Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Share your hidden command centers!

Pipdog
10 years ago

We're designing our cabinetry and I need some inspiration for hidden command centers. We need space for a calendar, kids' artwork, mail, paperwork, keys, phone chargers, etc. The goal is to get all of that stuff off of our counters and out of sight. In our last kitchen, we had a run of counters as you entered the kitchen that became a dumping ground for that sort of stuff - we want to avoid that with our new kitchen.

I've found some inspiration on Houzz, but would love to see the creative GW ideas!

Traditional Kitchen by Chilliwack Kitchen & Bath Designers Starline Cabinets

Comments (5)

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Hidden command center. We designed for such, but does anybody store things away? No! Tons of storage and the counters are still a dumping ground. Sigh....

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

The only thing I want in my kitchen is kitchen-related stuff. I prefer an entryway or hallway table with drawers for all that "dumping ground" stuff.

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

Ours is right next to our front door. Next time around, I'd make a few changes. 1. Deeper upper. 2. The horizontal surface is constantly coated with dh's work related papers, lunch box, head lamp, hat.... I'll stop now. I'd like this area behind closed doors, something like A2gemini's.

Closed:

Open (these are a little scary!):

Our printer is in here, too.

The unfinished window seat has file drawers. The top is *my hotspot and is often coated in kitchen layouts, assorted paint chips, and whatever else my kids throw on top of the pile.

Here is a link that might be useful: A2gemini's hidden drop zone is partway down in this thread

• schicksal
    10 years ago

Command center = designated dumping ground. How much dumping goes on depends on how well you can change the culture of putting things away :)

That said, some things do need a home. We use a small bowl for keys. Phones and ipods are ok on the counter since they're also grabbed on the way out and need to be visible and we're thinking the built in pantry/closet might be a purse home. For mail we would like to deal with it on a daily basis but will probably have some kind of papers area in the same space the purse goes.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

We used to have a counter that was piled high with junk in the old kitchen. So I worked in a 'command center' but really it was just a place for the junk. KD suggested if it was too big, we would fill it with the junk. Reduce space available for junk and likely have less. Turns out, he was right again!! LOL

We put the phone and a mail holder in this cab. I also have a notepad and a couple pens. I keep an envelope in the back for tax receipts and FSA receipts. Hung command hooks on the back wall for spare keys (we have everyday keys closer to the door) and for calendar on door. Also a clip for each kid's pertinent stuff. Stained drawer below holds other kid stuff that I don't need all the time - class lists, pencils, glue sticks, etc. Cell phones aren't in there b/c I keep mine on my desk and he keeps his on the counter under the cab with his vitamins. Then he grabs it all on the way out the door. But one phone on the counter doesn't bother me - it's mostly camouflaged by the fruit bowl anyway.

So, all the other stuff we used to have on the counter? Well, now it gets put away where it should - filing cabinet in spare room, recycling bin, wherever. We didn't allow so much space for it and we are able to better deal with the clutter now. You'll also see I could have used more than one shelf here for command stuff, but I like having the cups/filters/tea bags right by the coffee machines.