Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

**They're here--the samples have arrived! Bill V look too!

beekeeperswife
14 years ago

The samples are here! Oh yeah! They are really nice. I must comment though that in the photo it must be an optical illusion because I thought they went "up" at the edge, but actually they go "down". I like my samples, but is it an illusion or is it a different tile?

{{!gwi}}

I am 99.9% sure I'm going with white, the ivory is too creamy. So, no voting on the color and messing with my mind.

Bill, after you see the samples, can you comment if I am to follow plan as give the other night? Thanks.

I will have to nip off the top of the tiles right under the cabinet, but you will see almost 3 full tiles high. Bill--any hints to success?

I am wondering how to end above the range. If I go to the ceiling, I will make it flat, but if I stop right below the crown moulding, I could choose to go flat (using their end 1/2 pieces) or go pointy and don't put those finished 1/2 pieces in. Would that look odd?

Corgimum? You in the mood to photoshop that?

I am going to order enough to go to the ceiling, but I will decide if I want to stop it lower after I have the tiles here and can look at them. It's not much more square footage to order.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And to give you perspective on the size,

{{!gwi}}

PS--Don't you love duct tape? I could just duct tape up the whole thing!

Comments (43)

• prill
    14 years ago

Look at those in real life!! Are they on a sheet, or all single? I guess they're bigger than I imagined from the pictures. Really pretty. Hey, keep duct taping and we can get the full effect.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

That is nice tile! I'm psyched for you. Definitely white-but what about a few cross-hatched diagonals of beige? May be too busy but more fun to think about them and discount them later than not to have thought about them at all.

Sweeby's backsplash was recently posted-the framed/molding or whatever it's called that's running at the top and side of her subways might be a good way to edge your field. Sweeby's is all the way at the bottom of the linked post.

Here is a link that might be useful: finished edge to backsplash

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

prill--they are individual tiles. These are the only 2 I received. I need to choose my color and tell them how many 1/2tiles I need.

riverspots-these tiles do come with "end" pieces. I was just playing with the idea of not using any and going with the points only, contrasting against the wall color. Just an odd idea.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Oh, they're so pretty! I love your kitchen and it is not even finished yet.

• amberley
    14 years ago

Are those really the same tiles? The first one looks like it has a relief outline, which the duct taped one doesn't? I like the design either way- I didn't get a chance to post on your earlier thread as my computer was acting goofy, but I was going to vote for that one. I really don't think that it is the same tile though.

• keptoz
    14 years ago

I love them - so pretty!!

• jb1176
    14 years ago

They are absolutely beautiful tile. However, I wonder how difficult they will be to install. To keep them absolutely vertical and not have some drift off plumb would seem to me to be a challenge. Perhaps here's where a good tile setter is recommended.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Those are gorgeous, but they're definitely not the same tile as the ones in your earlier thread. The ones you originally showed were a single square tile with the design (much smaller) patterned in relief and glazed. These are much larger and each shaped like the arabesque with bevels on the edges.

Both are super cool (and I think either will be absolutely smashing in your kitchen, perhaps the earlier version a tad more) but you might want to verify that they sent you the correct product samples?

What you pictured earlier (detail closeup):

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

circuspeanut--thanks--that's what I was saying. So it wasn't an optical illusion...

I like the ones they sent, but they are not the ones I thought would be coming. I kept looking at the original picture and thinking, how can these be grouted if they are individual tiles?

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I think those are the same tiles. The light in the closeup is coming from the lower right, not the upper left. The grout lines are very thick.

• histokitch
    14 years ago

Not the same. Clearly. It's reversed from what you saw--grout shallow v grout pronounced, as if they are negative images. I like the white.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I think I'm confused. I was under the impression that the pic of the tile you originally posted was 1 square tile with multiple arabesques on it, not individual tiles. That being said, I prefer the individual tiles. I just wonder why they sent something different.

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

See, to me, that "sandy area" looks like -admittedly unclear - tile grout that matches the tile pretty well in terms of color. I guess I agree with Marcolo.

Love them. What's the source again?

• pirula
    14 years ago

I think they are the same too, marcolo is right.

They're lovely beekeeperswife. And I agree with you that the white is better.

• smiling
    14 years ago

Those are lovely tiles, but they really, really, don't look like the original images you posted. I think histokitch is right, that the designs are reversed. The raised edges in the original are now "sunken" edges in the grout lines, and the "sunken" center faces in the originial are now the raised portions. I like it either way, but I'm worried about the loss-to-breakage rate as you try to cut around switches, outlets, sills, and such. Is it possible to order extra tile and return leftovers? Happily, you can't go wrong with either color, and I agree that the white is nicest for your elegant kitchen!

• canobeans
    14 years ago

Hello, everyone -- new to the kitchens forum, not new to Garden Web, will do a proper intro soon of course but am impulsively jumping in!

Anyway... those are soooo pretty and unusual, I love them! They are definitely the same tile, though figuring out the optical illusion is harder than Where's Waldo -- but once you see it you can really tell. Looking at the closeup was the key, since you can see the grout lines (sandy area) -- even then it was hard to "re-see" the big pic, but that too is obvious once you see it.

And I vote for white!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Actually, they ARE the same. I took a copy of the top photo -- the one where they REALLY LOOK reverse-beveled, pasted it into Excel (any drawing program would work) then rotated it 180 degrees. The difference is astounding.

As for finishing touches, I think leaving the points showing would be too visually distracting. Your kitchen needs an elegant backdrop, not a WOW twist.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They ARE the same tile! You all are right who figured it out. It is like one of those pictures that you have stare at it and relax your eyes so you can see it...ha

Anyway, I did send an email to the contact/president of Mission Stone and Tile, expressing my happiness with the samples but conern it wasn't the same tile. She said we would talk tomorrow because she was tied up tonight, but not to worry, these are the same tiles, and when grouted, it will give this illusion.

Hey Bill--when you read this, I'm wondering, do you think I need 1/2 rounds for the bottom row against the granite? Or would just cutting the tile in half work and let the rough end sit on that caulk between the counter and tile?

malhgold-I know what you mean. At first I thought they were individual tiles, because I asked that when I won. But then I looked at the picture and I thought it was a 6 1/2" x 5 1/2" square with the smaller arabesques on it. But I did go back to Mission Stone & Tile, and they confirmed that they are individual tiles. So when they came today, I was a bit stumped since they don't appear to be the same, but now, the mystery of that has been solved. How's your search going? Did you see I verified that the website you asked about was indeed the one. You are a good searcher. Taking lessons from Boxer?

Sweeby--yeah forget the spikes, I can't do that! I think I'm going conservative on this one.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

To keep them absolutely vertical and not have some drift off plumb would seem to me to be a challenge.

Piece of cake. Just make a couple of plumb lines with a level.

Hey Bill--when you read this, I'm wondering, do you think I need 1/2 rounds for the bottom row against the granite? Or would just cutting the tile in half work and let the rough end sit on that caulk between the counter and tile?

I'd check the coursing first to make sure you don't end up with crappy cuts against the upper cabinets, but my first choice would be to rest the points and half tiles on the counter. And I'd be willing to bet these tiles were made with the intent of having a tight joint.

I like the bone color better. :-)

• doggonegardener
    14 years ago

They are the same. I checked the old post and original picture. Very lovely. Enjoy.

• seattle_rain
    14 years ago

That is such a gorgeous tile!!!! Very trippy about the optical illusion. I had to stare at it for a long time to see that it really was the same tile. I cannot wait to see it completed.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I like the bone color better."

No Voting.

Thanks for the info Bill. Without sounding like I'm trying to beat a dead horse, but are you saying you think we could cut the tiles for the bottom row ourselves (obviously with a tile cutter) or should I get the 1/2 tiles that they have? (Assuming they have the horizontal ones since they have the ones for the end--I'll find out tomorrow).

The back of the tile is white, maybe porcelin, says Mexico on the back, in case that helps.

Sorry to be so dense.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

So glad you liked the tile when you saw it in person. It really is beautiful.

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

I have been following this thread and your first thread. So happy that you won! Now I'm thinking that I like the bone/soft white better too! Sorry...but I can't remember, do you have true white elsewhere in your kitchen?

Yes, an optical illusion, and I just could not see it! So to help others who are challenged like me....this is the same picture rotated 180 degrees! Can't believe that I just can't see it in the original! Maybe it has something to do with the way the shadows fall?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks, mary_lu. My cabinets photograph very creamy but they are BM Cloud White. It's a warm white. The problem with the creamy tile is that it gets even creamier when under the cabinets with the lighting. I like the white one because it looks like a better match, especially with the lights--they warm it up a bit.

And like I reminded Bill-V--"no voting"! LOL With all my back splash struggles, I can't have any other thoughts in my head after I have reached a decision!! I'm just glad that I found the tile, or maybe it found me.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Repainting the walls will be challenging if you don't use end pieces.

• clkw
    14 years ago

I think they are gorgeous. I even like the white better!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

bkw,
    Those are gwaajus! simply GWAAJUS!

