Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Last Supper" with a couple of old friends

Posted by ctycdm (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 16:57

Just got word our new Bluestar and Leibherr are being delivered tomorrow! While you might imagine how excited I am, I'm also a bit sad to see a couple of old faithful appliances go. We purchased the Amana bottom freezer shortly after buying the house in 1984! Except for the ice maker quitting a couple years ago, It has worked perfectly without a hitch. Then there's the 'ol faithful Thermador 36" gas cooktop that we installed in '86 ...limping along with one seized burner valve, and two broken knobs, but refusing to die, wondering what shall I prepare tonight for what might be the last meal ever to be cooked on it...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Last Supper" with a couple of old friends

Awww, so cute being sentimental about your appliances. :) I picture them in your garage after seeing their shiny, beautiful replacements come through the door, saying to each other, "What the ????"

o

It is bittersweet, isn't it? Your new ones are good brands. I hope they will make you just as happy as these have.

o

Wishing you luck!

And I think your feelings are completely justified! :-)

The "new and shiny" stuff is not always better than "oldies but goodies", LOL.

Please report back about how you like your new appliances.

(edited for a typo)

This post was edited by eleena on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 20:36

o

eleena, after reading these forums for a few months now, I'm afraid what you say about the new stuff may be all to true :( ...I'm thinking if the new stuff lasts half as long as the old stuff did, I'll be happy

o

We have really old appliances in current home that I kept hoping would die so we could justify buying new. Never happened! Our dishwasher is probably from the 70s and our fridge has to be about 20 years old! They just don't make them like that anymore.
So what did you make for dinner?

o

That is why I don't replace appliances till they "die", seriously.

I am not sure that the new $9K Sub-Zero will work any longer or any better than the previous $600 "cheapie" (though I am sure it'd look a lot better, LOL).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here