Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmedebie_gw

Large island/banquette seating

ItsMeDebie
11 years ago

I'm planning a large island (12x5) with possible banquette seating at the island. Right now the idea is that there will be 3 bar stools at each end of the island, but along the long side of the island would be a curved cut out in the countertop, and built in curved bench seat. In front of that, a 60" table, and four or so more chairs.

Here are my questions:
1. I am afraid that having so many different seating areas (three, really) will that mess up the usual community feel of the kitchen area?
2. Having one side of the island really reduces the effective usage of said island.
3. Will it be "outdated" quickly?

I'll see if I can't post an inspiration picture of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (10)

• ItsMeDebie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my inspiration picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Island/banquette[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/inspirations-design-studio-atlanta-luxury-living-show-atlanta-phvw-vp~819706)

• User
    11 years ago

12x5 is more than half the size of my first house's kitchen. Be lieve me, larger isn't always better. It's often MUCH MUCH worse. 5' in width will be difficult to clean. And sorry, but that inspiration pic is long on pretty, but short on functionality and practicality. Looks like some place that the MW gets more of a workout than any other appliance.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Hmmm, not sure what to say. I find the picture very odd to be honest.

1. I am afraid that having so many different seating areas (three, really) will that mess up the usual community feel of the kitchen area?

Yes the kitchen won't have a community feel or cohesiveness to it. People sitting at any area really can't interact with anyone at the other areas, so I'm unclear on what the point is to be honest.

2. Having one side of the island really reduces the effective usage of said island.

Yes.

3. Will it be "outdated" quickly?

I don't think it will be "outdated" as it's never been on trend to begin with.

Sorry if this isn't helpful. Can't help myself, I don't like it, I just don't. I do love a big island, but I'd never put backwards-facing bench seating on it in a bazillion years myself.

• ItsMeDebie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, you're saying what I've been thinking. :) I saw the picture a few months ago and was dazzled by the size of the island, and the use of the table. It solved a couple of problems for me - take up some space, plus provide a cozy area for the husband and I to eat our meals without having to use the dining room. But the more I look at it, the more I have my doubts.

• ItsMeDebie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like that one, renov8r! I know, my inspo island is huge. Mine won't be that big, but what I liked was the seating.

So, maybe shrink it, lose the seating on each end, and just create a more cozy space, such as the picture you show?

Or, maybe double islands?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I've taken a lot of cr@p for doing what you're wanting to do. My scale is a bit smaller though.

See the unusual spot in the island? That's where my banquette will go. A bench against the island seating two with a half circle-ish shaped pedestal table and two chairs.

We had a banquette for our kitchen table in the old space and I knew I wanted to work in a kitchen table spot in the new kitchen. I couldn't make a space large enough on the perimeter for a table during our whole house reno so got a crazy burr in my bonnet to inset the banquette in the island. Many here think I'm nuts, and I think one of the reasons I haven't finished the area 14 months later is because I am doubting my vision now. DH works for a restaurant supply company so has a custom booth maker ready to build this for us.

I told Marcolo if it didn't work after it was done, I would just never post a pic and would live in shame forever. We'll see......

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I can't find a single thing I like about that island. It'll be expensive, difficult to clean, and it'll split your guests into three areas in which they really can't converse. If you have space for that big island, you have space for something much better!

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

If you go with Reno's pic at least you will be able to move the banquette if you decide you don't like it. I worry about hair being up against the counter. I know hair is over a counter when people are standing or sitting there anyway, but...

• ItsMeDebie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mrs. Pete - so what would be better? I am open to all suggestions!

Breezygirl - I love your island, and that is a perfect spot for a banquette. How cool! Nice kitchen!

IowaCommute - yeah, the hair thing is there no matter where people sit. But I see your point.