Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Slate Inspitation, Boxerpups and others!!!

mommyto4boys
13 years ago

To make a long story short, considering a future new build kitchen with slate floors. Never thought I would go against my love of wood floors. DH hates our wood kitchen floors. We have a medium to dark slate in our mudroom and I LOVE IT, so easy and so clean looking even if covered with mud. Starting to think DH has a point and now five other boys----tracking mud onto my floors.

Currently we have wide planked medium dark cherry floors, stained cherry cabinets with glaze, cream island, desk and hood. I tend to be more on the traditional side (some french countryish), a little mix/eclectic tossed in (not too much), with a small dash of rustic. Wow, what a style, think there is a name for it:)

I'm quite certain I will have both stained and painted cabinets again. I'm having a difficult time finding inspirational pictures with darker slate floors that do not have white cabinets and black or very dark counters. They are beautiful, just not what I would be going for. Have you seen the darker slate floors without dark counters and with more stained cabinets versus painted. Also, seems it is very popular to use a slate backsplash with this combo and I don't think I would like that. Just hoping that some of you will have some inspiration for me!!! Thank you!

Comments (8)

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I REALLY hope someone has some pictures to share! We have medium stained cabinets, lighter counters (gold/cream/dark grey speckled granite) and we're going to be installing dark grey/black slate tile floor.
    I too have had a horrible time finding inspiration pictures with slate floors that do not have white cabinets. Hope someone can help :) worse case scenario, I'll have pictures of our install in the next few weeks!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Mommy2fourboys and Craftlady,

Here are a few Cherry dark stained cabinets with glaze and
    darker slate floors. I could not find any specifically
    with a white island but at least you can see slate
    with Cherry. And in the mix are a few with Medium to
    light stained cabinets. Not specifically the speckled
    granite but again dark slate with wood is the focus.

hope these help you.
    ~boxer

Larch Cottage kitchen

Baltimore Rowhouse Mosaic Tile & slate floors

Wright Works

Cindy Dole Design

Legacy Kitchens

Toronto

Ikea Cabs with Tinderbox glidden paint

Slate and cherry buy Takesunset

From Garden Web Uxorial's inspiration pic

image a from FlickR

Style KBS slate floors

Red Birch and Slate (Not cherry but a nice visual with slate)

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, seriously, you are simply amazing!! I have been scouring the internet for about 4 months now and I have only seen about 3 or 4 of these pictures.
    Thank you so so much!!

Also, I wanted to add for mommyto4boys that I found a number of slate tile posts on the flooring and home decoration forums as well. You might find something there that will help visualize your space.
    Good luck!

• mommyto4boys
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, I'm very late in responding, thanks a million for the pictures. I so enjoy watching all the amazing photos you share. To think you have influenced 100's of kitchens (or more) around the globe:)

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

Late to the game but thought I would post anyway :)

This isn't a kitchen - it's my master bath. We have porcelain-looking slate and chocolate stained maple cabinets. The countertop is ivory cultured marble. The tub surround is travertine 2x2 mosaics. Not the best photos but it can give you an idea of the light countertops with the "slate".

On the first photo I was trying to get a better pic of the floor:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Chocolate bunny,
    I love your bathroom!!!!
    Right now I am taking a mini break from sealing grout lines.
    Yuck. While things are drying I snuck over to GW for an
    excuse to stop working. And WOW, I happen upon this post
    to see a DREAM bathroom. Yes, I would love having slate in
    my bathroom. I also love your ORB and the tile around the
    tub. Gorgeous. Even the cute candles in the corner. I want
    it all.

Okay I need to get back to reality of the ugly white tile
    in the bathroom that is screaming to be sealed.
    ~boxer

Mommyto4boys and Crafterlady,
    Anytime!
    I love finding excuses to be on GW. And who doesn't love
    the look of slate. Thrilled they helped you both.
    ~boxer

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

Chocolatebunny, can you tell me what your floors are? We are looking for something like that for our entry way. Thanks in advance.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

*blush* Thank you for the compliments on my bathroom! I have changed a few things since that photo was taken, like adding a small glass shelf on the left wall. The bathroom was a not-planned remodel - we had water and mold damage (so gross!) so we were forced to put up all new drywall and flooring. We salvaged the cabinets and counters and didn't change them since we had not budgeted for this. We also have a huge mirror on the left that I want to take down and put up two smaller mirrors. You should have seen it before - I had hunter green marble-looking very slippery floor tile and the same 4x4 white tile on the tub surround and in the shower that I currently have as my kitchen backsplash. Oh - and brass fixtures. Yuck! I will have to take a full photo of the bathroom.

Anyway, the floor tile is from The Tile Shop and is called Indian Slate Copper. It is pretty inexpensive at $4.29 sq ft. We love it. It's very easy to take care of and hides dirt well (not that a master bath gets that dirty). It's a bit textured so it's not slippery at all.