Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storm18

Need help choosing granite color for counters

Storm18
10 years ago

I need to choose a granite color this weekend. At first, I thought to go light, similar to the current countertop. Now, I'm wondering if black or dark gray might be best. The cabinets are very basic in a blonde wood color. The floors are dark gray tile with a slight bluish hue. We added satin nickel pull handles to the doors and plan to replace the sink with an undermount one when we install the counters.

Comments (20)

• magsnj
    10 years ago

You go to house.com, type in blonde cabinets (our any other description you have for your cabinets)or kitchen photos, and see what match you respond to.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/blonde-cabinets-phbr0lbl-bl~l_2479)

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I must not have an eye for light cabinets....I saw alot of pics and the ones I liked best were paired with a quartz or a whitish Formica out Corrian.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

I must not have an eye for light cabinets....I saw alot of pics and the ones I liked best were paired with a quartz or a whitish Formica out Corrian.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Are you keeping the backsplash? A closeup of the cabinet and floor tile would be helpful, for those making suggestions.

If you like light, sage green like your wall color, Costa Esmerelda can be beautiful. It has greys, creams and tans. It is in the mid-price band.

• Storm18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closeup of cabinets. We're not able to put in new cabinets right now. I know granite on cheap cabinets is not ideal... but we are getting a great deal on the counter and can get new doors for the cabinets down the road if we have to update them.

• Storm18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closeup of tile.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Storm 18:

You are rightly concerned with a stone that will be too busy. There have been posters here that have had huge regrets with severe stones.

There is no law saying you must have granite. Many of the estones and solid surfaces are much more understated. Sometimes less is more.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Have you ever seen Amadeus granite? It has lots of neat colors and is a darker granite but not black. Baltic Blue or blue eyes would be pretty as well as Dakota Mahogany might work. I love your new pulls, are you going to have the slabs honed? The floor is very pretty too. Good luck! Some day I would like to see someone use that amazing Black Amazon for a mountain house. I do think you are on the right track with thinking of the gray/soft black colors.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

You go to house.com, type in blonde cabinets (our any other description you have for your cabinets)or kitchen photos, and see what match you respond to.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/blonde-cabinets-phbr0lbl-bl~l_2479)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Is there any protective finish on the cabinets? They appear to be raw wood. I would stain them in a medium brown stain and use a light colored countertop.

• Storm18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Baltic Blue is gorgeous. I like Amadeus as well, but worried about it clashing with the floor. The cabinets are not raw wood. They are not high quality cabinets, but we just can't replace them. We are going to be able to get new counters, add a breakfast bar and an undermount sink for $1600. I estimated new cabinets would cost an additional $4k to $15k and we don't want to make that big of investment in the kitchen... We got a great deal on the pulls and plan to put in new light fixtures and then call it done. : )

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I looked and looked but couldn't see any sheen on them that would indicate a finish. Stained oak gradually turns orange, but I don't know what unstained oak does. That's why I thought staining them a medium brown would give you a nicer look and more granite choices. Is staining something you might consider for the future? I think a whiter granite could be problematic as your cabinets change color. Gray or blue sounds like a safe bet with the cabs and the floor.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

I think something similar to this would look great with your cabinets and floors. There's a kitchen on GW that has light cabinets with mossy green counters that is gorgeous. But for the life of me can't find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Green Granite

• magsnj
    10 years ago

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

Hope you don't mind me having some fun while waiting for Electrical Inspectors...

Light and Dark Granite, and what it might look like if you washed your cabinets in a darker color.

• Storm18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

athomesewing bless you! This is so helpful!!! Thank you for posting the mockups. After seeing your images, I am really thinking dark counters is the way to go. Unfortunately, we won't be able to stain the cabinets.They look like some sort of veneer not solid wood.

• Storm18
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pick of the kitchen that might be helpful. You can better see the floor and cabinets in the same photo.