Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorenza5064_gw

Lowes and Home Depot to source entire kitchen?

Lorenza5064
10 years ago

I am planning a kitchen renovation for a lake cottage. Best nearby source for appliances, etc is Lowes. In the interest of money and convenience I would like to purchase most of the components, including cabs, appliances, lighting, and flooring from Lowes. An initial trip provided ideas for cabs and flooring. We liked the house brand, Allen and Roth laminated hardwood flooring, but google reviews were not good. Worried about long term performance and Customer support and "service after the sale". Please advise

Comments (6)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Our cabinets (shenandoah) and flooring (bruce hardwood) along with numerous other things, like tile, drywall, electrical stuff, etc. are from Lowes. Counters are granite from a granite yard. Actually when I think about it, it would be easier to make a list of what isn't from Lowes.

edited to add: We DIY'd everything but install the granite.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 19:14

• User
    10 years ago

Source it where you want, but make no mistake about the extra amount of WORK that you will need to do to keep things rolling correctly. It's all up to the quality of the local individual installers. YOU will be the GC and will need to ride herd on the subs. Box stores aren't gc's to keep everything on track and on time.

If you aren't close enough to be there at a moment's notice, then you really need someone who can be and who has the authority to deal with the subs and issues. That's more of a traditional GC relationship.

• Majra
    10 years ago

We bought cabinetry and countertops from lowes and were very pleased with the service. The crew was great, in fact.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I have a friend who used to run a kitchen and bath showroom. We used to work for the same store manufacturer. He installs cabinets for Lowe's and he's as good as anyone anywhere.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

my parents used Lowes. my father got a contractor's discount somehow. they have solid plywood shaker cabinets with soft close, drawers in the plinths, bought all of their appliances - GE and LG fridge. they have two dishwashers, two ranges, two sinks, one french door fridge, nicely done granite, porcelain tile floor and backsplash. The entire thing including demo, electric, plumbing, cabinets, tops, all tile work and prep was 35K in a 12x24 kitchen using the existing footprint.

they were very happy with service. this is very much a local thing. Even a year out, Lowes came back no questions asked to deal with some small issues that they did not catch initially. the granite installer did a very nice job. they had something weird in the granite - like a small repair with a greenish tinge in it - they just Lowes know and the granite company was called back to fix it.

the service was superb. they are older people and this was a very low hassle renovation for them, my mother says she has never cooked in such a wonderful place.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

You don't have to *be* a contractor to get their contractor discount. Just buy enough stuff - which isn't that much. You can't use it in conjunction with their military discount (for active/retired) though.