Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

Preview of some of my design choices: pic heavy

amberley
14 years ago

So I thought I would post some of my design choices for the new kit/DR (and LR too, since we are giving that a paint makeover too).

stools:

island pendants

Shaws sink shown with soapstone

one of my Python soapstone slabs

cabinet knobs (will be stained darker, and on one set of cabs will be painted to match possibly)

closet pendants

DR chandelier

DR sconces (with a different, not yet chosen shade)

my sideboard

kitchen ceiling lights (3)- but in ORB

Will post some more of the furniture later- Photobucket is being super slow.

Comments (72)

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

junicb- Off-White is the top contender. I probably won't make a final decision until I have the walls and ceilings painted.

To be quite honest, I haven't looked into Scherrs. Are the prices for their doors comparable to IKE*A's prices? I have a pretty tight budget, and we are already going over, so I assumed that it would be more $$. Should I look into it?

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Love your choices, especially the closet lights. I checked out NapaStyle's lighting selection which was fantastic. Unfortunately, a lot of their things are no longer available, but are also labelled "new." I thought that was weird. Sounds like they're having supplier issues?

I love your aesthetic...sort of elegant, but well-loved and comfortable at the same time. Just beautiful!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pickle- I think you have defined my design aesthetic pretty well! That is very much me too- I was the girl in coll*ege who wore jeans and pearls, played the violin and played rugby.

• junicb
    14 years ago

I would take a peek at Scherr's. We are in the similar situation (I want hand-painted cabs, on quite a tight budget, probably going with IKEA boxes). I heard anecdotally that the doors were the pricy part of an IKEA purchase and that Scherr's could be had for a similar amount. You would have to pay shipping (they're in ND), but you would save the time and effort of prepping an IKEA factory finish.

At the very least, check out their catalog (you can download it from their website) and shoot them an e-mail. You can send them a list of the IKEA boxes you are buying and they will send you back a quote for your desired door style. When I got a sample quote, it came back within 24 hours.

The sample door I ordered ($38, incl. shipping) was the 400 style - paint grade poplar with an mdf center panel. Even my wood-snob partner said it looked nice...

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherr's

• User
    14 years ago

Hi amberley
    Everything looks fabulous. I can't wait to see it all together. I think it's great you waited the extra few years because you are going to have a more unique space now. Love, love, love the feed sack fabric!!!
    Cleo

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Cleo! I agree- I think the space will be better than if I had jumped in and done it a couple years ago. I am not sure how much you have been following my recent posts- but at the last minute (after demo was done) I realized we gained a couple inches on the main wall and I was able to do my island after all! :)

junicb- I will look in to Scherrs- seems like it might be worth it. They do pre-drill the doors/drawer fronts right?

• junicb
    14 years ago

Scherr's does drill for the doors (they have all of the IKEA measurements, so you don't have to run around doing your own). I don't think they used to pre-drill the drawer fronts, but I heard a rumor that may have changed...

I only have a sample door thus far, but there are some folks around here (and at IKEAfans) that are big Scherr's fans.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Just for what it's worth, there are people on the ikeafans site who have found it cheaper to have custom doors made locally than to get them from Scherrs, so investigate all your options.

• Susied3
    14 years ago

Love your choices! Hope you're around here to give advice when I get that close!

LOVE LOVE the closet pendants! On my way to check out those! I'm thinking "in the pantry"....BEAUTIFUL

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow these pendants have sure gotten a lot of fanfare! Most of the cabinet boxes went up today- templating is Monday, so the rest will be finished by Friday.

I am surprised about the doors being cheaper locally. I talked to my carpenter, who is a pretty decent craftsman, and it doesn't look like it would be cheaper going that route. I am talking with Scherr's tomorrow. We'll see what they say!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Napastyle pendants arrived today! They are going to be perfect for what I imagined them for! They will be behind french doors with chickenwire rather than glass, with a pendant showing behind each door (2 closets, 2 doors each). I am very excited to see these get installed!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

LOVE everything, especially your style!
    I'm looking for some sconces with black shades too--where are those from?

I've got a Pottery Barn table that we received as a wedding present and really want to refinish it a more gray/white oak color. It's currently VERY honey colored. I am so scared to touch it.....you are giving me some inspiration :)

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

firsthouse_mp- Thanks! For your table- first see if you can figure out what it is made of- both the table top and the legs. The legs will be solid wood, the top could be solid, or veneered. If veneered, this does not mean you can refinish it, but you have to be much more careful. The legs shouldn't be a problem at all. Keep in mind that you will not have any recourse from the store if you have any issues with the table if you do refinish it.

I am thinking about sanding mine today in fact!

