Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What a difference a light makes!

Posted by marcia59 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 16:50

Many of you probably know this already, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

As part of checking references for a designer, I went and looked at a kitchen she had designed. The kitchen had a backsplash of blue-grey glass tiles. Right off the kitchen was a small room with upper and lower cabs, a counter and the exact same backsplash. When I was there, the kitchen was well lit with natural and incandescent light. The small room didn't have much natural light and the owner turned on the LED UCL to let me see things better.

You would never know that they were the same tiles in both backsplashes! The LED lights totally changed the color of the tile. All the blue disappeared and they looked completely grey. Looking back and forth from one room to another, you would have sworn they were different tile. (They weren't. I asked.)

Now, I know that color changes under different lighting, but this was an astonishing difference.

I've been hanging out in the Kitchen forum for months, so I know perfectly well that LED lights come in different colors and it may well be that different lights (warmer? colder?) would have made the backsplash in the little room look much, much more like the backsplash in the kitchen. I don't know whether the owners liked the effect or the designer didn't know enough to consider the issue. I will definitely be asking her about it.

No doubt some materials and colors change more than others from light to light. But I just wanted to remind people to look at things under the type of lights you will actually have in the kitchen before you make any crucial color choices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What a difference a light makes!

Yes, I learned this lesson the hard way - after looking at samples in the store and on a chip, and hearing about color choices here and seeing pictures of lovely kitchens with White Dove cabinets, I bought a gallon of BM White Dove paint, all set to do my cabinets and ceiling.

As I posted here, I was horrified to see after doing the ceiling that 'White Dove" looked more like "sickly dirty jaundiced dove" in my kitchen! I bit the bullet and ended up getting another gallon of paint in Simply White, which looks wonderful - white but not harsh/glaring either. I still love White Dove in many kitchens - just didn't work in mine!

o
RE: What a difference a light makes!

Tinan - Don't scare me like that! The only decision that was easy for me to make was White Dove. If you had changed your light bulbs - would that have made the difference? I'm happy you found what worked for you, I'm just wondering for the rest of us - is it a simple matter of picking the right light source? What is your light source?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here