounted sinks.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

We might do granite tile, the sink has been a sticking point. This may be the answer for us.

Pharaoh, stuff doesn't collect at the gap?

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

debrak, no, there is no gap or maybe 1/32".

The reason to silicone is that the granite edge and the sink both have a minuscule radius. You need to fill that with silicone so that there is no room for stuff to collect.
    With granite tile, this is the perfect way to go. The look is very modern, very clean and fuss-free.

You can see the bead of silicone in the close up. Use masking tape to protect the stainless steel and the stone.

• andreas_project
    12 years ago

Has anyone done a fireclay apron front sink this way? Or at least seen any pictures of it? Or are the edges of the sink just too wobbly? I could see that with a Shaws, but I'm thinking of getting a Franke one, which has much straighter lines. Says it can be up, under, or flush-mounted, but can only find pictures of up and undermount.