The sconces are from Ebay, but they are PB too. I didn't get the shades- I am getting something different. Those are unfortunately no longer available (they are ORB, not black).
    Try Shades of Light or Ballard Designs maybe? If you can't find one, you can always get any type of metal tole shade and paint it black.

Check out the link below- is this the kind of finish you are talking about? (look on the closeup pics)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria table

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Great choices, amberley. Like everyone else, cannot wait to see it all pulled together.

• keband3boys
    14 years ago

amberley, would you share the stain color/wood choice for your hardwood floors? Love that color, it's what I'm picturing in my mind...

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't actually decided- but that color was called coffee- I found it on Google images when looking for floor colors. Sorry, I don't have a manufacturer.

• pirula
    14 years ago

Would love to see some in progress pics amberley, if you're not too busy.....

• User
    14 years ago

Seriously, we need some pics!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

link to new in-progress pics thread

Here is a link that might be useful: in progress pics link

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got my fabric in the mail for the sink and console skirts- I LOVE it! The background is a bit darker of a brown than I expected, but it actually adds more dimension to it. It will be perfect! I wish I could unearth my sewing machine right now and sew up the curtains. I think I might do a band on the bottom in either cream or very dark brown.

• pirula
    14 years ago

amberley, any update?? pictures???

How about you pickle??

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey there- last time I tried to upload pics it was taking FOREVER on Photobucket so I gave up. I will try again!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Can't wait to see more pics, amberley!

I think I've narrowed my cabinet colors to Ball Green with either Old White or a still-to-be-chosen F&B or FPE warm cream. Wall colors may be Farrow's Cream or possibly Green Ground. Will some combo of these be just to hideous to behold?

I'm stuck on counters. The deep portion by the fridge will be soapstone, but I can't decide whether to do marble or a mix of antique heart pine/soapstone, or just all soapstone on the L-shaped range/sink runs.

At least I have a backsplash. It will eventually come together, right? (On the practical front, we're still interviewing GCs and custom cabinetmakers.)

• tkingny
    14 years ago

Beautiful choices - you have great taste! I particularly love the soapstone, though I personally worry that it might be a little too fragile for a counter. Love the faucet as well!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, so after fooling with Photobucket forever, I finally have some more progress pics!

DR closets and closet pendants!

closeup of closet pendants:

window alcove between closets:

island, seating side (with my hodgepodge beadboard- will be painted all one color)

main wall- right side

closeup of beadboard backsplash and Python soapstone:

closeup of Python on island, unoiled:

general pics:

island:

closeup of sink scribe:

mercury glass pendant:

plank ceiling (will be painted)

All the light fixtures are really dusty (like everything else) so they aren't as sparkly as they will be.

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

amberlay...so cool! I love your lighting...it is one of the best schemes I have seen on here! Perfection. Love all the DIY. Good luck and have fun!

• User
    14 years ago

Everything looks amazing. I love the lighting and the soapstone is beautiful. Did you work out the sink issue?

Wow, you are going to be one busy painter for a few weeks!

• positano
    14 years ago

Wow....just gorgeous. Your lighting is amazing. Where is that chandelier from? Did you paint it? Sorry if you already told us, I couldn't find the info. Can't wait to see more, you must feel terrific seeing it all together!

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

What a fantastic space you are creating. It's just beautiful. I'm a fool for lighting and yours is gorgeous. Please share where you got the consoles. I need one and I love yours. Thanks.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all! The lighting is still giving me some headaches. I have to replace the 3 round flushmouts with something brighter, and unfortunately probably bigger. That is a huge issue is itself...

positano-The chandelier was from Ballard,I believe, but I don't think they have it anymore. I got it a couple of years ago, and yes, I do eventually plan to paint it. I actually have a second one, brand new that I was originally going to use in the kitchen, but long ago decided not to. If you would like to buy it from me (cheap!)- email me privately.

storklady- the consoles are from Wisteria

cleo- no I have not worked out the flange/garbage disposal issue yet. So I will probably have no water/DW for another week at at least...

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

I've been looking for your updates! It already looks incredible, those lighting choices are phenomenal. Those mercury pendants....wow! Too bad about your about the light from your flushmounts, because they are really nice!

How was M. Tex to work with? That soapstone, yum!

I noticed that you trimmed out the Ikea cabinets- what did you use for the side panels and the light rail?

I'll probably email you separately for information about your contractor. Does he just do interior work or additions also?

thanks!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

scrappy- M Tiex was great! I am very pleased with the finish of my stone- and I have 2 seams on the island and they are barely visible. The IKEA cabinets have Kraftmaid crown, and some other sort of Kraftmaid trim that I used as a light rail (it is not what they call light rail). I also used Kraftmaid beadboard paneling on the island and then used the reverse side for the other side panels. I used Kraftmaid leftovers from my parents kitchen install and my own basement cabinetry install from a few years ago. Even though non of it matches, it won't matter since I am painting it all.

We are also installing a pine furniture base on all of the cabinets which will be painted also- I don't like toekicks, so we built a 2x4 base instead of using IKEA's feet.

I would be more than happy to share my contractors info- He does interior, exterior, and additions. Shoot me an email!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

You should be so excited. It's shaping up absolutely fabulous!!!

• User
    14 years ago

I can't believe the fiasco to get running water again. Can you just hook up the drain without the GD for now? There are so many people with Shaw's sinks on here; I can't believe no one has any advice.

You need to hurry up and finish the closets first thing. I am so impatient to see the consoles, chickenwire, fabric apron and the lighting all together. I think they may be my favorite thing and the most unique too.

Have a good weekend. Hope you get a lot done!

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

Everything looks great! Do you mind if I "borrow" your fridge surround image to give my contractor? That's *exactly* how I want my fridge surround to look.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

grlwprls-

Sure, but it does have couple of glitches, and it is the second box he built. The left side above the fridge has a filler pieces (due to the HVAC) that makes the cabinet above slightly smaller than the fridge box itself. We used ply all the way up, only on the left (right side formed by the pantry cab ). I didn't want to waste the space so kept in open- I figured I would use it for a nice wicker tray or something. The cab above is an IKEA cab that we modified to fit (due to the HVAC). The ply side is only 3/4" wide, but I wanted 1", so we added a piece to the front faces to make it appear thicker. One thing I would do differently- I would put the little shelf on top of the cabinet because of the light fixture.

We have to replace the lights (too dim) and the height of the fixtures is proving to be a problem. The lights are only 4" high (which is VERY short- I am having a hard time finding a replacement). If I had the little shelf on top, this would make it a lot easier to find a replacement fixture.

cleo- I am having MAJOR issues with the plumbers (my GC is pretty ticked at them too). Long story, multiple things....

The DW is an issue too. There is nothing to mount the brackets to without seeing them. I need to post separately on that...

And, I don't want to finish my floor until I know that all the appliances are not going to be pulled out again.

And I just found out that they won't get my Old White paint back in until April 5th. Ughh.

• positano
    14 years ago

Too funny, I thought you painted the chandelier. I think its just covered in dust from the construction! LOL.

I would love to find out more about the chandelier. I'll email you. Thanks!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I love how it's coming along.

Have you checked out the mercury glass melon knobs at Anthropologie? I don't know if you'd like to echo your mercury glass pendants elsewhere or let them be a special focus.

I think I'm going to do few of those knobs in my pantry or kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthropologie mercury glass knobs

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I HAVE been looking at those! I have been trying to figure out a way to use them. They are so pretty! I have such a thing for mercury glass. I wonder if they would look silly as doorknobs for my chickenwire doors on the closets.

• breezygirl
    14 years ago

I love your design sense Amberley! I've been following this thread for a while. I love how your closet pendants look there. Can you tell me where the other mercury pendants came from?

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

breezygirl- Oh lordy! Those pendants were a PAIN to get. I ordered them 3 times before actually getting them. They are made by Murray Feiss, and are part of the Martha Stewart collection- quilted mercury glass. They are discontinued. You may be able to get them if someone actually stocks them in house, but I found that most places did not.

• sheila99
    14 years ago

Everything is absolutely beautiful! I love all your pictures. I see that you are using Farrow and Ball paint, they have great quality paint and beautiful colors, but so expensive! Your kitchen will be stunning!

• junicb
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about all of the sink drama! I even did a little googling last night to see what I could find - there's a complete dearth of info out there regarding Shaw sinks and disposals!

On the other hand - your space is coming along fantastically! I love it! The counters, the little barn light over the door, the fri*dge cab... I could go on and on.

Woo!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

BTW, the barn light over by the back door (it is for the message center niche below it)- was a great find at Lowe's for $18!!! It isn't on the website though. It is just galvanized, but matches the galvanized zinc tops of the Wisteria consoles that will be in the closets.

• pirula
    14 years ago

It is really coming along! I can't wait to see it all painted. Thanks for the update!

pickle, it's your turn!!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pirula- I WISH I could be painting the cab boxes right now, but the new can won't come in until April 5th, and then I have to drive down to get it...

I am vacuuming the whole first floor today (walls and everything) to facilitate finishing 1/2 the floors this weekend, and painting some of the walls.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Wow. I don't know how I missed all this . .. but your kitchen is coming along really great!

• Kristin Richmond
    6 years ago

Are the RH turner flush mount lights flat across or domed on the bottom? I have been eyeing these for some time, but the pics are hard to tell! Help?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Kristin, this thread is over 7 years old. Your best bet would be to call RH and ask them.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County