Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Which Rev-a-shelf 3' filler pull-out is most useful?

sue_ct
16 years ago

I have space for one rev-a-shelf 3" filler pullout behind the turn post next to my sink. Since the space is relatively small, it is also close to the main prep area I use and the stove. Here is the area:

Then there is an upper 3" filler but adding a pullout would mean cutting through the upper moldings here:

There are two Rev-a-shelf pullouts avialable in the 3" size for each space. For the lower cabinets:

or

For the upper cabinet, if it would look ok:

or

SO, if I get only one, in the base cabinet, which would you think would be more useful?

IF I get two, and go for cutting into the upper molding, how do you think it would look? I think the spice rack would be more useful for the upper, but then would you get another of the same one for the base, or go with the peg rack there?

Would you do either, or are they just not worth it in those spaces?

Sue

Comments (12)

• User
    16 years ago

If you can, find a measurement for the usable width of those shelves. You may find that you can only fit the old-style rectangular spice containers or special-order round containers. My pull-outs are 9" and have surprisingly little room. I really like the peg board pull outs. I see those being very useful. I wish I had seen those when I was designing my kitchen.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Are your cabinets already installed? It looks like it. Unfortunately, the filler pullouts are not installable after the fact, they must be installed at the same time the cabinets are installed.

At least, that's what the Rev-A-Shelf site says.

As to which one would be more useful...I don't know, I've been struggling with that as well. One disadvantage of the peg board is that the items are only accessible from one side. Also, the pegboards are more expensive...about $120 more each. B/c of these, I've been leaning toward the pullouts (2) for my 6" fillers (if that's how we ultimately fix the measuring error on the cooktop wall!)

Something to remember, these are filler pullouts, so you will be able to use the entire width of the area w/o having to accommodate face frames.

True, there may not be a lot of room in those 3 inches, but it's certainly better than plain filler!!!!

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a 9" pullout, also, although it is an in-cabinet pullout, and you do loose a lot of room. It does make the space left much more accessible, though.

The inside usable space dimensions would be very helpful. I have looked everywhere and not been able to find them. If anyone has the measurement, PLEASE post it. I am sure it would help a lot of people considering these pullouts.

I would want the upper spice pullout only for the small jars and rectangular tins, of which they make very few any more. So most would be the small round jars. I can keep my larger spices in the upper cabinet next to the pullout. The smaller ones tend to get lost though, and hard to find without emptying out the spice cabinet. I designed away my corner lazy susan that I used in my old kitchen that kept them relatively accessible, in favor of a glass front lighted cabinet. I measured my spices and the tins are 1 1/4 inches wide, the McCormick small glass jars are 1 1/2 inches and the McCormick small plastic jars are 1 3/4 inches wide. Small extracts are about 1 inch wide to 1 1/4 inch wide. So 1 3/4 inches are plenty to make it functional for me, since not all my spices would fit in the upper one anyway.

I love the idea of the peg board, but with no solution for my spices I am not sure if that would be most useful if I can only have one. On the other hand, I know I would rather not be bending down or kneeling on the floor to find the most frequently used ones. The peg board might let me get rid of the on the counter utensil holder, which would leave a nicer, cleaner and less clutter look. If I went with a lower spice pullout, it would probably just house the less frequently used items. Then I would keep just my favorites in the upper cabinet.

Anyway, I need to decide soon.

If anyone has the inside dimensions or can show how they were installed in an upper filler with wide moldings over it, it would be immensely helpful. Ordering them and returning them is not an option since there are steep restocking fees as well as shipping to pay. I would only get about 50% back if I had to return one.

Sue

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My cabinets ARE already installed, but no countertop, ect. I wonder why you couldn't just remove the filler, install the pullout and put it back?

Sue

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Sue,

As far as I know, these pieces are designed to be sandwiched between cabinets when the cabinets are installed. I think the filler pullout needs to be fastened to the cabinet sides. This would be tough to do after cabinets have been installed, since they are so narrow (can't get hands/tools in to back of cabinet).

I could be wrong, though.

I have purchased two of the 3" base cab pullouts with pegboard, and hope to install them in the ~5" space between wall and refrigerator.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read the installation instructions and they get fastened from the inside of the adjacent cabinets. It might be because the toe molding and countertop can't be installed yet, which mine aren't. Also, the sink is pulled out 3" so there is a little more space behind there. My Kitchen installer is young and has only been doing this a few years but was very against these fillers, fearing warantee issues. He would only install the in cabinet ones. I had the GC who did other work on my remodel look at the website and he agreed he could install them afterwards, he said he didn't think it would be a problem. He had never seen them before, though, and hasn't actually installed them before. He does have many more years of experience, though, doing a variety of additions and remodels, but maybe there is something about these that he is unaware of. So, if anyone has installed these in the past and knows definitely that they can or can't be installed after the cabinets are in place, but before the finish work is completed, please let me know.

Sue

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I asked Alku05, who has these, how much usable space there is b/w the railings in the linked thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Rev-A-Shelf Spice Racks for Fillers -- Have you seen these!!!!

• alku05
    16 years ago

I have two of the spice pullouts behind columns and just love them. They hold bottles up to 2.25" in diameter, and the shelves are fully adjustable.

Open:

Closed:

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awesome, thank you! 2.25 inches is more than enough to make them useful for me. Now I just have to be sure they can still be installed.

Sue

• Meryana Chaber
    2 years ago

Can the 3” pullout be installed against wall. i have a large 3” soace between fridge and wall.

• HU-727078151
    2 years ago

There require the solid walls between 2 cabinets, to attach. Any situation where one side is open, requires a 3/4” panel, at a minimum. So, no, they can not be installed against a wall with only 3” of room.

A wall always has to have a filler. You need a 1” minimum filler and a 3/4” panel, plus have the other side be a cabinet. Or else you'd need another 3/4” panel on that side too.

You would need at least a 6” space to do a $1000 (installed) PIA 3” filler pull out between a fridge and a wall. For almost no storage gain at all.

• Meryana Chaber
    2 years ago

Very halpful. Thank you.