Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shelf liner help!

Posted by belladom (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 17:15

I just found that the shelf liner I put in my new cabinets a year ago is sticking, and I am so upset. They are the white grip type found at Bed Bath and Beyond... I also used plastic clear ones which are ok so far, but am reading here to get the Cushy Cupboards or cork from Williams Sonoma as the plastic may eventually be a mess as well.

Any thoughts on how to repair my beautiful cupboards from this sticky stuff? And what to use now to avoid more problems in the future?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shelf liner help!

As someone else mentioned on another thread, you might try Goo Gone. Or fingernail polish remover. But I don't know what that would do to the finish of your cabinets.

o
Try cooking oil

I would try cooking oil. Corn oil or the like. It won't hurt the finishes, and fairly often oil will remove the sticky stuff left behind when I soak a label off a jar. After it soaks a bit, try scrubbing with a plastic scrubber.

Then, of course, wash the residue off with soapy water and dry immediately.

If you find something that works, do post the results for us.

By the way, I use Cushy Cupboards and love it on open shelves and in some drawers. Much better than other shelf lining I have used. Much easier to clean than the ridged stuff.

o
RE: Shelf liner help!

Careful with that Goo Gone! I just ruined something last week with that stuff because I failed to read the directions carefully. It can definately damage surfaces, so use with caution. Maybe you can try heating up the shelf liner with a hair dryer ... that works amazingly well to remove all kinds of sticky stuff, so it's worth a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here