Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Tapmaster vs Moen

monicakm_gw
11 years ago

Why would ANYone buy this MOEN "wave" motion touchless faucet that runs on electricity when a Tapmaster is $240 LESS, no "motion" required, doesn't use electricity or batteries, has a proven track record of reliability and just requires a SLIGHT movement of one's big toe. (shaking head)
Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen Touchless Faucet

This post was edited by monicakm on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 16:49

Comments (11)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Not to mention the fact that you're stuck with a Moen faucet, whereas a Tapmaster can be used with any (prettier.. ;) ) faucet you like.

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

I don't understand your point. The Moen motion-sensing faucet that you linked costs less than $400 at reputable online dealers (list prices on mfr websites are not retail prices). Are you saying that if you bought the Tapmaster plus a faucet to attach it to, you'd only spend $160?

There are reasons not to want a foot-operated faucet (I chose not to get one) and there are many people who are happy with their Moens. Something for everyone.

This post was edited by northcarolina on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 17:28

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

breezygirl, and there's that (Unless they've upped their game a LOT the last few years)

northcarolina, I'm glad you edited your message. Thank you.
    Maybe you looked at my page and saw that I've been registered (and active) here since July of 2002. I don't start arguments. I'm frustrated at someone I know has just "discovered" this wonderful handsfree water system, when she's known me and the Tapmaster reputation for 10 years! As for prices, I got both prices from the manufacturer's websites, but, I do realize with the Moen, you're getting a faucet too. Ten years ago my heavy duty Delta faucet (zero problems and looks just as good as it did the day it was installed) and my 1760 model Tapmaster was about $485 combined. The friend has a relatively new faucet as they just built about 5 years ago. Whether you use your toe or knee, it's just simply a more reliable (at the very least) product (and greener)
    Monica

• akcorcoran
    11 years ago

I hate to raise a post that had gone to sleep but we were actually looking at the Moen b/c I have kids and while I think they could DO the Tapmaster, it's not a "run to the sink with your hands dirty" and easily stick them under sort of motion? And, the Moen has an AC kit that you can plug in so it doesn't run on batteries. ;)

I think I can master the Tapmaster in a moment's notice, but do think that a hands-free, like at school and every other mall or movie theater in the world, is a little more "kid friendly...?"

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I am doing the same research on here and have been flipping through old posts. I was looking at the Moen for kids too. I have used TapMaster type faucets and they do turn on just as fast. The placement is the natural place your foot would likely rest anyhow. I wonder if with kids the cabinet mount wouldn't be better. Then they just have to lean into it which they would do anyhow most likely, esp. if they are on a stepstool. I am really only thinking about the closet bathroom to the outside and the kitchen.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I am doing the same research on here and have been flipping through old posts. I was looking at the Moen for kids too. I have used TapMaster type faucets and they do turn on just as fast. The placement is the natural place your foot would likely rest anyhow. I wonder if with kids the cabinet mount wouldn't be better. Then they just have to lean into it which they would do anyhow most likely, esp. if they are on a stepstool. I am really only thinking about the closet bathroom to the outside and the kitchen.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

My DS was not quite six when we moved back into our house after the whole house reno. He has had no troubles whatsoever using our Euro 1775 Tapmaster. In fact, he enjoys showing it off to guests as his magic trick. :). It's easy to use as long as one is tall enough to reach under the spout and get to the soap.

• gellchom
    10 years ago

My one claim to fame on this forum is that I was the one who introduced the Tapmaster here when we remodeled our kitchen in 2001. (So many GW readers bought them, the company sent me a box of chocolates.)

Besides the things mentioned above, one thing I don't like about motion sensor faucets, especially in the kitchen, is that you can start the water running when you don't want it, when you're putting something into or taking something out of the sink. I would have a soggy sleeve all the time. And I could spoil things I was cooking sometimes, like, when I put a pot of something like a custard into a cold water bath in the sink, or just slow myself down, like if it were a colander full of something I was draining.

And I would find it very annoying not to be able to use the sink during a power outage. Or is there an override of some sort?

Also, does the Moen have a feature like the Tapmaster that allows you to lock it in the on position -- i.e., make the faucet act as if there were no Tapmaster? I find that very useful both when I am filling a big pot and when there are a lot of guests.

• Matthew Rieger
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Looks like Tapmaster sells for $329 or $375 (seller versus manufacturer). Does anyone know how they work....is something inside the plastic tubing, does it operate off of air pressure? There is no water in the lines, correct? Seems like a very simple no fuss design that would probably be very reliable. The Moen customer service is tops and will essentially make good on everything they sell.

• gellchom
    7 years ago

Matthew, sorry it took so long to notice your post. If you still are wondering, the Tapmaster is a simple cutoff valve. Nothing fancy with air pressure. Very easy to install; you don't need a pro. You can install it any time; you don't need to do it when remodeling/building. Go to the website to see the schematic.