Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Large modernaire hood - barrel or concave shape?

lalithar
12 years ago

I would love to see some of your modernaire hoods - PS 11(concave shape) and PS 26 (barrel shape). Wonder of wonders, getting a modernaire custom hood seems to be in the same ballpark as just getting a liner insert and having a framer or the cabinet guy build something. DH and I decided to make compromises in other places to fit this in our budget. We have a larginsh space for the hood between the cabinets on either side of the cooking zone. It is a galley kitchen and I am trying to figure out what will look nicer. Painted is around 1000 dollars cheaper than stainless. Here are the specs os my space.

Space between cabinets - 57.5 inches

Upper cabinet depth - 15 inches

Soapstone counter depth for cooktops - 30 inches

The aisle space in galley - 5 feet

The ceiling is a tad lower than 8 feet

My ceiling is aged medium tone wood planks. I have a window with a view to the backyard across from the cooktop and large 4X4 feet skylight well above me when I am standing in front of the cooktop.

I like the barrel shaped PS 26 look in painted red with polished stainless bands but DH feels that it would look too huge in our kitchen. He prefers the concave look of PS 11.

Would wide red barrel hood be too big for the kitchen? The sales guy suggested 27" or even 30" depth for the hood as my counters are deeper. Will this look too deep?

Would stainless look better.. similar to histokitch's fabulous kitchen?

We will have painted cabinets. I am thinking a pale green/ yellow uppers with a shade or two darker green base cabinets. The light in the kitchen is pretty filtered and as it is east and south facing, the light quality changes quite a bit.

Lalitha

Comments (13)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Both are lovely, lovely shapes. Lucky you to afford such a beauty!

What style kitchen are you trying to achieve? Vintage? Country?

What kind of range, cooktop, rangetop will this hood be venting?

Regarding depth, my counters are 24" deep and so is my hood. My CC rangetop actually sticks out a little farther than the counters so I could have gone 27" with my Rangecraft hood, but the hood was "as is" as a custom return. I would go as deep as your counters, especially if you have a high-BTU cooking unit underneath.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Can you show us what your stove or cooktop looks like? I'd have to lean to the concave unless you have some big ol' monster range of some sort. I wonder if the barrel one would look 'pudgy' with 8 ft. ceilings while the concave one kind of curves up into the ceiling.

• polie
    12 years ago

I'd prefer the concave one in red. The splash of color looks great, and I think the shape is more elegant.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

lalitha, does the modernaire hood seriously cost the same as having a custom cabinet guy make one? i always wrote it off as cost-prohibitive but maybe need to reconsider now... thanks!!
    p.s. i vote for the barrel. i think it looks so lovely and the roundness makes you just want to touch it.. but of course, it highly depends on your decor style..

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any pictures showing a wide hood?

Under the hood I will have a 36" Gagg induction and a 12" wok cooktop. I have to work with the soapstone fabricators to figure the space between the woktop and the induction. I am thinking 2 inches but it may be more depending on the stone. I will likely install them with a 3" ledge in the front to make the reach to stir pots better based on advice from Fori (we are not very tall ;). So I should probably do a 30 inch depth huh! So with a 15 inch upper, the hood will stick out another 15 inches.

What do you think about the pot rail? I thought they looked kind of pretty.. DH thinks they are useless and be a bear to clean.. Does the hood look kind of naked without the pot rail, you think?

Michou monster --> Based on some older GW threads, I was under the impression that a Modernaire hood was in the range of 7 to 8K. As we have a irregular space (we have to fit the hood between beams in the ceiling and the vent is not centered, it was very difficult to work with OOTB options. I priced out other 54" hoods at 3.5 to 4K. I originally called modernaire to price out a liner. Modernaire quote to fit our 57" space with a liner was 2.5K but the full hood with painted finish was more like 3.2K. Still the very high $$ for a kitchen appliance !! My cabinet maker did not give me a full quote but said that to build a wood enclosure would be more like 2K. We would still have an odd gap/ grease trap on either side of the hood. Also looked extensively on ebay and CL for over 2 months. I would suggest giving Modernaire a call and getting a quote.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

thanks lalitha! i will give them a call. i did get one quote for a custom wood enclosure that was about $1200, then a quote for a custom precast stone hood for less than $1k, so i am leaning towards the precast stone route, but a modernaire hood definitely has more wow factor to me so would justify the upcharge (have to see if DH agrees though)..

• farmhousebound
    12 years ago

This is mine over my Chambers, "Baby" :)

Marthavilla has a beautiful P26 in red.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful. I have never seen these before. The red is gorgeous. What is that range that is with it?

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Red Lover, the 45" x 24" red barrel shaped hood that Lalitha has posted from the Modernaire site is. . . . mine! :-) The range is an Aga 6-4.

BTW, Lalitha, my kitchen is a small galley-style of 11' (W) x 14' (L) x 9'(H) with an aisle width of about 68" or so. Believe me when I tell you that I have never felt that hood to be overwhelming nor has anyone who has ever stepped foot in my kitchen ever made the slightest suggestion that the hood is too big for the space.

Good luck!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Uh, oh. Red Lover, I just realized that Lalitha posted two red ranges and hoods from the Modernaire site. So, if the range you were admiring was the one under the concave hood, then that beauty belongs Redrange! It's a Bluestar. As an aside, it shouldn't be hard to tell that her red range and hood served as inspiration for my own kitchen. :-)

• lalithar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marthavila, are you in FKB? I would love to see your hood in the context of your kitchen. I am concerned about the size in my space. Our galley is 10x 18. Lovely lovely hood.

Lalitha

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

I have the PS 11 sitting in the garage waiting to be installed (we're moving the kitchen to a new addition).

I found it on Ebay for $475 - a 30" stainless hood that someone installed and didn't like. Must be nice to install a $2k hood and then just decide you don't want it after all....but I digress.

I like the profile of the PS 11 better and definitely don't like the rail. You just have to choose something you both (okay, I'm kidding there) like.

: )

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'm shocked thats all a 54" MA hood will cost you. I had a rough quote of thousands more than you for a 42". Huh.

As far as shape goes, my ceilings are 91" tall and my hood is convex, although not as large as the MA barrel. I love the roundness it brings to my linear elements. I don't think a complete barrel would be too much with the short ceilings.

I think the pot rail is an interesting detail and really wanted one a couple of years ago. Now, IMHO, I think its a useless detail as you'd never hang a pot from it. I also agree with DH about the cleaning factor. Maybe the cost for the upcharge could help decide?

No matter which shape you choose, it'll be beautiful! No wrong choice. :)