Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Four Stack Drawer Unit configuration

Posted by quiltgirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 17:34

With inset drawers, what are my choices for drawer sizes with a four stack drawer unit? I really want the top drawer for small things, spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. and the second drawer to be big enough to hold mixing bowls measuring five 1/2" high. My glides are on the bottom of the drawers. I do not want a three stack here because the horizontal lines will not line up with my other drawers beside it. Will it look odd to have the bottom two drawers smaller than the top two? If you have pictures of anything like this, please show me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Four Stack Drawer Unit configuration

If the utensils in the top drawer include ladles, you probably want the interior height to be at least 3 1/2 inches - possibly 4 depending on the ladle.

With our frameless drawers, we lose about 1 5/8 inch to the drawer bottom and the bottom glides so the drawer face has to be that much taller than the interior dimension we want.

Between the bottom of the counter and the top of the toe kick, you have about 29" to work with on standard cabinets. If the drawer bottom space is about the same and your frame is 1" thick, a 3.5" and 5.5" drawer interior leaves you about 8.5 of interior height to split between the other two drawers.

We have one case where the bottom drawer was narrower than the ones above it. It isn't the most usual way to go but I don't think it looks bad.

photo HPIM1123.jpg

You might want consider doing two thinish utensil drawers on top, then your mixing bowl drawer than a drawer with whatever space is left (which might be slightly shorter than the mixing bowl drawer but not so much shorter as to be very noticable) - that wouldn't drop your mixing bowls much lower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here