I am announcing the official end of 1" glass mosaics, 3" subways, and anything else that is square or rectangular :)

The time for more decorative, non square tiles has arrived !!!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

btw, even though there is no voting, the white is far superior :) Bone should be abolished.

• corgimum
    14 years ago

"I am wondering how to end above the range. If I go to the ceiling, I will make it flat, but if I stop right below the crown moulding, I could choose to go flat (using their end 1/2 pieces) or go pointy and don't put those finished 1/2 pieces in. Would that look odd?

Corgimum? You in the mood to photoshop that?"
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I tried but it looked bad because a lot of detail is lost when I decrease the size of the tile to place it in the kitchen photo. So, I photoshopped the tile in at what I think is actual size (approximately). If you want to print some off and use markers or colored pencils to eliminate the tiles above the cabinet that should show you what it would look like.

BTW, I luuurvvvee this tile. It will look spectacular in your kitchen!!

{{!gwi}}

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Corgimum! You are the best! Wouldn't it be awesome if the potfiller really does end up in the center of 4 tiles? I like that look!

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Love those! I was looking at the original picture the wrong way too - I thought the edges were up. I like them much more the way they really are. Also, I think it would be a huge pain to try to clean them if the edges were raised. So yay, they are gorgeous and more practical!

My vote would be flat edges where you end the line. Having the points stick up over the dark paint sounds interesting but I don't know how that would work with grouting, and it would also create a focal point where you don't necessarily want one.

That design is so awesome. It would be worth seeing if a tile pro could cut out the hole for the pot filler and also if he could fashion switch plates out of the tile so that you don't have to interrupt the design with a rectangular plate (if you have outlets or switches on that wall.)

• megpie77
    14 years ago

I just wanted to say those tiles are beautiful, and talk about an optical illusion-indeed. I can't wait to see it all finished. You have amazing style and a gorgeous kitchen, this tile is going to be the icing on the already yummy cake!

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Oh, wow, those are fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished backsplash!!

• cawaps
    14 years ago

The optical illusion is mind-bending. I looked at the first picture trying to see it the other way, but it wasn't until Marcolo identified the correct angle of the light that I could even see it.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Megpie--I have to say, I owe it all to you since you are the one who found them in the first place and suggested them. Thanks so much! And remember I was afraid of the shine? Although these are not matte, they aren't reflecting the lights like some glossy tiles do.

Thanks again!

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

I've got to tell you, the people at Mission are *incredibly* helpful and responsive. I sent a quote request for another tile this morning and I had a full quote back practically by return email!

• young-gardener
    14 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this! I was just drooling over those tiles on Mission's website earlier this week. I didn't realize they were individuals like that. I can't wait to see them installed!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

but are you saying you think we could cut the tiles for the bottom row ourselves (obviously with a tile cutter) or should I get the 1/2 tiles that they have?

Either or. But with the relief on the face of the tile, you won't cut those cleanly with a score and snap cutter. You'll need a wet saw for these to make nice clean cuts. I'd also suggest you go to Staples, Office Depot, or one of these office super stores, and go to the aisle where they have markers, and craft markers, and so forth, and look for something called "china markers". (grease pencils) They work real well in bright glazed surfaces that won';t take a pencil mark real well.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Hey Beekeeperswife!
    I was schnorfling around on a tile site someone had linked, and found a few photos of YOUR tile (or its doppelgänger) installed. Thought it might be a bit more inspiration. Arabesque by Busby Gilbert:

In the first 2 pics, you can see they solved the edge issue in a unique way, by following along the diagonal edge.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Circuspeanut! That is great! I think we are installing the tiles long side vertically. As far as our ends go, there are bullnose pieces available, so we will make straight line finishes. I'm glad to see this because I did think about doing something like they did above the door, but when I saw it in the photo, I thought that it wasn't finished.

I did like seeing them go to the ceiling in this photo, but then again, their cabinets go all the way up. We are going to end ours at the bottom of the crown, aka the top of the cabinet. If the bullnose pieces hadn't all broken when they were loading the skid, I might have my tile up by today! We are postponed now (due to schedules) until 3/26 weekend.

Thanks for this post.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    14 years ago

Oh how disappointing to have the bullnose tiles broken. We anxiously await the pictures of your finished tiling. It is going to be awesome. I think I would prefer the tiles vertically(as you are planning) vs the horizontal in the pictures circuspeanut posted too. Good luck.

• home_sweet_home
    13 years ago

I am getting the same exact tiles, in ivory, from Mission Stone Tile and I just wanted to ask you one thing: Is it easy to clean?