Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Etch preventing marble sealer: drytreat vitremela

Posted by SDgirlygirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 16:34

According to the website, not only will it prevent staining but etching as well. It sounds too good to be true and there isn't a lot of info out there about this... ?

http://www.drytreat.com/Products/Protection/Vitremela

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Etch preventing marble sealer: drytreat vitremela

I wonder if it can undo etching? I have honed colorado yule and it's badly etched. Badly!

o

Nothing but sanding will undo etching. Any stone treatment that prevents etching will be a film forming type, not a penetrating one. Meaning your pretty stone that you just paid a premium for will have plastic on top. Might as well have Formica 180FX!

o

The DryTreat folks have been around a long time. I doubt they'd make claims they couldn't substantiate. That stuff goes on incredibly thin; I doubt it would be very noticeable if at all.

o

Sorry I'm confused. Live_Wire_Oak are you saying that the DryTreat product is a plastic top (e.g. the "film forming type") that goes over the marble?

This stuff has been recommended to me by a friend who is undergoing a remodel similar in size, scope and budget as my own remodel. If it works, I thought it was genius. It swayed me (a tiny tiny bit) to bite the bullet and go with marble for our island. We are doing quartz on the perimeter.

o

Read the link. It tells you that it's a plastic coating right there in the info.

o

Thanks for the helpful response Holly. I see it says that but I wasn't sure what that meant. I'm not in the trade and this is my first major home renovation. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just can't picture it.

Does plastic coating mean that the surface of the stone will be plastic like it is encased in cling film? This sounds too wacky for me to wrap my mind around it. Maybe that's why this sealer isn't very popular? I would think this sealer would be revolutionary if done right.

o

If I'm remembering correctly, there was a post from someone here who actually used it for white marble counters. They were going to try it on their kitchen but then thought a smaller piece in their laundry room. They showed pictures and I believe they could have a gloss or matte finish and (if I'm remembering correctly) they liked the finish ok initially but their edge was an ogee and the finish could only be a flat horizontal surface and not that curved part of the edge, so the "finish" stopped at the flat part which looked kinda funny. I remember the pictures of a blue edging around the small laundry room counter as they did the process. I think they commented if they knew they were using that finish that they would have gotten a straight edge and it probably would have looked a lot better. They might have commented that the untreated marble had the glow that natural marble has and the other did not.

I was looking into that at the time myself to see about using on an onyx countertop and I had contacted Dry-Treat for info. It was still new and they were waiting on fabricators to step up and be trained and buy the equipment. It was not for DIY. I wanted a sample and was even going to send then a piece of my stone for them to apply the finish but they needed installers first. I kept waiting and some time went by while I got busy with other things. I saw the actual rep I had been talking to at a local granite and tile place and I asked for an update. He said that they were having problems getting installers / fabricators and that most didn't realize the time involved and they (the fabricators) could not justify the man hours, training time and expense and the equipment expense for so little of their business. They (Dry-Treat) was going to pursue restorers instead. It was a real PR blow to them. It was technically a successful product but it required so much training, that they would have to rethink how to capitalize on it. I have not checked with them recently on that.

I had seen the installation videos on their website (or was it YouTube?) and they did have to use a UV (? or something) light that cured the liquid, that had to be a specific distance from the surface as well as travel rate. The small samples they did on a larger stone piece looked very easy. Easier than a finished and fabricated countertop. I asked if it could be put on a slab prior to fabrication and I believe he said he finish had problems along the cut line. Maybe they are working on it again? I'd contact them directly to see where they stand now and if they have anyone in your area that can do the work.
And all of their hydrocloric acid and blowtorch tests were very impressive.

I can report that I have used their sealers and they have been really great. I did several tests on my various stones that were a mix of polished, honed and tumbled as well as sanded and non sanded grouts and all had great results while showing less sheen than all of the others. And I even tried their poultice to clean a bad spot in a remnant that took an unknown dark splot out. So I've been pleased with their other products.

You know, a bit off topic but related, thinking about this just reminded me of my great grandmother when I was little. She used to polish her marble furniture once or twice a year with a special wax and once I helped her. It was a soft paste wax and everything beaded up on her old marble and did there were never marks if any kind on her furniture - on the marble or wood parts. And we drank lots of homemade lemonade! I remember the finish was less shiny than polished but more than a flat finish. Her wood floors were waxed too. I have heard of people saying that you should not wax stone but maybe it depends on the type of wax used? Maybe additives or something drys it out or something?? It sure worked on all of her things. I think I will try several kinds of wax and do a few samples so I can test this myself ...

Hope you can find out something current for your situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here