Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinaustin

Bungalow Kitchen Layout Revisited

Amy Austin
10 years ago

Oh geez, so funny to see the date on my first plea for advice on this layout! We actually decided to address a few more-major/meta home issues (foundation and floors) before beginning on the project. Slowly but surely, folks!

Here's where we stand now - beyond very macho concrete piers, refinished floors, and completely upside down household (temporary kitchen in the mudroom, ram board on the floors, bedroom in the living room, etc.):

{{!gwi}}

- Kitchen/dining wall and cabinets removed
- Deteriorating chimney removed
- French doors (out-swing) & casement window installed
- Door to mudroom moved 10âÂÂ

HereâÂÂs a view from the kitchen into the dining room.

{{!gwi}}

Now I finally have precise measurements that reflect the space gained from the chimney and removed walls and am ready to finalize the layout to give to the cabinet maker. Following the GW advice dispensed last summer, I've abandoned the idea of a minuscule pantry and shortened the peninsula. I've spoken to a chimney pro to confirm that we can place the wood stove there with some requisite work on the wall next to it.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Yet I'm still stuck on one major point: the dining room side of the peninsula. Should I extend the countertop 12" out so I can have counter-height seating? Should install a floating bar with countertop support brackets? My instinct, now that I can actually walk around the space, is that additional seating would cramp things and that it's a bit silly to have extra seating back to back with the dining room table. Or is the casual kitchen-facing seating an essential feature of this type of layout? If so, I think I'd look into a narrower table and maybe even something like industrial swing out seats.

Thoughts?

Anything else that causes concern? I'm waiting to detail the "U" cabinets until I decide on the peninsula. I think I'll be adding some uppers or open shelves on the wall to the right of the stove, and maybe a pot rack somewhere, but my inventories show I'm pretty good as far as storage space.

Comments (13)

• mydreamhomeideas
    10 years ago

I don't really have advice just a comment. I have a peninsula with seating and then behind that is my dining room table and we have people sitting at the peninsula all the time. Chatting with the cook, eating a quick bowl of cereal, etc. It's an easier surface to clean off then the dining room table so I think that's why I prefer to eat a quick meal on the go there. Just my thoughts on the seating at the peninsula :) Good luck!

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

I'm wondering how you're going to be able to reach and use the toaster oven and tea kettle, let alone those shelves above them.

• Amy Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh nooooo....Catbuilder, you're right!! Back to the drawing boards. Thank you so much!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

What is the reason for the wood stove in that space?

Generally kitchen tends to be the warmest in a house when in use so it just seems like the wood stove could make it too warm and not like it is a large open area so it allows too much spreading around without using some sort of fan to get to the other rooms.

• Amy Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyfia, the wood stove is primarily aesthetic ��" a concession to my DH who has had one in that room for years. The old stove was huge and awkwardly situated so it took up most of the room. It will be replaced by a smaller more efficient model that has a glass door. I have to admit, it makes the room feel so cozy to have the fire going.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Wonderful windows! Just a few suggestions and a question. First, can you move the doorway over a bit, opposite the french doors/slider?

If you can, would the stove fit in the corner, between the two doorways? That would give you heat directed towards the dining space, but not quite so close to the table.

It would also make it possible to change the layout just a bit. I like the windows over the sink (so pretty) but I think you're right about the peninsula being a little too cramped for seating.

What if you keep sink and range 'as is' but move fridge closer to mudroom door (with narrow pantry between) and then have the peninsula come off that counter. So, you'd have an "L" for the range and sink...and another "L" for the pantry, fridge and peninsula. Just an idea :)

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I guess the return air vent can't be moved and the wood stove put in the corner there? Would be a nice view and also give you more space to work with. Then you could have the coffee maker and that stuff there and have a real pantry too.

• Amy Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lavender_lass & Lyfia, the stove could really only be moved to the corner next to the French door. I've definitely contemplated it... The issue is the chimney through the pitched roof. Once it gets to the exterior of the house, it needs more support as it still goes above the roofline. It's quite awkward and expensive to move the stove pipe. But doable if we needed to...

It can't be moved to the corner of the dining room on the other side of the door, as that's our whole house HVAC intake.

Lavender_lass, I like the idea of the reversed peninsula. Thanks!

This post was edited by amyinaustin on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 8:28

• Amy Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, after trying out flipping the peninsula and extending it for seating, I decided to sit tight with those. I did fix the inaccessible recessed shelving, opting to extend the reach in closet on the other side of the wall rather than use that space in the kitchen. I added an upper cabinet next to the vent hood, and am collecting ideas for open shelves in a couple places.

From the dining room:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

From mudroom door:
    {{!gwi}}

To the right of the sink there's a panel ready dishwasher; I've tried to leave room for various types of handles there and on the perpendicular drawers. The vent holes in front of the sink are a placeholder; still looking for the perfect design there.

Next I'll be calling the electrician, so I'm thinking about outlets and switches.

Right now we have a single boob light in the middle of the ceiling. Rather than go overboard ($$) with recessed lighting or track lights, I think I'll look to replace that with a Schoolhouse Electric-ish pendant that fits the scale of the room. Then add some
    smaller complementary wall sconces above the window and strips of LED under both upper cabinets. Finally, there's a light in the exhaust insert above the hood. Does this seem sufficient?

I was going to have all light switches next to the mudroom door. I just realized that the one I have to the right of the stove is unnecessary since the exhaust fan has buttons itself.

In terms of outlets, there's (obviously) one behind the refrigerator. I'm plotting to plug a surge protector into that one, with the surge protector mounted on the back of the drawer to the right of the fridge.

What am I missing electric-wise?

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I would ad a pendant over by the sink and make sure my hood/venting provided lighting over the range. I also would think about UC lighting.

• Amy Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, I guess I should have included a rendering with the lights I described.
    {{!gwi}}
    Remodelfla, I was planning LED strips under the two areas with upper cabinets. Are you suggesting toe kick lights as well?

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I might add pendants over the peninsula and then a single light like you have it, but make sure a tall person can easily walk under it. May just be the angle of the picture though.

With the uc LEDs and the sink, stove fan light, and above sink lights then all the surfaces you would be working at would be well lighted.

• Amy Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, lyfia. I'll keep an eye out for lights that would work over the peninsula. I think I'll be building the big pendant lamp myself, as I have a deco milk glass shade I'd like to use. So I should be able to ensure it's high enough to be out of the way!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz