Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorothyct

Seafoam Green granite update from today. More pics:

dorothyct
16 years ago

Today was not as productive as I would have liked. Remaining appliances were delayed yet AGAIN - don't get me started on this appliance store. Plumber did not finish. Granite guys could not finish becuase cooktop did not arrive. So tomorrow the plumber will be back to finish. The granite guys will be back to finish. The electrician will be here to finish. The appliances will be delivered at long last (we hope) so the electrician can install. 24 hours from now we should really have: running water, all working appliances, all lights (pendants, over sink light in). Yet to be done, panel on DW, knobs & pulls, window sill, finish crown moulding on half the cabinets (waiting on parts from Decora), finish the custom hood (again - waiting on parts from Decora). Tomorrow marks the 4 week mark since demo day #1 so I think I will not complain any further.

I watched all the granite work today - it is so interesting to me. I have a lot of photos if anyone wants to see (it can be boring unless it interests you I guess).

The sink is Kindred. The faucet is Grohe Bridgeford. Let me tell you how badly I want that running water.....never mind....you all get it or will eventually. Washing dishes in the bathroom sink is for the birds..........

I need sleep. Now the task is for me to choose paint color for the walls. Painters are coming on Monday.

Comments (28)

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PHoto of sink makes reveal look funny because of the reflection. The reveal is completely negative all the way around.

DW is Asko.

One more task for me. Back to liquor store to stock the wine cubes.....there are only 2 bottles left and I. AM. GOING. TO. NEED. MORE.

Dorothy

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Looking good,

Hope you enjoy your Asko as much as we do. Just an FYI, one of the Teflon legs/sliders that were provided had a little nick/edge on it, and my DH gouged our hardwood sliding the DW out. So, check the sliders really carefully- we replaced the ones Asko had with store-bought ones.

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

raehelen - Thank you and thanks for the heads up! I cannot wait to try ours out! FIngers crossed that that will be tomorrow.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Wow that looks beautiful! Your seafoam green looks very similar to what I've often understood Costa Esmerelda to be. Are they the same thing? It is absolutely lovely!

Wonderful idea about taking it up behind the stove. Very cool profile on that stove backsplash area too.

It's all looking so good.

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

That was my first choice dream granite. Ended up changing due to the color of my cabinets. I'm envious. You're almost there. Yay!!!!!!!!!

• bbtondo
    16 years ago

I cannot believe how beautiful your granite is! When I read "Seafoam Green", I didn't know what to expect. I will also be doing cream cabinets, and yours looks wonderful with your granite choice. Enjoy!

Barb

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mindstorm - Costa is different from seafoam. My post from yesterday shows some closeups of seafoam. Costa has a lot more veining in it and it's a lighter, brighter green from what I can tell.

Here is a link that might be useful: seafoam post from yesterday with closeups of seafoam

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Such pretty granite!

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Ha! Costa is SUPPOSED to be a lighter, brighter green, she says with arms crossed and foot tapping ... but where exactly is this mysterious stone...?

I do love your seafoam granite and it looks lovely with your white cabinets. Funny, white cabinets would have saved me a lOT of trouble, since I see how beautiful so many granites go with them. I am glad you found such a pretty stone, enjoy it!

Sue

• jrdown
    16 years ago

Dorothy ~

Thanks for the current photos. I see the backsplash in back of your sink (under the window) and in back of your sove area. I really like the stylish cuts used.

I have never seen a sink backsplash that went up to the bottom of the window but it makes great sense. I wish I had done that or that someone at Cambria Quartz had suggested it as an option.

Ah well ............ next time!

Robyn

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Your granite is gorgeous, green and blue are my favorite color granites. Your whole kitchen is magnificent.
    Donna

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

dorothy
    Lovely kit
    glad things are moving along, not as well as you like, nonetheless moving - that's a good thing

Heres some ideas for color -
    1. I think color will really make everything look even better than it does presently - if you don't go bland or too light
    2. I would take sample of cab, stone, stainless & ? knobs, flooring w/you to paint store this is a tremendous help - make sure you go to an area that is well lit w/natural light or GO OUTSIDE -
    3. I personally like earthy colors - that's me, paint is a very personal & subjective decision - I see plenty of options in your granite

Link below is to Devine paint - I love the paint, but also the palette isn't to overwhelming so I thought I would start from there
    My choices for you
    Muslin (can't tell if it's dark enough)

Many of the colors from the Desert lights palette would work

I see grays, but not knowing you light etc.. not sure what all gray walls may do
    Mist
    not sure these would work but...
    Reflection
    reef (Both are lovely btw I have them in my mbr, mbath)

I would not do greens - although I do like some of the "cool grasses" palette but the concern with green is unless you get the "right" one you could really have competing greens
    Yellows I think wouldn't work in that space either

OK I just started playing & have paint chip near counter
    Devine hazelnut really looks nice, so does cafe , sumatra

To me it all reads "earthy" - and you need a warm color to warm up the space

Ok I'm done playing

all the best

Here is a link that might be useful: devine paint colors

• daki
    16 years ago

Love the granite and really love your unique transition from full backsplash to the 4" one. It's very elegant.

• dedtired
    16 years ago

My son also has Sea Foam Green granite in his kitchen. I'll post a picture for you later. I love it and wish I'd seen it before I did my counters.

Your kitchen is lovely and I've never seen such a unique backsplash.

• laurap_2007
    16 years ago

just lovely, both the granite and the cabinets! Hope things go well for you today.

• janwad
    16 years ago

The profile on your stove backspash is great design. Echoing it above the sink is beyond brilliant.

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much!!

jejvtr - WOW!!!! I appreciate every SECOND of time you took to give me those ideas! I'll be looking later at the link and the colors. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Dorothy

• redroze
    16 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is just gorgeous. I love the choice of the natural (maple?) stained floor with the white cabinets and green granite. Your vertical wine rack is very "Sarah Richardson" (a designer from Canada - not sure if you've heard of her??) I can see chrome or stainless steels knobs and fixtures working really well in your kitchen. What kind of backsplash are you planning on doing? I too like the fancy cuts of your granite backsplash. I also think a pendant or two would look nice over your peninsula. Perhaps the schoolhouse style or at least something with a white opaque shade.

Great job on a unique yet classic kitchen.

• Beth Willett
    16 years ago

Here's a couple pics of my seafoam green kitchen! Similar to yours! I love it! You will too! We had a designer come and help with paint colors, and right away she picked a green for a couple accent walls and the other a light creme/tan. I've had a lot of compliments on the colors, how warm it is and how well it blends. Good luck choosing!

• sail_away
    16 years ago

Wow! These seafoam green granite kitchens are rapidly changing my mind about granite. It's beautiful. Is your granite sealed? Did you do the lemon juice test or any other testing on it?

Dorothy, I saw another post where you said you now have a functional kitchen---congratulations on getting things pulled together so quickly. It must be so fun to be able to cook in your beautiful kitchen.

Socabeth, What edge do you have on your granite? It's very pretty.

• snowyshasta
    16 years ago

Dorothyct, I had a question about your Bridgeford faucet - can you email me? I couldn't find an email link on your user page. Or if you don't want to email, sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking about the Grohe either Bridgeford or Ladylux fauctes and not sure how the spray function works for them - do you have to hold it on while spraying or is it a single slide/click to keep it spraying?

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Snowyshasta - sorry I have no clue how to activate my email! Hope you will see this. On our Bridgeford you do have to hold the button to keep the spray active.

HTH,

Dorothy

P.s. My Mom has the Ladylux - I'll ask her about the spray function....

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just read the other updates to this thread.

redroze - the floors are white oak - natural - with a coat of poly on them in that photo - they'll get at least 2 more coats before all is said and done. the backsplash is only going to be painted - i did not want tile. the jazzed curves were to be the interest with just a plain or glazed paint to bring out the beauty of the granite. we have pendants now installed over the peninsula - will post photos soon - they are pretty similar to socabeths = they are black down rods and white alabaster-ish shades.

socabeth - gorgeous!!!!! i love seeing more seafoam!!! funny to see your saddle stools since i have been obsessing about stools today and thet are high on the list. :) where did you get yours????

sail-away - thanks! :) yes - we ARE fully functional! it's wonderful. today painters were here. the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to blind me!! i, too, had my eyes opened to the real beauty of granite when i visited one of our fabricators fave places and saw all of the exotic stones. at first i thought i wanted something very uniform and the more i looked, the more i was drawn to stones like seafoam that, i think, are such true works of art. :)

Today's update: 2/18/08 MOnday - carpenters finished the crown moulding at the top of cabinets and put in toe kicks. Painters came and started painting of interior doors (we are in midst of almost whole-house remodel and they started with door painting - kitchen painting is tomorrow or Wednesday). Cabinet hardware arrived via UPS from CCBRASS.COM - carpenter will install tomorrow.

I'm still in shock that this is really MINE.

Dorothy

• snowyshasta
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Dorothy, if you could ask your mom about the Ladylux I'd appreciate it. Have you had a chance to use the faucet/sprayer much? Is it much effort to hold the spray on? I'm just picturing hand cramps while trying to do the spray function for a long period of time.

On the email, I think you can click on "My Page" after my name and there is a link to email me. To set it up for yourself, I think you have to go into "your profile" at the top of a page and then at the bottom of the profile page you can choose, if you wish, the box for "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site"

• dorothyct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sail-away - ONE MORE THING. About sealing........seafoam green granite is made up of quite a bit of epoxy (the exact amount depends on the lot I think) - as such - it does not take sealer very well. Our guys attempted to seal ours but it was a moot point - the sealer went nowhere.

When seafoam granite comes from the earth there are parts of it that are filled with sand - the sands comes out and they fill it with epoxy. I learned this by researching it on the internet when I fell in love with it - so take what I say with a grain of salt - I read it online. :)

I :heart: seafoam green granite.

Dorothy

• sail_away
    16 years ago

It seems like the seafoam granite could be a nice compromise between the engineered stone (sometimes called quartz) counters and granite counters, in terms of maintenance issues and concerns about the granite being too porous. Wouldn't the addition of a lot of resin make the granite function much like the engineered stone, but with the beauty of the natural stone intact?

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

Okay green granite was one color I was or would not consider when I chose mine (not installed or even fabricated yet), but you have changed my mind! It is beautiful!

• desalles23_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello Dorothy

The pictures of your kitchen are gourgeous. I too am using sea foam green..I am looking for a brushed stainless steel sink rather than shiny to go with my granite..I look the look of yours in the photos..can you please tell me who the manufacturer of the sink is
    thanks!