Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baligirl_gw

Kitchen 'before' photos: A cautionary tale

baligirl
13 years ago

We believe we will be starting our kitchen remodel in about a week. I thought I would share these "before" photos so people don't repeat the mistakes the previous homeowners made with our kitchen. (Although if you're already here you probably know all this!)

Here are the top 5 things I hate about my kitchen:

#1 thing I hate about my kitchen: Gas cook top on small center island topped by ceiling fan:

Please don't ever do this. I have been worried about someone getting burned or scalded for almost 4 years. The lack of extractor fan means that if anything is cooked in oil the oil gets all over the floor (hate #3). It is incredibly unsafe. I have two small children and we try to keep them from running through the kitchen but is nearly impossible to do because of the next thing I hate about the kitchen.

#2 thing I hate about my kitchen: The kitchen is in the center of the house with only one small entrance.

It's hard to appreciate, but they last homeowners added a great room that wraps around the kitchen so it is in the middle of the house with no natural light and the only way to get from one side of the house to the other is past this door (and around the cook top island). Which conveniently gets blocked by the fridge door:

#3 thing I hate about the kitchen: White ceramic floor tile with extra large grout lines. Not much more needs to be shared than this photo, but please note that it is not only always dirty (and keeps getting chipped) but is also frequently slippery (when covered with grease from the center cooktop with no vent...)

#4 thing I hate about my kitchen: General lack of attention to the design.

Here's a good example, but I could also show you a huge amount of empty space wasted in the corner, drawers that are too small, and other examples. Just poor planning...

Ok, so do you all agree a major remodel is warranted? ;)

Comments (13)

• danielle84
    13 years ago

Good god, Go for it. Don't look back. Can't wait to see the work in progress.
    Good luck.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

OMG - every bathroom in my house had that white tile and grout when we moved in!!! 1.5 remodeled, 1 more to go!!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

You've made your case, that's for sure. You won't get any arguement from me!

And now some details for the upcoming Kitchen!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

What a great idea. Tell us what you didn't/don't like about your old/current kitchen so that it gives people things to think about when designing their new space.

In my old kitchen I hated how much of the counter space was outside of the "triangle" of stove, sink and fridge. That part of the counter was never used and became a collector of junk. I had just a small area of counter inside the triangle. So inefficient.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Holy mackerel, you need a kitchen asap. I look forward to "after" photos!

• jorstad
    13 years ago

can i ask what appliance you have chose
    we are doing our remodel in march
    looking at samsung rfg298aars
    ge cafe slide in range with double oven
    and the ge cafe convection micro
    some sort of botch dishwasher

i think

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

You definitely need a remodel with so many safety issues, let alone functionality. I look forward to seeing your new kitchen (and maybe some progress pics--hint! hint!). ;)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I hated my corner sink and therefore, corner sink cabinet.

The lack of thought in that the only place to put the micro meant only a few inches were left between it and the dreaded corner sink.

I also hated the tall skinny cabinet that we had to tilt our plates to fit inside.

The 6 inches or so to the side of the stove. Not enough for a landing zone, so it collected odds and ends that had no other home.

The lower cabs had a vertical rail in the middle and nothing but a shallow fixed shelf in the back. New kitchen will have all lower drawers.

Shallow cabs over the fridge. There was a much deeper space behind them, yet the cabs only went back a short way. So much wasted space...

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

It's killing me to see that silly wine rack when there's a space below for a wine fridge. Obviously the previous owners didn't actually drink any wine.

• baligirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the support! Here's where we're heading with the remodel. We're opening the kitchen to both the adjoining great room and dining room which should help with flow and light. We're going with painted white cabinets, honed jet mist granite (thanks again boxerpups), and 1 1/2 inch red oak flooring to match the rest of the house. The house is a 1930 colonial so we're trying to have the kitchen look more like it should look given the age and character of the house. We're going with the ikea domsjo double farmhouse sink and in the center of the room we'll have a standalone wood work table with pot rack and copper pots above. We got the GE profile 36" induction cooktop and GE "single/double wall oven" which we will mount together. Still trying to figure out the extractor fan issue. Not sure where we're going with that still...

I've been thinking about this remodel regularly for about 1 1/2 years and obsessively for the last few months. It almost doesn't seem real that it might be starting soon and the reality of making final decisions is freaking me out. But I know we need to do something and even if we don't make all the perfect decisions now it will be much, much better (and safer) than what we have.

I'll keep you all posted with photos during the construction. Thanks again for the support and all the great advice I've gained from this forum. I think you can see that I've been lurking and soaking it all in by the choices we've made. Thanks!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Sounds terrific! Your choices will really fit in with the style of your home.
    We were all scared silly making final choices, but then you get so busy being in the midst of it, that you get less fearful as you go....

• Buehl
    13 years ago

A lot of good reasons for a remodel!

Did you have your new layout vetted by someone else? We all make mistakes somewhere, so it's a good idea for a few other "eyes" to check it out.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio