Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How should soapstone be finished/honed for best results?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 17:00

I've been reading here that some people think the wear on their soapstone countertops may be because they were improperly finished (not enought sanding, the wrong sandpaper grit # used, etc.) But, I don't know what is optimal for counters so that they will wear well. What type of snding or finishing should I be discussing with the fabricator? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How should soapstone be finished/honed for best results?

Anyone?

o

The problem often reported here is that the slabs are finished to be TOO smooth. The problem then stems from the fact that the inevitable scratches and scuffs are too obvious.

Many SS devotees like a matte finish, both for its silky feeling and its ability to hide small scratches. I believe something like 220 grit sandpaper will result in such a finish.

Disclaimer: Mine is much smoother, something like 320 or perhaps higher, and I like it just fine. Yes, you can see small scratches, but I like the smooth feeling.

o

Hi needinfo-I am no expert at all with the *proper* way to finish soapstone, but I can give you our experience and reference some threads on here about it. It may depend on the hardness of your soapstone in general, but I suspect not. Ours came to the fabricator from the stone yard honed to ~600-800 grit. The stone yard told us that is how they received it. Ours is on the softer side anyway (it is called smoke) and shows some wear with little scratches. But we have never had any problems with water marks that others have. And it is not shiny, and it feels very smooth and wonderful. There are several old threads on here about honing or rehoning soapstone. Here is one that shows one of my favorite kitchens (I hope you don't mind, farmgirlinky)

Here is a link that might be useful: farmgirlinky's kitchen

o

leela--
This is exactly what I was looking for as far as info about finishing. Thanks much! That's a fabulous kitchen, and it really helped me visualize a finished product too because my cabinets are quite similar in design and color, and I have the white subway tile backsplash.

o

leela--
This is exactly what I was looking for as far as info about finishing. Thanks much! That's a fabulous kitchen, and it really helped me visualize a finished product too because my cabinets are quite similar in design and color, and I have the white subway tile backsplash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here