Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help making cream cabinets look rustic

Posted by lucy0214 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 17:16

We are really wanting creamy painted cabinets. Our house is kind of woodsy rustic feel. My husband doesn't like the look of the glazed cabinets. I have already picked out the granite which is millenium cream (looks kind of like colonial cream) has taupe, cream, an some black in it. How can I make cream cabinets look "rustic"? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help making cream cabinets look rustic

Take them out back and run over them a time or two with a motorbike and then hit them with a chain and an icepick. Then barely clean them up and clear coat them.

o

What about cream cabinets that have some light distressing to them?

o

Wow thanks great idea! (Runs off to get gas for the motorbike)

o

I agree with sis2two that light distressing might add a more rustic appearance, especially if some of the wood underneath was visible. I would also suggest using a cabinet door style that is less formal/detailed. Additionally, perhaps you can make the cabinets look more rustic with your choice of hinges and hardware and other elements in the kitchen.

You say you've settled on cream cabinets and a cream granite. Did you select these options because you've seen kitchens you've liked that have this look? I ask because in general cream cabinets and cream granite don't really read very rustic to me. I think they could swing more rustic based on other choices in the space (such as flooring, backsplash, lighting, hardware), but typically when I think "woodsy rustic", I think of stained wood, stone, etc rather than cream paint and granite.

o

what about soapstone counters? I think soapstone has a more rustic look compared to many granites. Honed counters in general might an option to consider.

Otherwise, you might want to use your cabinet color elsewhere in your house so that the cream cabinets don't feel out of place (i.e. built-ins, some painted furniture etc).

Agree completely about choosing a simple door style and non-ornate hardware.

o

LWO, are you making fun of me?
Were you watching?
I put some boards out (poplar = soft) and ran over them with my neighbor's lawnmower. The tire impression was FASCINATING.

Unfortunately, although with that, the chain, the ice pick, the washers (for round distressing) and all kinds of other things I was playing with, the corner of the poplar broke.

I also recommend beating the crap out of them, then glazing. Sanding the edges helps, too, but try not to make your cabinets look like a leopard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here