Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Drawers vs. pull outs

msl511
11 years ago

Drawers. I know. I read here. Drawers drawers drawers.

Generally speaking, pretty much the same thing can be accomplished with lower cabinets with traditional doors and then pull-outs inside.

I see why it's more convenient to just be able to open the drawer, than to have to open the cabinet door and then pull out the pull-out.

OTOH, I'm under the (perhaps mistaken?) impression, that cabinets and excellent quality pull-outs would still be a good deal cheaper than drawers.

So, aside from one step to open instead of two, why drawers instead of pull-outs? And am I correct about the price difference?

Comments (17)

• caliente63
    11 years ago

With a pull-out, the only way you can reach into the lower shelf is from the front - the door blocks access from the side.

From what I have read here, the cost of drawers vs. doors plus pull-outs is pretty much the same. I have not verified that for myself.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

It must vary with the cab maker. On my quote from 2011, my cab maker had a per linear foot charge for base cabs, then a $69 per drawer charge, but $85 for one pull-out shelf. So for me, pull-outs would have been more money.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

My cabinet maker charged pretty much the same for a cabinet with 3 drawers or doors with 3 pullouts behind. I think drawers are easier/faster to get into for most things. The one nice thing about pullouts behind doors is that the heights of the pullouts can be adjusted for the contents w/o worrying about odd-height drawers in a bank. I did one 36" wide cabinet with pullouts in my new kitchen so I could have one tall pullout for small appliances and a couple of closely spaced ones for baking dishes. The exact spacing I wanted would have been harder to accomplish with drawers and still have it look good.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

I have both in my kitchen now . I love them both. My pullouts I open the doors pull them out all the way and can see all. So I would say if you do not want to do the drawers because of cost you would be happy with the bigger pullouts I know I am happy with both :) I am doing another house to start soon and its not custom so I have to do pull outs later will have not drawers .

• khinmn92
    11 years ago

I have a couple of pull outs. In addition to some of the above comments, I think drawers offer more storage space as I think you lose some space to accommodate for the pull out. You also need to be careful that the pull out is completely in place before closing the door or you will find that the interior of the door will end up getting dinged up. I much prefer drawers over pull outs.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

That is true about the dings but you can put some special plastic things on edges to stop that . Mine came with them. One thing I have noticed with my drawer I have my pans in they get heavy . I pull them out and have to make sure I line them back up to push in as I will come in and they will be out of sync one side close the other side off kilter .

• Sarina
    11 years ago

That is true about the dings but you can put some special plastic things on edges to stop that . Mine came with them. One thing I have noticed with my drawer I have my pans in they get heavy . I pull them out and have to make sure I line them back up to push in as I will come in and they will be out of sync one side close the other side off kilter .

• Sarina
    11 years ago

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

We have mostly drawers, but in our pantry there are fixed shelves and roll-out shelves. The ROTS do have the plastic thingies on the corners so they won't ding the doors when they come out. It's worked like a charm so far. (6.5 months)

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

I can se pull-outs in a pantry, like dr.beanie. If there were drawers in that scenario, I would be pulling out 3 drawers before I found what I was looking for!

With base drawers containing bigger items, that's much less of a problem.

It took some arm-twisting on my part to convince my DH to go with base drawers (he's afraid of change). Advice from friends who have them, as well as the cabinetmaker, and finally seeing the two side by side in the showroom, finally opened his eyes.

Mine are still on paper at this point, but the base drawers are one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in my new jkitchen!

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

not what you asked, but we prefer the roll out trays. for us they were cheaper, and had a tad bit more capacity. i also like to see what i stack (not just the top of it). And I don't mind the extra step of opening the door.

• msl511
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's all incredibly useful. Thank you.

• Kate618
    11 years ago

We did both. MOSTLY drawers but two lowers with pullouts for large pots, skillets. One lower cab so I could fit my juicer and blender.

• Sarina
    11 years ago

I have pantry pull outs like above love them they are so great. Can find everything. Then I have two sets of draws with pots and pans under cooktop great. Then in another section a bank of three one for dishtowels and dish cloths. The other two I use for salad spinner salad bowls big and small, glass and plastic liquid measuring cups. Then the bottom my bowls of all sizes for mixing and for storage in fridge . I love them.Then I use like Kate my roll out bank for toaster food processor, hand mixer , blades to kitchen aid and other things of that nature. I do think if you have a lot of cabinets though you can do with rolls out just fine for all kinds of items. Its has been so long since I did my kitchen but I know drawers are more costly.

• olivertwistkitchen
    11 years ago

We also plan on doing a mix. Actually, regular drawers, roll out shelves, and pull-outs (these will have all the cans, spices, oils, vinegars). I think it depends on what you are putting in them. We are doing roll-outs for pantry items and one more base unit for appliances such as the large (and small) food processors. I think it's easier to pick this thing up if I can get to it from the side as in a roll-out then if I had to reach deep into a drawer to pick it up.

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

ROTs are great for large, tall, bulky items. But I prefer 90-95% drawers due to the ability to easily organize and divide the insides of drawers, the stability of having full height support on all 4 sides rather than 2-3" of enclosing wall heights for 10-18" of storage height for ROTs.

In our kitchen, we have rollout trays in just 2 base cabinets and a blind corner for large item storage.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I'm still living with my "before" kitchen which has the typical single drawer on top of a cabinet with pull-outs. I plan to go with all drawers except the pantry where pull-outs will be a huge improvement over the current black hole. One thing that occurred to me recently though that I will miss is that on my island I can open the backside of my cabinets and easily access the items stored at the back of the pull-out shelf. I assume that with all drawers there would be a solid panel there...wouldn't there be?