Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samana

Kitchen design - baking area

samana
12 years ago

Hello. Here is our kitchen layout. We still have a lot of decisions regarding appliances and cabinets, but right now I'm working on the island. I'm looking at two options.

1. The island would be 7.5' x 3'. On the left side would be 12" deep shelves for books, with a center section that will be open below (for pet dishes) and space for wine bottles above. On the right side would be a small prep sink and then some combination of drawers/cabinets.

2. The island would be 8' x 3'. The left side would essentially be the same. The right side would have a sink, perhaps refrigerator drawers (another forum) and drawers. Then I was thinking of putting in a baking center at the end, which would be a few inches lower in height with storage space below.

The second option requires us to upgrade our cabinets and go with Merillat Masterpiece instead of Merillat Classic.

I'd love to hear people's comments and suggestions, thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Where is the oven? If I'm figuring right, it seems the 'baking end' might be farthest away from the oven?

WOndering about things other than what you've asked, so feel free to ignore:
    Why is there a cabinet between the sink and dw? Might there be a way to move the sink down and get more space between stove and sink?

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

No, it won't require upgrading at all. Just use vanity height cabinets for the baking center instead of the custom height upgraded ones.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

A bit more to add..

I have never had part of an island lower than the rest, but this is my 2nd kitchen in which we had the whole island at 33" for better height for baking projects and prep tasks. I love it. In fact, in this kitchen, which we built from scratch, we have lowered counter height in 3 areas... I am just under 5'4" and my avid cooking/baking daughters are about the same. But the lowered heights aren't a problem for dh or our sons, ranging from 5'7" to 5'11", all of whom cook and bake on occasion.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Re 12" deep shelf for cokbooks: If space is tight, you don't have to make it quite that deep. Measure your cookbooks, you'll likely find that 9" will be ample.

HTH,

L.

• Linda
    12 years ago

Is the Merrilat Classic line the one with those metal runners on the SIDES of the drawers and without full-extension drawers? If that is the case, I would consider upgrading or changing for that factor alone.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I'm not clear as to the position of baking center.

Is the refrig in a good spot? Or should it go to the left-hand wall in your plan? Think about people leaving stools to walk through your cooking area while you work.

Agree that you can make book storage shallower. Go look hard at your cookbook collection. I'm planning one and I already know that although there are a few big books, most aren't and I shouldn't plan for a lip that catches all kinds of extra clutter along it.

I envy your pet feeding area on the peninsula. Clever! On our peninsula the dog dish would have put Drake the Lab right in the walkpath and all his slobbered mess right underfoot.

Consider moving your large sink toward the top of the picture. This gives you more usable space to left of the range.

We insulated the dishwasher niche to cut down the noise and vibration. You might want to do same--otherwise stool sitters might find dishwasher irritating. Look into E-Dead dense rubber adhesive accoustic insulation from a company in Iowa.

As for the wine storage just wanted to say that our cab maker makes wine storage for a liquor store. We had the little cubby hole style ones in our plans and he said that upright dividers are all that's necessary so skip horizontal ones. We can store two bottles high and 5 bottles across in our little area. (More wine is stored elsewhere under better conditions.) Above our wine are two shallow shelves.

By the way, be sure that wine is not stored in direct sun or over a heat vent.

• samana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the lower counter idea. I am about 5'4" but my husband is 6', so I'm glad to hear that a lower height is not a problem for taller people.

I believe the basic cabinet has the side runners, but we were going to upgrade to the deluxe Classic line that has dovetail drawers and full extension gliders. Thanks for mentioning that, though.

As for the space for pet dishes, that is thanks to the book by Susan Lang on designing your house. It's basically a book of checklists and I have found it hopeful.

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!